Amp Research B4

ThatBiker

Aug 1, 2005
I have a 1997 Amp B4 (F4 BLT fork) that's been garaged for the last few years, which I inherited from my father in 2000.

IIRC it was $4500 CAD or so, including pedals and handlebar extensions. ($0.72:1 USD:CAD at that time.)

Anyhow, I'm getting it overhauled at a local shop in the next few days - I'm wondering, how will this 11-year-old bike ride compared to a modern $3000 FS bike?

Another way of putting it is the Amp is not going to take much abuse, it was a finesse bike but could be riden in a very technical way.
A few years I blew out my fork just before taking an extended mtn bike trip. After swapping out for my old Amp B4 I was actually pretty suprised how well it held up. It takes stutter bumps and big hits differently but it survived a hard week of riding in Central Oregon.
There is a kind of bigotry prevalent when we discuss older rides, the old "why would you want to ride this when you can ride that thing, it's s p.o.s."
I also suppose that Amp has some collector value at least everythin else does now.