Amtrack Century Route

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Anthony G Gough, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century, Orange
    County to San Deigo?

    My wife is going to ride her first century and I would like
    to do some training rides with her on the route.

    Thanks! Tony

    Tags:

  2. Tony asked:
    > Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century,
    > Orange County to San Deigo?

    Any manned Amtrak station will have one. They can also be
    requested (free) from Amtrak by snail-mail. The routemaps
    may also be available on their website.

  3. Whinds

    Whinds Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Anthony G Gough"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century,
    >Orange County to San Deigo?
    >
    >My wife is going to ride her first century and I would like
    >to do some training rides with her on the route.
    >
    >Thanks! Tony

    Tony, Contact the Orange County Wheelmen the sponsors of
    this ride at www.ocw.org. Their web page has a contact phone
    number. They have training rides for all levels. The only
    problem with this ride is in the Camp Pendelton area because
    the Marines no longer allows riders through the base because
    of security issues. I have heard of riders being allowed
    through if they have a active or retired military I.D. To
    get around the military base you have to get on the 5
    freeway at the Las Pulgas On Ramp and, I think, get off at
    Oceanside. Except for the freeway which can be hairy on the
    weekends or anytime for that matter. The only bad hill is
    atTorrey Pines, others here probably know a route around
    this. For training, you could just do the ride until Las
    Pulgas, ride back to the start, and then transport the bikes
    to Oceanside and then continue. Be sure and watch the Orange
    County Wheelmen's web page and sign up early as this is a
    popular ride and fills up fast. Good Luck and hope to see
    you on the AMTRAK century. Bill