Amstel Gold Race 2006

actually i have a feeling Stefano Garzelli will do something... he's shown hints of brilliants early on that this coming weeks races will likely bring out...

tcklyde said:
Boogerd ought to get this after a 1st, 4 2nds and a 3rd. Doesn't mean he will. But.

I'm going with Valverde. Friere could figure, along with Astarloa. Voigt to keep things interesting.

I'd like to see a strong ride from Axel Merckx and something from Azevedo.
Azevedo doesn't stand a chance in a hilly race like this, even though he's in a pretty decent form. I don't fancy Freire nor Valverde's chances very well either, and Voigt has been out of shape this spring (due to an injury in the pre-season). However, I think Kroon, Bertagnolli or Sinkewitz can surprise and finish on the podium, but the winner will be Boogerd :cool: (if he only rides a bit wiser than the last years).

Alesle said:
Azevedo doesn't stand a chance in a hilly race like this, even though he's in a pretty decent form. I don't fancy Freire nor Valverde's chances very well either, and Voigt has been out of shape this spring (due to an injury in the pre-season). However, I think Kroon, Bertagnolli or Sinkewitz can surprise and finish on the podium, but the winner will be Boogerd :cool: (if he only rides a bit wiser than the last years).
Well I dont think Azevedo will be there either mostly because he hasnt been showing any form at all, but the hills? Last time I checked he's one of the best climbers in the world. Check out his ITT Alpe d'Huez. When he did lead-outs for Lance 2004 he dropped everyone save Lance and Basso.

Valverde will be there.
He could easily win since if he's in the lead group he'd outclimb virtually anyone and if its down to the last 500 uphill meters in a buch, he'll outsprint anybody, just ask Lance about Courchevel. Its made for him.

Let's hope that Axel Merckx has at least one attempt at a breakaway.....This may be his last year riding in the bunch..
Taken from Pez......

1987: The 40th birthday of JOOP ZOETEMELK
After a glorious career – winning Tour and World Championship – Joop Zoetemelk couldn’t quit. At 40 years of age, he still fights his battles against all the youngsters who have appeared during the last years. Member of the modest Superconfex team, he once again signs the Amstel starting sheet (for the 18th time !). The battle really starts at the end of the race, and Joop finds himself in the lead with Steven Rooks, Teun Van Vliet, Bruno Cornillet and the fast Englishman Malcolm Elliott. Elliott is the big favourite being – by far - the fastest one of the lot. But then Joop Zoetemelk takes off, for what could be the slowest initiated escape of classic history. He sneaks away – slowly but surely – while both Rooks and Van Vliet protect his escape. Joop Zoetemelk is celebrated as a national hero, when reaching the finish line some 30 seconds before Rooks and Elliott. The last salute of an immense champion !

bobke said:
Well I dont think Azevedo will be there either mostly because he hasnt been showing any form at all, but the hills? Last time I checked he's one of the best climbers in the world. Check out his ITT Alpe d'Huez. When he did lead-outs for Lance 2004 he dropped everyone save Lance and Basso.

Valverde will be there.
He could easily win since if he's in the lead group he'd outclimb virtually anyone and if its down to the last 500 uphill meters in a buch, he'll outsprint anybody, just ask Lance about Courchevel. Its made for him.
Azevedo is indeed a good mountain climber, but when it comes to short steep finishing hills, he don't have a chance against hilly riders as Bettini, Boogerd, Rebellin etc. Just look at the third stage in Vuelta al Pais Vasco were he lost 23 seconds to Samuel Sanchez in an about 1,5 km long hill. Part of the same goes with Valverde, although he's a much better hillyrider than Azevedo, he hasn't impressed me in any races with this sort of finishes. However, if Cauberg had been less steep, he would indeed had great chances.

I agree that Azvedo is the wrong kind of climber for AGR type hills. He needs big mts. This is a good finish for Valverde and he could win... is a good pick. But, he did get left by Booger and DiLuca last year

Results - 251 km

1 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas - Bianchi 6.21.072 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank 3 Mirko Celestino (Ita) Domina Vacanze 4 Davide Rebellin (Ita) Gerolsteiner 5 Miguel Angel Martin Perdiguero (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 6 Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) Quickstep 7 Bjorn Leukemans (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto 8 David Etxebarria Alkorta (Spa) Liberty Seguros - Würth Team 9 Jerome Pineau (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 10 Oscar Freire Gomez (Spa) Rabobank 11 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Fassa Bortolo 12 Igor Astarloa Ascasibar (Spa) Barloworld - Valsir 0.1013 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Illes Balears - Caisse d´Epargne http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/amstel05/index.php?id=raceday/EK976D7982

bobke said:

Valverde will be there.
Wrong as usua, about Azevedo who does not have the explosive power to accelerate up steep short bergs.

But I like Valverde and what about Bettini?

Well for Flanders I had a Duvel, and for Roubaix I had a Castlemain, but I couldn't find an Amstel Gold (only Amstel Light... WTF?) so tomorrow I'm having Heineken Dark (I'm sure the Amstel folks won't mind - HA!

Is there somewhere a site with live feed from the race? Unfortunately Eurosport is down the last couple of days in my city... :(

Three climbs left, peloton together but very much reduced with Wesemann dangling out the front. Could get very interesting soon.

Eldrack said:
Three climbs left, peloton together but very much reduced with Wesemann dangling out the front. Could get very interesting soon.

Big attack by Schleck. Kroon in the chase. Three T-Mobiles in the chase.

Schleck!!! Finally gets a big, big win! Wesserman couldn't even see him on the Cauberg.

Boogerd gets another podium.

Eldrack said:
Ah, the joys of CN live coverage:

Hey Eld, the cycling.tv coverage was very good even if the commentary is pretty lousy. Not HDTV, but good picture.

Schleck and Wesserman both showed incredible power and stamina! They were clearly the strongest riders, getting away and staying away. I had picked Rebellin, who did alright considering he had a recent rib injury. He has a few years in his boots now. As does Bettini.

tcklyde said:
Schleck!!! Finally gets a big, big win! Wesserman couldn't even see him on the Cauberg.

Boogerd gets another podium.

ilpirata said:
Schleck and Wesserman both showed incredible power and stamina! They were clearly the strongest riders, getting away and staying away. I had picked Rebellin, who did alright considering he had a recent rib injury. He has a few years in his boots now. As does Bettini.
Weseman rode strong but not so smart...

I beg to differ. Wesemenn was very strong and pretty smart too, he had two teamates in the chasing pack so attacking like he did was just fine, allowed his teamates to sit in rather than waste energy chasing. When it came to the finale and Schleck was on the attack that fact that he wasn't brought in was the fault of all the teams in the chase group, and once it was clear the others in the chase group didn't want to chase Wesemenn did what he could to chase Schleck down and got a well deserved second place. Awesome ride by the guy and good tactics generally by T-Mobile, they just didn't quite have the power to finish it off but second place is pretty good.