An American rider with a higher VO than LA !

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
OK - put your mortgage and your life savings on this rider.

I have just found the next great champion.

No less than Johnathan Vaughters the former American Credit Agricole pro stated that he has the highest VOmax rider in the US.
(well the urban myth pedalled by the LA supporters is that he had the highest
VOmax ever ever in the history of all mankind).

Johnathan Vaughters is bringing his team to race the Ras Tailteann here in Ireland next week.
Vaughters formed the TIAA – CREF team and says :

"According to Vaughters, McGregor is likely to be on the squad for the FBD Insurance Rás. So too Blake Caldwell, a twelve-time junior national champion in the United States. ‘The two guys are very talented,’ he says. ‘Blake is probably the most accomplished junior rider to ever come out of the US. And Ian can win a stage for sure. I have no doubt in my mind, because he is an enormous talent. He has higher VO2 max numbers than Lance Armstrong. He is really an impressive athlete, but is real up and down right now. One day he is great and the next day he is bad. What he needs to do is build a base, and that is what riding a race such as the Rás is all about.’

So put yer house on Ian McGregor - you know he's the best !

Greg Lemond had a VO2 max GREATER than Lance and sustainable power per kilo---and you did not see him doing the 'win-n-out-dance' with 2 kilometers to go on a mountain top finale. That is the juice talking.

Greg Strock had a VO2 EQUAL to Lance---and sustainable power per kilo. (He is still sick)

The motor is part of it. The fuel/juice chemistry another huge piece. And it is trial & error and lots of lab techs to get those medications tweaked just so.

VO2 doesn't win the race--else we could just phone in the test and cancel the race.

limerickman said:
OK - put your mortgage and your life savings on this rider.

I have just found the next great champion.

No less than Johnathan Vaughters the former American Credit Agricole pro stated that he has the highest VOmax rider in the US.
(well the urban myth pedalled by the LA supporters is that he had the highest
VOmax ever ever in the history of all mankind).

Johnathan Vaughters is bringing his team to race the Ras Tailteann here in Ireland next week.
Vaughters formed the TIAA – CREF team and says :

"According to Vaughters, McGregor is likely to be on the squad for the FBD Insurance Rás. So too Blake Caldwell, a twelve-time junior national champion in the United States. ‘The two guys are very talented,’ he says. ‘Blake is probably the most accomplished junior rider to ever come out of the US. And Ian can win a stage for sure. I have no doubt in my mind, because he is an enormous talent. He has higher VO2 max numbers than Lance Armstrong. He is really an impressive athlete, but is real up and down right now. One day he is great and the next day he is bad. What he needs to do is build a base, and that is what riding a race such as the Rás is all about.’

So put yer house on Ian McGregor - you know he's the best !

Lemond tested at or near 90ml/kg/min and the highest I've seen on Armstrong is 85ml/kg/min. Carmichael has made the comment that VO2 isn't the end all be all for performance.

azdroptop said:
Lemond tested at or near 90ml/kg/min and the highest I've seen on Armstrong is 85ml/kg/min. Carmichael has made the comment that VO2 isn't the end all be all for performance.
I think Armstrong's biggest attribute is his head! He can handle tremendous stress and pressure without faultering. He is extremely motivated and disciplined. He is very methodical and meticulous with his training regimen , diet, and equipment choices, and he has a winning attitude! These qualities, coupled with his genetics create the "Total Package!" And, of course, Flyer will say that he is on the best drugs! ;)

I think Armstrong's biggest attribute is his head! He can handle tremendous stress and pressure without faultering. He is extremely motivated and disciplined. He is very methodical and meticulous with his training regimen , diet, and equipment choices, and he has a winning attitude! These qualities, coupled with his genetics create the "Total Package!" And, of course, Flyer will say that he is on the best drugs! ;)

This thread showed up in the similar threads listing :D Flyer was right all along!

To date, his best result in the tour de France is 36th, his results aren't anything special and definitely not "Total Package!".