An alternative to the CTC for a lone camping touring cyclist?

Pinky

Guest
What alternative national cycling organisations if any provide similar
protection to their members as the 3rd party cover and legal advice/aid given
by CTC. British Cycling doesn't seem to be my scene and CTC is no longer
really interested in touring and the controlling body seems to be increasingly
distancing itself from its members.

or do I just go it alone -- as I do virtually at the moment as a member of
CTC.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

> What alternative national cycling organisations if any provide
> similar protection to their members as the 3rd party cover and legal
> advice/aid given by CTC. British Cycling doesn't seem to be my scene
> and CTC is no longer really interested in touring and the controlling
> body seems to be increasingly distancing itself from its members.
>
> or do I just go it alone -- as I do virtually at the moment as a
> member of CTC.

What is it you want that the CTC no longer provides?

"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What alternative national cycling organisations if any provide similar
> protection to their members as the 3rd party cover and legal advice/aid
> given by CTC. British Cycling doesn't seem to be my scene and CTC is no
> longer really interested in touring and the controlling body seems to be
> increasingly distancing itself from its members.
>
> or do I just go it alone -- as I do virtually at the moment as a member of
> CTC.

Currently The Unfit Family are all covered by British Cycling silver
membership. There's only one of the Unfit Family that uses the membership to
do any form of competitive cycling (and it's not me!). Silver membership
gets you, amongst other things:-

Third Party Public Liability Insurance.
Providing up to £10 million cover for cycling accidents worldwide. (Need
additional travel insurance cover in USA and Canada).
Covers legal liability and legal costs and expenses in the event of
negligence (exclusions apply).
No Excess payable by you on claims.
Legal Advice & Support.

You don't have to race to take out BC membership, just as with CTC you don't
have to be a cycle tourist.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

<snip><snip>

> Currently The Unfit Family are all covered by British Cycling silver
> membership. There's only one of the Unfit Family that uses the membership to
> do any form of competitive cycling (and it's not me!). Silver membership
> gets you, amongst other things:-
>
> Third Party Public Liability Insurance.
> Providing up to £10 million cover for cycling accidents worldwide. (Need
> additional travel insurance cover in USA and Canada).
> Covers legal liability and legal costs and expenses in the event of
> negligence (exclusions apply).
> No Excess payable by you on claims.
> Legal Advice & Support.
>
> You don't have to race to take out BC membership, just as with CTC you don't
> have to be a cycle tourist.

Tkx Helen. I had already looked at it and when my current membership of CTC
expires I shall wave them a fond farewell ( not that fond actually). The most
important part of any membership is the "cover" it gives. British Cycling will
be a tad more expensive ( since I get "senior" with CTC being old and decrepit
(sp?)) but it has marginally better cover at the silver level.

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:04:01 GMT, "Pinky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What alternative national cycling organisations if any provide similar
>protection to their members as the 3rd party cover and legal advice/aid given
>by CTC. British Cycling doesn't seem to be my scene and CTC is no longer
>really interested in touring and the controlling body seems to be increasingly
>distancing itself from its members.
>
>or do I just go it alone -- as I do virtually at the moment as a member of
>CTC.

When I got unceremoniously dumped in the road by a less-than-attentive
(that's the polite version) motorist nearly 4 years ago the CTC legal
team were excellent. You rarely find out how good your cover is. What
problem do you have with the CTC?

"Peter Grange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:04:01 GMT, "Pinky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip><snip>
> When I got unceremoniously dumped in the road by a less-than-attentive
> (that's the polite version) motorist nearly 4 years ago the CTC legal
> team were excellent. You rarely find out how good your cover is. What
> problem do you have with the CTC?

1. Simply Disenchanted !

2. Grass is greener,

3. Too much politicing and a distancing from its members.

4 Appointment not election of President,

5. Many of their other "offered benefits" are not not necessarily financially
advantageous.

4. Grumpy old man and I choose not to renew

The "CTC" help line is provided totally by Russel Jones & Walker who deal
entirely with the case and they do an excellent job I was in their hands last
January and am currently recieving help with regard to a blind deaf motorist
knocking me off my velo last November.

My membership runs till end October and then I shall not renew

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> When I got unceremoniously dumped in the road by a less-than-attentive
> (that's the polite version) motorist nearly 4 years ago the CTC legal
> team were excellent. You rarely find out how good your cover is. What
> problem do you have with the CTC?

I'm not so sure about that. About 5 years ago I was taken out by
a car, lots of damage to me and the bike. I wasn't a member of
the CTC at the time so I used the Amicus union lawyer. The
compensation was paid to me 8 months later.

We now have family membership of the CTC so when my wife was
knocked down in October 2005 she went through the CTC lawyer to
make a claim. She is still waiting.

These two cases may be atypical but I'm not too impressed with
the CTC.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

"the.Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

> We now have family membership of the CTC so when my wife was
> knocked down in October 2005 she went through the CTC lawyer to
> make a claim. She is still waiting.
>
> These two cases may be atypical but I'm not too impressed with
> the CTC.

Well, they got me £6,000 that I'm damn sure I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
That's one hell of a lot of membership subscriptions.

In article <ZddQh.29836$%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "the.Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> >

> > We now have family membership of the CTC so when my wife was
> > knocked down in October 2005 she went through the CTC lawyer to
> > make a claim. She is still waiting.
> >
> > These two cases may be atypical but I'm not too impressed with
> > the CTC.

> Well, they got me £6,000 that I'm damn sure I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
> That's one hell of a lot of membership subscriptions.

That's good. How long did it take?
--
Cheers
the.Mark

> We now have family membership of the CTC so when my wife was
> knocked down in October 2005 she went through the CTC lawyer to
> make a claim. She is still waiting.

Has she contacted the lawyers to see what the delay is?

In article <[email protected]>,
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com
says...
> > We now have family membership of the CTC so when my wife was
> > knocked down in October 2005 she went through the CTC lawyer to
> > make a claim. She is still waiting.

> Has she contacted the lawyers to see what the delay is?

There has apparently been a member of staff leaving and no one
to take over the case then it was discovered that they were
pursuing the wrong insurers.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

> There has apparently been a member of staff leaving and no one
> to take over the case then it was discovered that they were
> pursuing the wrong insurers.

Time to go to a different company methinks.

"the.Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com
> says...
>> > There has apparently been a member of staff leaving and no one
>> > to take over the case then it was discovered that they were
>> > pursuing the wrong insurers.

>> Time to go to a different company methinks.
>>

> This was the CTC legal team which is paid for by our membership
> fees.
>
> --
> Cheers
> the.Mark

I reiterate my previous point

"The "CTC" help line is provided totally by Russell Jones & Walker who deal
entirely with the case and they do an excellent job I was in their hands last
January and am currently receiving help with regard to a blind deaf motorist
knocking me off my velo last November."

When you ring do not speak to CTC you speak to a RJ&W solicitors line( who I
believe give a very, very good service) but it has little to do with CTC!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "the.Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com
> > says...
> >>
> >> Time to go to a different company methinks.
> >>

> > This was the CTC legal team which is paid for by our membership
> > fees.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > the.Mark

> I reiterate my previous point
>
> "The "CTC" help line is provided totally by Russell Jones & Walker who deal
> entirely with the case and they do an excellent job I was in their hands last
> January and am currently receiving help with regard to a blind deaf motorist
> knocking me off my velo last November."
>
> When you ring do not speak to CTC you speak to a RJ&W solicitors line( who I
> believe give a very, very good service) but it has little to do with CTC!

I probably would but as it's my wifes claim and she doesn't want
the hassle of going through it all again especially as the claim
is only for a ripped jacket and cycling top. Her physical
injuries have been forgotten.
--
Cheers
the.Mark