An Article About Carbon Bikes

Originally Posted by jhuskey

Yep all Sunday cars. Drive them on the weekend and put em back in the shop on Monday.
I use to own British and Italian sports cars, and while none were fantastic cars the British jobs were pure trash, at least the Alfa you could spend more time driving then repairing. The later Alfas of the 80's were extremely reliable...more so than a lot of small American cars of that era! Of the British jobs I owned 59 MGA, 73 Lotus Europa JPS, and a 74 Triumph TR6; of those three the TR6 was the most reliable but it still required a lot of attention which is why I no longer own any of those. Locally there is a 61 MGA for sale for $43,000! I wouldn't touch that car for $4,300! And it isn't even in concourse condition, I pointed out several non factory parts just from a quick glance and surprised the sales person. That MGA was the worst car I ever owned, it was like driving a piece of glass. Italian wise I only owned one, a 85 Alfa Romeo, other than the suspension causing some issues the rest of the car was fine. The most reliable small sports car I ever owned was a 81 Nissan 280zx turbo but I didn't like it because it was T-top and not a true convertible, but I sold it with 324,000 miles on it and it still ran like new!.

Brit cars are mainly garbage. I owned several...MG's, a Triumph, a Healey and a ****ing Sunbeam. All pure, unadulterated trash. Eyetalyun cars are not much better and in some cases much worse.

For all their well known lack of quality they do inspire some amount of passion.

The only passion a Miata inspires is between two gays hoping for quick oral sex behind a tree.(The Disclaimer: "Not that there's anything wrong with that.".)

The Mulletmobile? Well, if any car company, located anywhere on the planet, can somehow invest enough money into figuring out how to build a car with even LESS quality than the 'F' body Camaro/Tiredbird...and still give it a freakin' French name to boot...I'll buy the beer. (The 2nd Disclaimer: "The Yugo, most Siata's and any vehicle manufactured in France shall be excluded from this challenge in fairness to all that is craptastic in life.".).

Campybob we're suppose to take it down a notch on the gay stuff.

I'm sure glad none of the Eastern Bloc countries don't import cars here anymore, and I thought MG's and Triumphs were bad!

Originally Posted by Froze
at least the Alfa you could spend more time driving then repairing. The later Alfas of the 80's were extremely reliable...more so than a lot of small American cars of that era!
I'm sure glad none of the Eastern Bloc countries don't import cars here anymore, and I thought MG's and Triumphs were bad!

and I thought Alfas were @#%&*.
big-smile.png

0.jpg

0.jpg

Originally Posted by Volnix

and I thought Alfas were @#%&*.
big-smile.png

0.jpg

0.jpg
If you never owned one, at least the ones in the 80's, prior to that they were crappy but still not as bad as the British nightmares, then you would never know about them. I ran my Alfa hard and it took my abuse without complaining. Some of the 80's Alfa's used timing belts instead of chains and those, just like todays cars you probably drive, can break causing the valves to slam into the pistons but the Alfa Romeo Spyder used a chain which eliminated that weak spot. The other weak spot with the Spider was it didn't have enough horsepower for me so I rebuilt the heads and some other stuff for a bit more power but still better than the small British sports cars, plus I liked the looks of it better than any other convertible sports car back then, plus it was quirky, and for me I have to like the quirks and the way it looks. I also lived in California at the time and it was great small getaway car for the weekend with the wife to the beach, I'm in search for another but will probably get a 2003 BMW Z4 which has more curves in the body and more horses under the hood, but I would consider another Alfa Spider of the 80's if I found one in near mint condition.

Also realize too that Alfas were built from the factory to be high performance cars even though they had low output engines, but designed the interior of the engines, transmissions, and rearends to handle another 150 horsepower, they even incorporated traction bars...not what you think of traction bars being but they did work. The entire suspension on these cars were designed for the optimum handling unlike American cars who underdesign their cars back in the 80's. And the Alfa twin overhead chain driven cam engine was years ahead of the rest of the world and the engine design proved to be very reliable. Maximum horsepower I ever heard from that engine was 330! There may have been some who got more but I haven't heard about it, but mine was closer to 150 but I didn't want to spend a lot of money doing it.

Granted the Nissan 280ZX I had was a better more dependable car but I really didn't like the looks and it wasn't a convertible.

The V6 Alfa engines were outstanding engines

Granted the Nissan 280ZX I had was a better more dependable car but I really didn't like the looks and it wasn't a convertible.
I had an '82 Datsun 280ZX with T-tops I picked up used in 1994 for $1200. I put $300 in for a new exhaust and apart from some minor rips on the seats she was an absolute cream puff. I can safely say of all the cars I've owned new or used, she was my unquestionable favorite.

In the 80's i jonsed for a GTV6 but I hear they didn't do so well in the reliability department. I saw one on the road recently that looked like it had been very well taken care of.

Bob likes Alfa's? He'll love the new MX-5 then. Designed by Alfa... ;) Bwhahahahahaaaaaa!

The japs have to turn to anyone else for imagination. And design expertise. And labor. And raw materials.

We bombed theirs back to the stone Meiji age.

At least the Eyetalians had the decency and common sense to surrender to a superior power and offer vino and pizza to the victors. We be friends with the Pope for real yo.

Originally Posted by danfoz
I had an '82 Datsun 280ZX with T-tops I picked up used in 1994 for $1200. I put $300 in for a new exhaust and apart from some minor rips on the seats she was an absolute cream puff. I can safely say of all the cars I've owned new or used, she was my unquestionable favorite.

In the 80's i jonsed for a GTV6 but I hear they didn't do so well in the reliability department. I saw one on the road recently that looked like it had been very well taken care of.
My weakness is that I like quirky cars and the GTV6 is all of that. I've heard from people that owned those GTV6's that the engine was very durable like their 4 cylinder I had in the Spider, but the GTV6 used a fiber timing belt and if it breaks so does the engine which is true with most modern cars today that use a timing belt so in reality the timing belt in the GTV6 isn't any different than cars with timing belts today, but the GTV6 engine itself is actually better than American made V6's. However after saying all of that a V6 by it's very nature in design will not last as long as a straight 6 which is why diesel engines truck engines are I6's due to the ability to balance the engine more precisely without using a balance shaft and is why the older 280's that used the straight 6 could run 500,000 miles easily, heck my dad had a straight 300 6 Ford pickup he bought new in 1965 and put 1,187,000 miles on it before he died...though the engine was pretty ratty by the time he died with oil pressure problems. The Triumph TR6 I use to have also had a I6 engine and the engine was great, it was everything else around the engine that fell apart! Today car manufactures kind of caught on that I6 engines last too long so they converted almost all cars to the V6 design, but BMW recognises the benefits of a straight 6 and those engines are very reliable. And if you take it a step further the most reliable designed engine is the flat head design of old, the reason the old flat heads were not reliable was due to poor metallurgy bu the design was very sound due to less moving parts then the OHV design, which is why Porsche adopted the design and so did Subaru.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
The japs have to turn to anyone else for imagination. And design expertise. And labor. And raw materials.

We bombed theirs back to the stone Meiji age.

At least the Eyetalians had the decency and common sense to surrender to a superior power and offer vino and pizza to the victors. We be friends with the Pope for real yo.
I know people who have done high tech stuff in America and Japan, there are certain tech areas where the Japanese excel over anyone in the world. So your little tirade against Japanese is unfounded. Back after the war ended and for about 30 years Japanese did indeed copy a lot of stuff and reversed engineered the stuff to make it better, but today they're the leader in a lot of high tech stuff much of which is secret. Japanese do have quite a knack for reverse engineering something and make it better, nothing wrong with that, unlike their neighbor to the east that has quite a knack for reverse engineering something and making it worse!

Campybob we're suppose to take it down a notch on the gay stuff.
He's only like that because Campag has their bearings made by ***.

Schaeffler *** FTMFW! In 1883, Friedrich Fischer designed a ball grinding machine in Schweinfurt, Germany that, for the first time, made it possible to produce absolutely round steel balls by grinding.

Not in Japan. Not by shitmaNO. Although they did copy the Germans. And Americans. And...

Campagnolo also sources bearings from Italy for some of the non-C.U.L.T. applications.

Here is a list of some of the stuff the Japanese have invented, and none of it was copied: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_inventions

Here is a list of some of the stuff the Japanese have invented, and none of it was copied: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_inventions
Judo, miso soup, and their very weird ****... 100% original and nothing could ever come close.

The Japanese also gave us Kazushi Sakuraba, one of the greatest fighters the world has ever seen:

0.jpg

The video begins with his losses, he as after all just a man like the rest of us. Saku is the only fighter in modern history to challenge the domination of the Gracie legacy, and he can be seen being congratulated by the founder of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Helio Gracie. He is known affectionately as "the Gracie hunter".

The Japanese invented ways to fight with hands and feet.

Americans invented ways to make them glow in the dark from 10 miles away.

Japan: Still the winner and World Champion of "The Country That Experienced The Most Artificial Sunrises" contest.

Quote by JH:
"Drive trailer them to the event on the weekend and put em back in the shop the climate-controlled toy box on Monday."

FTFY

The Japanese invented ways to fight with hands and feet.

Americans invented ways to make them glow in the dark from 10 miles away.

Japan: Still the winner and World Champion of "The Country That Experienced The Most Artificial Sunrises" contest.
Actually the Germans invented that, we just perfected it.

No.

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

The Germans did do some early research on fission, but that's just like the Japs thinking that fighting with hands and feet was cool. It took 'Muricans! turned the idea of fission into something totally awesome.

Da Bomb!

Due to getting their asses kicked by 'Muricans! the Germans reduced R&D on nuclear 'stuff' rapidly. From 1939 onwards the effort was insignificant and produced...nothing.

Besides, Hahn only carried on work performed by Enrico Fermi in 1934. And Enrico was'a da born in'a da Rome! In'a da Italy!

The Germans did invent some nice firearms. Those Churmans...they build good stuff, but redneck 'Muricans! git 'er done!

I am become Campagnolo! The Destroyer of shitmaNO!

Well Oppenheimer was born in the US but his parents came from Germany. I believe this is the original quote below from the Hindu text.

"The Supreme Lord said: I am death, the mighty destroyer of the Italian company, out to destroy. Even without your participation all the warriors standing arrayed in the opposing companies shall cease to exist as Shimano out sells Campy".

No.

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

The Germans did do some early research on fission, but that's just like the Japs thinking that fighting with hands and feet was cool. It took 'Muricans! turned the idea of fission into something totally awesome.

Da Bomb!

Due to getting their asses kicked by 'Muricans! the Germans reduced R&D on nuclear 'stuff' rapidly. From 1939 onwards the effort was insignificant and produced...nothing.

Besides, Hahn only carried on work performed by Enrico Fermi in 1934. And Enrico was'a da born in'a da Rome! In'a da Italy!

The Germans did invent some nice firearms. Those Churmans...they build good stuff, but redneck 'Muricans! git 'er done!

I am become Campagnolo! The Destroyer of shitmaNO!
Totally awesome? Now most of the world has the bomb, how awesome is that for you?

Germans were much further ahead in technology than the US, they had stuff they were working on that they could have easily beat us with, but they also had ****** who was a nut job, so ****** played into our favor. I hate to say this in light of the Jewish massacre, but thank God for ******!

****** was a nutjob. Had he bombed a few more RAF airfields then the Battle of Britain would never have happened, France would have been turned into one giant German café and wine cellar for the SS. Campagnolo would never had gotten around to hiring their first fulltime employee who was destined to bend metal coathangers for years to produce the sliding rod gear changer. True to Campags future development, 196 tools were required to make one sliding rod work and another 34 were required it you wanted a second rod. Da Führer would have probably snagged on a few French made rear derailleurs so that Campag could have "invented" his even faster.