Amy Gillett foundation brissy-goldie ride

asterope

New Member
Jun 6, 2006
Hi all :) Just been checking out the AGF charity ride which is on the 9th of december. Starts nice and early so it wont be too hot at the finish, and the price is pretty alright ($35).

Apart from those few salient points, this is a charity thats raising awareness for cyclists on the roads, and thats *really* important for everyone (especially everyone on this group!)

Now, im all for a 100km ride, it would be nice to get a contingent of fellow lard-arsians to come along this time :D

asterope wrote:
> Hi all :) Just been checking out the AGF charity ride which is on the
> 9th of december. Starts nice and early so it wont be too hot at the
> finish, and the price is pretty alright ($35).
>
> Apart from those few salient points, this is a charity thats raising
> awareness for cyclists on the roads, and thats *really* important for
> everyone (especially everyone on this group!)
>
> Now, im all for a 100km ride, it would be nice to get a contingent of
> fellow lard-arsians to come along this time :D
>

> --
> asterope

Web addy please asterope? I looked earlier at the Grand Prix site and
couldn't find it. I'll be there with my two sons, the eldest of whom
went off today to ride in the Noosa Tri (oh the shame, the shame!).

Donga

Donga wrote:
> asterope wrote:
> > Hi all :) Just been checking out the AGF charity ride which is on the
> > 9th of december. Starts nice and early so it wont be too hot at the
> > finish, and the price is pretty alright ($35).
> >
> > Apart from those few salient points, this is a charity thats raising
> > awareness for cyclists on the roads, and thats *really* important for
> > everyone (especially everyone on this group!)
> >
> > Now, im all for a 100km ride, it would be nice to get a contingent of
> > fellow lard-arsians to come along this time :D
> >

> > --
> > asterope

> Web addy please asterope? I looked earlier at the Grand Prix site and
> couldn't find it. I'll be there with my two sons, the eldest of whom
> went off today to ride in the Noosa Tri (oh the shame, the shame!).
>
> Donga

Silly me. Info at:
http://www.amygillett.org.au/index.php/amy_s_ride_queensland
To enter at the USM site:
http://tinyurl.com/y6zg2l

Donga said:
asterope wrote:
> Hi all :) Just been checking out the AGF charity ride which is on the
> 9th of december. Starts nice and early so it wont be too hot at the
> finish, and the price is pretty alright ($35).
>
> Apart from those few salient points, this is a charity thats raising
> awareness for cyclists on the roads, and thats *really* important for
> everyone (especially everyone on this group!)
>
> Now, im all for a 100km ride, it would be nice to get a contingent of
> fellow lard-arsians to come along this time :D
>

> --
> asterope

Web addy please asterope? I looked earlier at the Grand Prix site and
couldn't find it. I'll be there with my two sons, the eldest of whom
went off today to ride in the Noosa Tri (oh the shame, the shame!).

Donga
http://www.usmevents.com.au/series/SBtoSP/home.cfm is where you can find out more about it.

so the eldest went to ride the noosa tri... is that all he did though? its pretty hard to ride a bike through the ocean (flat as noosa is usually) so im guessing he may have done the swim bit too :p its pretty stinky hot up the coast today too (as reported by my parents.)

asterope wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
> > asterope wrote:
> > > Hi all :) Just been checking out the AGF charity ride which is on the
> > > 9th of december. Starts nice and early so it wont be too hot at the
> > > finish, and the price is pretty alright ($35).
> > >
> > > Apart from those few salient points, this is a charity thats raising
> > > awareness for cyclists on the roads, and thats *really* important for
> > > everyone (especially everyone on this group!)
> > >
> > > Now, im all for a 100km ride, it would be nice to get a contingent of
> > > fellow lard-arsians to come along this time :D
> > >

> > > --
> > > asterope

> > Web addy please asterope? I looked earlier at the Grand Prix site and
> > couldn't find it. I'll be there with my two sons, the eldest of whom
> > went off today to ride in the Noosa Tri (oh the shame, the shame!).
> >
> > Donga

> http://www.usmevents.com.au/series/SBtoSP/home.cfm is where you can
> find out more about it.
>
> so the eldest went to ride the noosa tri... is that all he did though?
> its pretty hard to ride a bike through the ocean (flat as noosa is
> usually) so im guessing he may have done the swim bit too :p its
> pretty stinky hot up the coast today too (as reported by my parents.)
>

> --
> asterope

He's done it in a team with two mates, so it's not "real". They've all
taken their worst leg, just for a laugh - he really doesn't ride much.
Actually I'm very proud of him, but there are enough poor riders there
already without putting another rank beginner amongst them to cause
mayhem!

Donga

Donga wrote:

> He's done it in a team with two mates, so it's not "real". They've all
> taken their worst leg, just for a laugh - he really doesn't ride much.
> Actually I'm very proud of him, but there are enough poor riders there
> already without putting another rank beginner amongst them to cause
> mayhem!
>
> Donga

Hehehe, the lad could barely walk this morning and was munching
ibuprofen like lollies! Said he hadn't worked out the gears by the time
he hit the hill and went up in the middle of the gears (~17x39). He had
a nice time chatting in the peleton of 150 people all "not drafting".

Donga

In <[email protected]> Donga wrote:

> Donga wrote:
>
>> He's done it in a team with two mates, so it's not "real". They've
>> all taken their worst leg, just for a laugh - he really doesn't ride
>> much. Actually I'm very proud of him, but there are enough poor
>> riders there already without putting another rank beginner amongst
>> them to cause mayhem!
>>
>> Donga

> Hehehe, the lad could barely walk this morning and was munching
> ibuprofen like lollies! Said he hadn't worked out the gears by the
> time he hit the hill and went up in the middle of the gears (~17x39).
> He had a nice time chatting in the peleton of 150 people all "not
> drafting".
>
> Donga

You werent kidding when you said that he doesnt ride much... The poor
lad! you should make sure you give him a run-down on gearing before he
attempts this 100km ride... if its the same route as the wilson HTM ride,
you do most of it on the flats, but the hills they do have do a good job
of sorting out those who dont know how to make full use of their gearing!

Donga wrote:
> asterope wrote:
> > Hi all :) Just been checking out the AGF charity ride which is on the
> > 9th of december. Starts nice and early so it wont be too hot at the
> > finish, and the price is pretty alright ($35).
> >
> > Apart from those few salient points, this is a charity thats raising
> > awareness for cyclists on the roads, and thats *really* important for
> > everyone (especially everyone on this group!)
> >
> > Now, im all for a 100km ride, it would be nice to get a contingent of
> > fellow lard-arsians to come along this time :D
> >

> > --
> > asterope

> Web addy please asterope? I looked earlier at the Grand Prix site and
> couldn't find it. I'll be there with my two sons, the eldest of whom
> went off today to ride in the Noosa Tri (oh the shame, the shame!).
>
> Donga

Did someone mention USM?

Sorry, I'm busy that weekend...

No really, I am: Kurrawa to D'bah and return 50km run. I suppose I
could ride there...

> Did someone mention USM?
>
> Sorry, I'm busy that weekend...
>
> No really, I am: Kurrawa to D'bah and return 50km run. I suppose I
> could ride there...

Is USM, by any chance, related to the organisation previously known as Multi
Sport Masochists? They seemed to be a shonky outfit 20 odd years ago, some very
creative accounting seemed to be happening, by all accounts.

--
Karen

"Reverse the polarity and invert the particle flux!"
"You mean put the batteries in the other way?"
"...yes."
-Star Trek (any of them)

Tamyka Bell said:
Donga wrote:
> asterope wrote:
> > Hi all :) Just been checking out the AGF charity ride which is on the
> > 9th of december. Starts nice and early so it wont be too hot at the
> > finish, and the price is pretty alright ($35).
> >
> > Apart from those few salient points, this is a charity thats raising
> > awareness for cyclists on the roads, and thats *really* important for
> > everyone (especially everyone on this group!)
> >
> > Now, im all for a 100km ride, it would be nice to get a contingent of
> > fellow lard-arsians to come along this time :D
> >

> > --
> > asterope

> Web addy please asterope? I looked earlier at the Grand Prix site and
> couldn't find it. I'll be there with my two sons, the eldest of whom
> went off today to ride in the Noosa Tri (oh the shame, the shame!).
>
> Donga

Did someone mention USM?

Sorry, I'm busy that weekend...

No really, I am: Kurrawa to D'bah and return 50km run. I suppose I
could ride there...

Sheesh don't get Tam started on USM. I thought it stood for Unstoppable Sex Machine anyway.

I think I'll be able to do this ride, I might be doing the Surfers crit the next day (and the southbank one the week before which is always a big event)

Adam

adam85 said:
Sheesh don't get Tam started on USM. I thought it stood for Unstoppable Sex Machine anyway.

I think I'll be able to do this ride, I might be doing the Surfers crit the next day (and the southbank one the week before which is always a big event)

Adam
USM... oooh.. carter the unstoppable sex machine... now theres some music i might have to go hunting for...

I won't be able to make it as it is the weekend of my office Christmas party where we all get put up at the Watermark down the Gold Coast for Friday and Saturday night parties.

I'll no doubt be exhausted.

LotteBum said:
I won't be able to make it as it is the weekend of my office Christmas party where we all get put up at the Watermark down the Gold Coast for Friday and Saturday night parties.

I'll no doubt be exhausted.
swish christmas party lotte!! you lucky and soon-to-be-very-hungover gal!

my work christmas party is on that evening after the ride, they were worried that i wouldnt want to come to the party after such a 'long' ride... i told them i wouldnt miss it cos i would be so damn hungry, and they wouldnt have to set aside much booze for me because im such a cadbury.

asterope wrote:
> bump-bump-bumpity-bump...
>
> anyone else doing this ride?
>

> --
> asterope

Ya got me. Just registered myself and one son.

donga

> asterope wrote:
> > bump-bump-bumpity-bump...
> >
> > anyone else doing this ride?

Still waiting on approval by the boss (we have arvo commitments I need
to be back for) - but the intention is to be there!! *crosses fingers*

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband said:
> asterope wrote:
> > bump-bump-bumpity-bump...
> >
> > anyone else doing this ride?

Still waiting on approval by the boss (we have arvo commitments I need
to be back for) - but the intention is to be there!! *crosses fingers*

Cheers,
Abby
I'm in. I'll register tonight (when credit card details are more handy). I have already obtained a binding approval from the minister for war and finance:)

Absent Husband wrote:
> > asterope wrote:
> > > bump-bump-bumpity-bump...
> > >
> > > anyone else doing this ride?
> > >

> Still waiting on approval by the boss (we have arvo commitments I need
> to be back for) - but the intention is to be there!! *crosses fingers*
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

I did it last year Abby. Starts 6am, there by 10, breakfast and ride to
station, on train by 11.30, back in town by 12.30.

Pay your money and then the 'boss' *rolleyes* couldn't refuse!

Donga