Amp Research B4

ThatBiker

Aug 1, 2005
I have a 1997 Amp B4 (F4 BLT fork) that's been garaged for the last few years, which I inherited from my father in 2000.

IIRC it was $4500 CAD or so, including pedals and handlebar extensions. ($0.72:1 USD:CAD at that time.)

Anyhow, I'm getting it overhauled at a local shop in the next few days - I'm wondering, how will this 11-year-old bike ride compared to a modern $3000 FS bike?

Was that the bike with the 4 bar link?

From what I remember of the AMP bikes, they had very small diameter tubing, so I'm betting it won't be as stiff pedaling or turning in.

The shocks were also very basic, and I believe they used leverage rate to compensate for valving. So you may not be able to tune the shocks for as wide a range as with newer designs.

Simple valving, seals, and pivots.....more maintainance (but cheaper than other designs).

There was a lot to like with the AMP designs. With more time and R&D they would have continued to be class leading bikes.

I'm surprised nobody bought the F4 fork design and continue to sell them as short travel race forks (by todays standard). With better shocks and pivots you could have a super light fork that eats bumps but can be dialed to be plusher or have less bob etc.