Amtrack Century Route

Anthony G Gough

Guest
Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century, Orange
County to San Deigo?

My wife is going to ride her first century and I would like
to do some training rides with her on the route.

Thanks! Tony

Tony asked:
> Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century,
> Orange County to San Deigo?

Any manned Amtrak station will have one. They can also be
requested (free) from Amtrak by snail-mail. The routemaps
may also be available on their website.

In article <[email protected]>, "Anthony G Gough"
<[email protected]> writes:

>Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century,
>Orange County to San Deigo?
>
>My wife is going to ride her first century and I would like
>to do some training rides with her on the route.
>
>Thanks! Tony

Tony, Contact the Orange County Wheelmen the sponsors of
this ride at www.ocw.org. Their web page has a contact phone
number. They have training rides for all levels. The only
problem with this ride is in the Camp Pendelton area because
the Marines no longer allows riders through the base because
of security issues. I have heard of riders being allowed
through if they have a active or retired military I.D. To
get around the military base you have to get on the 5
freeway at the Las Pulgas On Ramp and, I think, get off at
Oceanside. Except for the freeway which can be hairy on the
weekends or anytime for that matter. The only bad hill is
atTorrey Pines, others here probably know a route around
this. For training, you could just do the ride until Las
Pulgas, ride back to the start, and then transport the bikes
to Oceanside and then continue. Be sure and watch the Orange
County Wheelmen's web page and sign up early as this is a
popular ride and fills up fast. Good Luck and hope to see
you on the AMTRAK century. Bill