Amstel Gold Race

El Loto

Jun 29, 2004
Who do you think will be victorious in Sunday's Amstel Gold Race. Can Rebellin repeat his astonishing form of last year or will home favourites Dekker and Boogerd ride triumphant.

Hello racing!

I voted for Boogerd purely on the strength of his previous finishes. But who else? I'd love Axel Merckx to get a nice win. O'Grady is always my favorite. Voigt would be pretty awesome. All these names, save Boogerd, are probably not winners. But hoping is fun.

Rebellin seems in form, and he won last year; I'll go with him, although I expect Di Luca will be strong as well.

Someone voted for Hincapie? George could enter a marathon against the top Kenyan and Ethiopean runners and someone would still vote for him.

Laggard said:
Someone voted for Hincapie? George could enter a marathon against the top Kenyan and Ethiopean runners and someone would still vote for him.
He isnt that bad but wont win this one ;)

Im having an each-way bet on Dekker and O Grady.Theyre going to get on the podium sooner or later.

Laggard said:
The way he has been riding this season and his climbing ability why wouldn't he be a favorite?

House said:
The way he has been riding this season and his climbing ability why wouldn't he be a favorite?
Makes sense, 'cept I think that there are early season classics riders, like Hincapie, Boonen, de Peet, etc. and late season guys like Rebellin. The Flanders/Roubaix guys are cooked, you won't see them on the podium.

I wouldn't even consider George a favorite for races like Paris Roubaix or Flanders. Why? Because he rarely wins races.

This is a race for Rebellin, Bettin, Valvarde, Vino and Boogerd.

I wanted Philippe Gilbert to do well, but he's got some probs and won't be taking part.

Go Dekker :D

Catabolic Jones said:
Makes sense, 'cept I think that there are early season classics riders, like Hincapie, Boonen, de Peet, etc. and late season guys like Rebellin. The Flanders/Roubaix guys are cooked, you won't see them on the podium.
Ah, but George was sick, so he had to rest while others were racing and the last I heard (after Flanders I believe) he said he was at about 80%. I am not saying he will win, but personally I think he is in the list of favorites if Discovery rides for him.

Roadrash Dunc said:
He isnt that bad but wont win this one ;)

Im having an each-way bet on Dekker and O Grady.Theyre going to get on the podium sooner or later.

Sooner, at least for Dekker, who won the race in 2001 by outsprinting the famous sprinter Lance Armstrong.

Catabolic Jones said:
Rebellin seems in form, and he won last year; I'll go with him, although I expect Di Luca will be strong as well.

Good call.

Go Georgie!!
:eek:

Italians must be loving this race.

Anyway, the coverage sucked. Oh well. Next week is my favorite classic.

Virenque said:
Weather sucked, but I still don`t know how fog can prevent the broadcast..

It was so foggy the helicopters were prohibited from flying. Cameras on race motos usually beam the signal to helicopters which then beam the signal to an airplane and then from the airplane to the broadcast antenna.

No helicopters = broken link. Not even the big TV at the finish line showed anthing.

Virenque said:
Weather sucked, but I still don`t know how fog can prevent the broadcast..
Very basically, so don't fry me if I get any of this wrong - To get live images you need a helicopter in the sky with a studio to transmitter link on it. The motorbike cameras transmit to the helicopter, the helicopter transmits to the studio where the commentators are, the images and the comments are then transmitted out to us the viewers. The fog kept the helipcopters grounded so the studio was able to receive very few images from the live race - just the finish line camera for the most part.
Of course OLN, on which I watched, doesn't broadcast live, so you would think that they might have had time to use some to the prerecorded tape to put together a show. The motorbike cameras were out as far as I could see.

Taped the Amstel - and came home to see, fog !
Very annoying.
Throw in the fact that ES were only showing 30 minutes of highlights as well and I was one very unhappy camper.

Still sports like snnoker and GP Moto are more popular (aren't they ??????).

Di Luca seems to be getting in to a good bout of form.
Warming up nicely for the Giro.