Amstel Gold

Powerful Pete said:
What is the weather supposed to be like?
Latest runs suggest the race will start off dry but that showers will hit the area around mid-afternoon. These could be heavy though with a risk of thunder. Should be warmer than they have been used to recently with a high of around 17C:)

On a separate note, next weekend looks much warmer than so far this spring across north-west Europe with highs of around 20C

hoggy said:
Thanks!

Anticyclone said:
Latest runs suggest the race will start off dry but that showers will hit the area around mid-afternoon. These could be heavy though with a risk of thunder. Should be warmer than they have been used to recently with a high of around 17C:)
So thunder, would the chance of thunder(showers) alter any of your predictions? :p

Anticyclone said:
On a separate note, next weekend looks much warmer than so far this spring across north-west Europe with highs of around 20C
If it happens, will be looking forward to that. But the cynic in me doesn't believe forecasts beyond 2 days ahead.

From what I've seen it's something like 14 degree C peak, 40% chance of rain or something. Not entirely sure if rain would make it more interesting, and the course is dangerous enough as it is already...

Odds favouring it staying dry and the showers staying across in Belgium until after the event has finished.

I was looking at some old Amstel results at this website (which has some very interesting articles BTW)
http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/classics/Amstel%20Gold%20Race/amstelindex.html
and came across these results
1. Stefano Zanini 253 km in 5hr 56min 36sec 42.69 km/hr
2.Mauro Bettin@ 22sec
3. Johan Museeuw
s.t.

Bjarne Riis 6hr 11min 19sec 258 km 41.704 km/hr
2. Andrea Tafi @ 46sec
3. Beat Zberg s.t.

Did anyone ever see these races? Two incredible rides. I'm not sure I've seen too many rides like them. Extreme examples of the wonders of EPO.

Eldrack said:
From what I've seen it's something like 14 degree C peak, 40% chance of rain or something. Not entirely sure if rain would make it more interesting, and the course is dangerous enough as it is already...
I agree it would not make things more interesting, I just wanted to know to think more about who might do better in bad weather...

CSC attacking again, and again and again. Guess they are pretty confident in Frank's abilities to close this one out on the Cauberg.

Eldrack said:
CSC attacking again, and again and again. Guess they are pretty confident in Frank's abilities to close this one out on the Cauberg.
But most attacks have not been very successful so far. Okay, Terpstra did manage to get off the bunch and join the breakway group; but the breakaway is not too far ahead of the peloton.

Edited to add: Ha! By the time I finished this post, the breakaway was caught!

Really lit up in the last 10 miles or so, interesting finale to watch. When they where half way up the Cauberg I thought Valverde had it in the bag, but his legs evidently weren't up to capitilising on his positioning. Good positioning by Cunego, I can see him being a contender at FW and LBL...

Eldrack said:
Really lit up in the last 10 miles or so, interesting finale to watch. When they where half way up the Cauberg I thought Valverde had it in the bag, but his legs evidently weren't up to capitilising on his positioning. Good positioning by Cunego, I can see him being a contender at FW and LBL...

Good race again. Although think Shleck could have won if he didn't almost ride down the motorcycle route. Cuengo was able to shift across but Shleck had to slow.... and agreed the last 15km was electric.

Well done Bro and Drongo. Bro is doing real well on the picks with his MSR pick coming first as well. From now on I'll just wait for his pick first... :D

Excellent ride by Cunego... helping to save Italian honor in the classics season this year (has been slim pickings until this win).

Powerful Pete said:
Excellent ride by Cunego... helping to save Italian honor in the classics season this year (has been slim pickings until this win).
name the clean guy on the podium :D

thunder said:
name the clean guy on the podium :D
knowing you, you're probably thinking the presenter was the only clean guy on the podium (or the podium girl, but then you wouldn't have said 'guy') :p

confusedfan said:
knowing you, you're probably thinking the presenter was the only clean guy on the podium (or the podium girl, but then you wouldn't have said 'guy') :p
hey, dont be cheeky Confused. It is too complicated for you, can't confuse your confusion. thats a double negative I don't even know the result of :D

thunder said:
hey, dont be cheeky Confused. It is too complicated for you, can't confuse your confusion. thats a double negative I don't even know the result of :D
ok then, "conventional wisdom" for what it's worth says that Cunego was doped for his Giro win and hadn't had good results after because he wasn't, so now that he's getting results again perhaps he's on the good stuff again. I know that your opinion is that the Schlecks are both doping, regardless of the CSC anti-doping program. So, I'll say that Valverde is the clean one because he's probably under the closest scrutiny after getting away with no sanctions after Puerto ... do I win?

confusedfan said:
ok then, "conventional wisdom" for what it's worth says that Cunego was doped for his Giro win and hadn't had good results after because he wasn't, so now that he's getting results again perhaps he's on the good stuff again. I know that your opinion is that the Schlecks are both doping, regardless of the CSC anti-doping program. So, I'll say that Valverde is the clean one because he's probably under the closest scrutiny after getting away with no sanctions after Puerto ... do I win?
nope.

Answer D - All of the above are doping.

Just not as hot as previous years.

thunder said:
nope.

Answer D - All of the above are doping.

Just not as hot as previous years.
well, then that means my original answer was correct - that only the presenter is clean! Unless you're posting an unsubstantiated doping allegation against the award presenter - you're just lucky this isn't DPF :p.