An Apology

Andrew Morris

Guest
I'd like to retract my flippant opinion, that I believed the
Nudie Ride was "just wrong"...

Unfortunately, I was attempting to be humorous, obviously
something I am not very good at, as my comment appears to
have generated several hundred posts as a result of an
individual who believes my Newsgroup Etiquette is
substandard.

Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the
Newsgroup, which is incidentally unmoderated.

Spam, too, is clearly a breach of Newsgroup Etiquette, and
the individual in question, appears to delight in
occupying people's precious bandwidth with repetitive,
meaningless waffle.

Having been abused, wished to be dead, and generally
berated, I will become a silent viewer of this newsgroup,
and decline to offer any contribution in the future.
Should further abuse be directed towards myself, I will
direct it to the ISP of the individual in question, or
take matters further.

THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which it
wasn't, and thanks to those who stood up for a weak belief
that the Usenet is an unmoderated medium, not to be ruled
through bombastic opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew

"Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'd like to retract my flippant opinion, that I believed
> the Nudie Ride was "just wrong"...
>
> Unfortunately, I was attempting to be humorous, obviously
> something I am not very good at, as my comment appears to
> have generated several hundred posts as a result of an
> individual who believes my Newsgroup Etiquette is
> substandard.
>
> Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the
> Newsgroup, which is incidentally unmoderated.

It breaches Usenet etiquette, full stop. It's not specific
to this group. And that this group is unmoderated is not any
sort of excuse for selfishness and stupidity, which is
exactly what top posting is and why Usenet etiquette guides
advocate bottom or inline posting.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm

http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

> Spam, too, is clearly a breach of Newsgroup Etiquette, and
> the individual in question, appears to delight in
> occupying people's precious bandwidth with repetitive,
> meaningless waffle.

Er, no. As usual you don't have a clue so just leave it
alone.

> Having been abused, wished to be dead, and generally
> berated, I will become a silent viewer of this newsgroup,
> and decline to offer any contribution in the future.
> Should further abuse be directed towards myself, I will
> direct it to the ISP of the individual in question, or
> take matters further.

to you in a news group. Given that you are the one breaching
well known and understand netiquette in this instance the
good ones won't give you so much as the time of day. And
that doesn't even begin to cover the implied off-line threat
you made towards me because you didn't like my rhetoric. The
only person who's done anything the least bit actionable is
you, sunshine.

> THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which
> it wasn't, and thanks to those who stood up for a weak
> belief that the Usenet is an unmoderated medium, not to be
> ruled through bombastic opinion.

It's the top-posters who are trying to "rule through
bombastic opinion". They have to because they don't have a
rational leg to stand on.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

[snip]

rude
> to you in a news group. Given that you are the one
> breaching well known
and
> understand netiquette in this instance the good ones won't
> give you so
much
> as the time of day. And that doesn't even begin to cover
> the implied off-line threat you made towards me because
> you didn't like my rhetoric. The only person who's done
> anything the least bit actionable is you, sunshine.

Off-line threat? I wouldnt waste the effort, on someone who
has nothing better to do with themselves.

> > THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which
> > it wasn't, and thanks to those who stood up for a weak
> > belief that the Usenet is an unmoderated medium, not to
> > be ruled through bombastic opinion.
>
> It's the top-posters who are trying to "rule through
> bombastic opinion". They have to because they don't have a
> rational leg to stand on.

Unlike those who don't have a rational bone in their body.

I've had enough of this. No more aus.bicycle for me until
it's moderated.

"Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [snip]
>

>> been rude to you in a news group. Given that you are the
>> one breaching well known and understand netiquette in
>> this instance the good ones won't give you so much as the
>> time of day. And that doesn't even begin to cover the
>> implied off-line threat you made towards me because you
>> didn't like my rhetoric. The only person who's done
>> anything the least bit actionable is you, sunshine.
>
> Off-line threat? I wouldnt waste the effort, on someone
> who has nothing better to do with themselves.

Yes, implied threat: "Now you'd really better hope and pray
we never meet..." (Message id
[email protected]).

>>> THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which
>>> it wasn't, and thanks to those who stood up for a weak
>>> belief that the Usenet is an unmoderated medium, not to
>>> be ruled through bombastic opinion.
>>
>> It's the top-posters who are trying to "rule through
>> bombastic opinion". They have to because they don't have
>> a rational leg to stand on.
>
> Unlike those who don't have a rational bone in their body.
>
> I've had enough of this. No more aus.bicycle for me until
> it's moderated.

In your dreams. All you've ever had to do to get on is
inline or bottom post but no, you had to cause trouble and
now you've got the bloody gall to try to blame me. Get
over yourself.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to retract my flippant opinion, that I believed
> the Nudie Ride
was
> "just wrong"...
>
> Unfortunately, I was attempting to be humorous, obviously
> something I am
not
> very good at, as my comment appears to have generated
> several hundred
posts
> as a result of an individual who believes my Newsgroup
> Etiquette is substandard.
>
> Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the
> Newsgroup, which
is
> incidentally unmoderated.
>
> Spam, too, is clearly a breach of Newsgroup Etiquette, and
> the individual
in
> question, appears to delight in occupying people's
> precious bandwidth with repetitive, meaningless waffle.
>
> Having been abused, wished to be dead, and generally
> berated, I will
become
> a silent viewer of this newsgroup, and decline to offer
> any contribution
in
> the future. Should further abuse be directed towards
> myself, I will
direct
> it to the ISP of the individual in question, or take
> matters further.
>
> THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which
> it wasn't, and thanks to those who stood up for a weak
> belief that the Usenet is an unmoderated medium, not to be
> ruled through bombastic opinion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

Who cares? *yawns* It's the 'net!

"Andrew Morris" wrote
> I'd like to retract my flippant opinion, that I believed
> the Nudie Ride
was
> "just wrong"...
>
> Unfortunately, I was attempting to be humorous, obviously
> something I am
not
> very good at, as my comment appears to have generated
> several hundred
posts
> as a result of an individual who believes my Newsgroup
> Etiquette is substandard.
>
> Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the
> Newsgroup, which
is
> incidentally unmoderated.

> THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which
> it wasn't, and thanks to those who stood up for a weak
> belief that the Usenet is an unmoderated medium, not to be
> ruled through bombastic opinion.

Keep posting Andrew and ignore or block DRS. Usenet is an
unmoderated forum and anyone is entitled to post what and
how they like. Some things you do will annoy some people. (I
prefer bottom posting but it doesn't upset me if others top-
post). What annoys me is people who don't snip anything, but
hey, that's my problem.

Some people (like DRS) are anal about it. But then, he's
probably anal about a lot of things. Not worth wasting
100 posts on.

Cheers

Theo

"DRS" wrote
> It breaches Usenet etiquette, full stop. It's not specific
> to this group. And that this group is unmoderated is not
> any sort of excuse for
selfishness
> and stupidity, which is exactly what top posting is and
> why Usenet
etiquette
> guides advocate bottom or inline posting.

Don't be so bloody anal DRS. Top-posting will not be the end
of the world, or even the end of usenet. Leading by example
is better than preaching.

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "DRS" wrote
> > It breaches Usenet etiquette, full stop. It's not
> > specific to this
group.
> > And that this group is unmoderated is not any sort of
> > excuse for
> selfishness
> > and stupidity, which is exactly what top posting is and
> > why Usenet
> etiquette
> > guides advocate bottom or inline posting.
>
> Don't be so bloody anal DRS. Top-posting will not be the
> end of the world, or even the end of usenet. Leading by
> example is better than preaching.
>
> Theo

Just drop the whole thing and allow everyone to calm down.
Don't argue, don't reply. Move on. Let's talk about the
thing we all love and have in common... BIKES..Yaaayyy!

Marty

Originally posted by Andrew Morris

(snip)

Having been abused, wished to be dead, and generally
berated, I will become a silent viewer of this newsgroup,
and decline to offer any contribution in the future.

(snip)

Andrew,

You should not give up contributing to the community if you believe in your contribution. Bitter individual confrontations should not discourage you or any one else. Any discussion group or forum would be dead boring if all users agreed all the time. Keep on reading and posting.

Cheers,
Amir.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:22:29 +1000, Andrew Morris <[email protected]> Wrote :

> Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the
> Newsgroup, which is incidentally unmoderated.

HUMBUG wrote:

Given the state of the newsgroup at the moment, I think I
might have to switch to a reader that supports a kill file
(currently using Netscape and pretty sure it doesn't).
Anyone got a suggestion? Must be a) free,
b) not IE/Outlook Express c) run on XP.

DaveB

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andrew Morris wrote:
> > (snip) Having been abused, wished to be dead, and
> > generally berated, I will become a silent viewer of
> > this newsgroup, and decline to offer any contribution
> > in the future. (snip)
>

> Andrew,
>
> You should not give up contributing to the community if
> you believe in your contribution. Bitter individual
> confrontations should not discourage you or any one else.
> Any discussion group or forum would be dead boring if all
> users agreed all the time. Keep on reading and posting.
>
> Cheers, Amir.

However, in general, once an argument has gone past about
three "back and forths" the issue is unlikely to be resolved
and it usually degrades to personal abuse. At that point
it's best to ignore the thread altogether and find something
new to chat about.

Marty

DaveB wrote:

> Given the state of the newsgroup at the moment, I think I
> might have to switch to a reader that supports a kill file
> (currently using Netscape and pretty sure it doesn't).
> Anyone got a suggestion? Must be a) free,
> b) not IE/Outlook Express c) run on XP.

Mozilla Thunderbird has a filtering system.

Originally posted by Marty Wallace

(snip)

However, in general, once an argument has gone past about
three "back and forths" the issue is unlikely to be resolved
and it usually degrades to personal abuse. At that point
it's best to ignore the thread altogether and find something
new to chat about.

Marty

Couldn't agree more, Marty. Exit is the best action when line of discussion is degraded. When there are logic and substance, and common courtesy to back them up, though, diverse opinions and discussions are all constructive and interesting.

Take the "nude riding" for instance. Don't you think the diversity of opinions as to whether or not to shave before the ride is all exciting? I am down to make up my wandering mind ;)

Cheers,
Amir.

Evan wrote:

> DaveB wrote:
>>
>> Given the state of the newsgroup at the moment, I think I
>> might have to switch to a reader that supports a kill
>> file (currently using Netscape and pretty sure it
>> doesn't). Anyone got a suggestion? Must be a) free,
>> b) not IE/Outlook Express c) run on XP.
>>

> Mozilla Thunderbird has a filtering system.

Or try Gravity.

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Keep posting Andrew. Your contributions are worthwhile.

Second that!
I too had a run in with Drs with him falsely accusing of all kinds of stuff but we seem to have 'come to some kind of understanding' as we just talk bikes now and I am less likely to get sucked in

Originally posted by flyingdutch
Second that!
I too had a run in with Drs with him falsely accusing of all kinds of stuff but we seem to have 'come to some kind of understanding' as we just talk bikes now and I am less likely to get sucked in

Interestingly, yours was on a different subject, as was my short run.

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "DRS" wrote
>> It breaches Usenet etiquette, full stop. It's not
>> specific to this group. And that this group is
>> unmoderated is not any sort of excuse for selfishness and
>> stupidity, which is exactly what top posting is and why
>> Usenet etiquette guides advocate bottom or inline
>> posting.
>
> Don't be so bloody anal DRS. Top-posting will not be the
> end of the world, or even the end of usenet. Leading by
> example is better than preaching.

I do lead by example. But I will not be silent on this. Top
posting is wrong. It is selfish, inconsiderate and stupid.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> cfsmtb wrote:
> > Keep posting Andrew. Your contributions are
> > worthwhile.
>
> Second that! I too had a run in with Drs with him falsely
> accusing of all kinds of stuff

That is not true. Google is my friend. You did say the false
things about *me* I accused *you* of and I cited your own
posts to prove it. Must I do it again?

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?