Amputee Wattage

Smithywill

Jun 16, 2013
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the forums and to cycling more or less.

I'm an amputee so cycle single legged, I got a road bike in February for fitness purposes and to maybe get involved in some cycling competitively one day.

I had the opportunity to go on a watt bike the other day and thought I would share my results. It's hard to compare my results with anybody really as I can't find any single leg results online but I managed the following:

6 sec peak wattage: 426w

3 minute average wattage: 196w

Just thought this might interest you and would be nice to get your opinion on my results? :)

FYI I weigh around 63kg and am around 1.78m

Cheers

Will

Hi Will

nice going. What sort of amputation? Trans tibial or femoral?
using a prosthetic or wholly one-legged?

I don't think there is a huge amount of power data publicly available, but times for such athletes on velodromes is available and can provide some guide to compare with the world's best.

Really though, all that matters is riding, enjoying and seeing if you can improve on your own performances. Comparing to others can be folly and misleading.

I acquired a trans tibial amputation in 2007 and came back from that to continue competition.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a trans femoral amputee, when cycling out and about I wear my prosthetic as I may need to get on and off. When on the turbo trainer or watt bike it is wholly one-legged.

My right leg doesn't really provide much power and I have shortened the crank of my bike on my prosthetic side as I didn't like the feeling of it spinning the whole way round.

I'm really enjoying my cycling since getting my road bike and I am cycling at least a couple times a week, hoping to join a club soon. You're right, its all about improving yourself.

It's good to hear from fellow amps like yourself.

Cheers