An agreeable trundle

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    I missed my ride yesterday so decided to come the long way home tonight. Left the office (Henley on
    Thames) at about 7:30 and headed off to Sonning Common, thence to Nuffield, down the hill (43.9 - so
    close!) and through Crowmarsh, Wallingford, up to Goring on the boring A329, up the big hill from
    Goring to Crays Pond and back to Reading.

    An agreeable little ride, a bit over 30 miles at a not-too-taxing average of 16.8. And now I'm ready
    for my tea :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I missed my ride yesterday so decided to come the long way home tonight. Left the office (Henley on
    >Thames) at about 7:30 and headed off to Sonning Common, thence to Nuffield, down the hill (43.9 -
    >so close!) and through Crowmarsh, Wallingford, up to Goring on the boring A329, up the big hill
    >from Goring to Crays Pond and back to Reading.
    >
    >An agreeable little ride, a bit over 30 miles at a not-too-taxing average of 16.8. And now I'm
    >ready for my tea :)

    Any particular reason for not using the B4009 from Crowmarsh to Goring?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  3. Micheal Ra

    Micheal Ra Guest

    > A329, up the big hill from Goring to Crays Pond and back to Reading.

    How did you get back from Crays Pond to Reading? Past the King Charles' Head and to the A4074 just
    before the golf course or down to Mapledurham and through to The Warren? Or some other route?

    Mr. Chilliwack

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Micheal Ra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > How did you get back from Crays Pond to Reading? Past the King Charles' Head and to the A4074 just
    > before the golf course or down to Mapledurham and through to The Warren? Or some other route?

    Yes, down to the A4074 opposite the Pack Object (can never remember whether it's the horse or the
    saddle, but the one by Mapledurham golf course). I was on the 'bent. If I'd been on a Chilliwack I'd
    have gone via the rough path from Mapledurham Mill and into the Warren :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Any particular reason for not using the B4009 from Crowmarsh to Goring?

    Only if you count already having crossed the river before I thought of it
    :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 21:56:50 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I missed my ride yesterday so decided to come the long way home tonight. Left the office (Henley on
    >Thames) at about 7:30 and headed off to Sonning Common, thence to Nuffield, down the hill (43.9 -
    >so close!) and through Crowmarsh, Wallingford, up to Goring on the boring A329, up the big hill
    >from Goring to Crays Pond and back to Reading.
    >
    >An agreeable little ride, a bit over 30 miles at a not-too-taxing average of 16.8. And now I'm
    >ready for my tea :)

    I was around there last night; Reading - Sonning Eye - Sonning Common
    - Gallowstree - Cane End - Crays Pond - Whitchurch. 16 ish miles between 6 and 8 pm, not much of an
    average but then it was on a Brompton and I did stop at two pubs and a chip shop :)

    Pete angeltec co uk

  7. Micheal Ra

    Micheal Ra Guest

    [email protected] (Pete) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was around there last night; Reading - Sonning Eye - Sonning Common
    > - Gallowstree - Cane End - Crays Pond - Whitchurch. 16 ish miles between 6 and 8 pm, not much of
    > an average but then it was on a Brompton and I did stop at two pubs and a chip shop :)

    If the chip shop was that in Sonning Common then you made a good choice - best for miles around
    IMHO. Surely you didn't ride the stretch of the A4074 from the Fox at Cane End to the Goring turn,
    did you? I don't know of an alternative route between Cane End and Crays Pond, unless you went
    further on the A4074 and reached Crays Pond via Woodcote!

    Mr. Chilliwack

  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On 6 Jun 2003 08:04:15 -0700, [email protected] (Micheal Ra) wrote:

    >If the chip shop was that in Sonning Common then you made a good choice - best for miles
    >around IMHO.

    That'll be it, just off the main street?

    > Surely you didn't ride the stretch of the A4074 from the Fox at Cane End to the Goring turn,
    > did you?

    Think so, why? It's only about a mile (to the Goring Heath turn off)

    BTW - has it stopped raining there yet? Got wet on the Paddington - Kings Cross trip this afternoon.

    Pete

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:51:14 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Pete) wrote:

    >> Surely you didn't ride the stretch of the A4074 from the Fox at Cane End to the Goring turn,
    >> did you?

    >Think so, why? It's only about a mile (to the Goring Heath turn off)

    The junction at Cane End is bad, but the road is OK as far as the Goring Heath turn I reckon. It's
    twisty enough to slow the mad buggers down a bit and you often get tractors so they tend to be a
    tad careful.

    Don't get me started on OFIAHs pulling out of the Goring Heath turn, tough...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.