An article claims that people are annoyed at cyclists for being arrogant, their attire and equipment

Bozidar

Nov 15, 2013
I just read an article titled "What’s the Worst Thing About Road Cyclists?". It's more than a year old, but the level of idiocy that it presented made me want to respond.
The summarized list of annoyances and my answers:

- Disobeying traffic laws - mostly guilty as charged, too many cyclists, including myself disregard traffic laws
- Being arrogant and elitist - WTF? A cyclist has achieved a higher level of performance through effort, much like any other athlete, or musician, or scientist. Does being proud of it make us arrogant? Or is it simply because cyclists take up half a meter at the edge of the road? I suspect the latter one.
- Equipment and clothing - Seriously? Maybe while you are at that, get annoyed at hipsters, or even at people driving nicer cars than you. People, get a life!
- Terrorizing others on multi-use paths - It's a MULTI-USE path. Cyclists use it together with roller-skaters and joggers. So we can also consider the skaters terrorizing the cyclists, or the joggers annoying everyone. Accept and share, don't consider it your own private property.

And now for that annoys cyclists:
- Stopping/parking their cars in cycling lanes
- Riding motorbikes on cycling/recreational tracks
- Stopping and chatting on cycling and recreational tracks
- Slowly strolling 2 to 4 abreast on cycling and recreational tracks
- Honking and cursing at cyclists on roads that don't have a cycling lane
- Riding a motorbike directly in front of a cyclist at same speed so the exhaust fumes go directly into the cyclists face
- Broken glass and garbage on any surface where cyclists will pass

I made a poll on my website. If you wish, choose your biggest annoyance here:
http://www.officecyclist.com/2013/11/discussion-and-poll-cyclist-seem-to.html

The commenters have also added the following gripes

- car drivers turning right and ignoring cyclists
- car drivers turning right without using the blinker
- cyclists/joggers in the cycling lane riding in the wrong direction and not yielding the right of way

Originally Posted by Bozidar

- cyclists/joggers in the cycling lane riding in the wrong direction and not yielding the right of way
They forgot about babies in tricycles in fast cycling lanes...

Originally Posted by Volnix
They forgot about babies in tricycles in fast cycling lanes...
Haven't seen people letting their children on tricycles in cycling lanes, except on recreational tracks in the middle of the day.

Haven't seen people letting their children on tricycles in cycling lanes, except on recreational tracks in the middle of the day.
Lucky you... They are random...

I just read an article titled "What’s the Worst Thing About Road Cyclists?". It's more than a year old, but the level of idiocy that it presented made me want to respond.
The summarized list of annoyances and my answers:

- Disobeying traffic laws - mostly guilty as charged, too many cyclists, including myself disregard traffic laws
- Being arrogant and elitist - WTF? A cyclist has achieved a higher level of performance through effort, much like any other athlete, or musician, or scientist. Does being proud of it make us arrogant? Or is it simply because cyclists take up half a meter at the edge of the road? I suspect the latter one.
- Equipment and clothing - Seriously? Maybe while you are at that, get annoyed at hipsters, or even at people driving nicer cars than you. People, get a life!
- Terrorizing others on multi-use paths - It's a MULTI-USE path. Cyclists use it together with roller-skaters and joggers. So we can also consider the skaters terrorizing the cyclists, or the joggers annoying everyone. Accept and share, don't consider it your own private property.

And now for that annoys cyclists:
- Stopping/parking their cars in cycling lanes
- Riding motorbikes on cycling/recreational tracks
- Stopping and chatting on cycling and recreational tracks
- Slowly strolling 2 to 4 abreast on cycling and recreational tracks
- Honking and cursing at cyclists on roads that don't have a cycling lane
- Riding a motorbike directly in front of a cyclist at same speed so the exhaust fumes go directly into the cyclists face
- Broken glass and garbage on any surface where cyclists will pass

I made a poll on my website. If you wish, choose your biggest annoyance here:
http://www.officecyclist.com/2013/11/discussion-and-poll-cyclist-seem-to.html

I am now amoung the group of road cycilist and even with this being said ? I would have to agree with the article that I did not read . . . . now lwugh at me but let me 1st explain my concerns with cycilist !

I live at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountain in North Central GA and the cycilist take over the roads on the weekends and yes they ar arrogant and rude and act like they own the road and the DA's actually will flip these red necks the bird when the cycilist is taking up more than his fair share of a raod not even made for cycilist ! Yes the slow traffic and yes they wear gay looking cloths and yes they do get shot at and I have seen red necks see how close they can get to the bike without striking it !

I did not read the article but like it or not trucks with red necks and beer and a 45 cal do not mix well with cycilist . Now that I am on the road on a bike I try to remember how the AH biker made me feel and keep in mind that the 2 ton truck will crush me if it strikes me ! Or ire tapes me ! I don't have to like this attituid but I do have to accept it for self preservation and if I want to keep riding ! The laws are not enforced to protect cycilist to the point that a buke can take on a red neck in a car ? So all I am saying is biker beware the inbreads are out there ! They are drinking and driving and they are on the road and bikers (me included ) Must beware !

So like it or not the laws of nature are not evolved to the point that rednecks in trucks have to give way to bikes ! They do not want to and they are npot going to !

I am aware of his and killing is nothing new to me so when I ride I am packing and I am giving the cars and trucks more han theeir fair share of the road but don't throw your beer can at me and try to bump me off the rd we will mix it up ! I am no tree hugger or man lover
smile.png

BuzzardMarine said:
I am now amoung the group of road cycilist and even with this being said ? I would have to agree with the article that I did not read  . . . . now lwugh at me but let me 1st explain my concerns with cycilist  ! I live at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountain in North Central GA and the cycilist take over the roads on the weekends and yes they ar arrogant and rude and act like they own the road and the DA's actually will flip these red necks the bird when the cycilist is taking up more than his fair share of a raod not even made for cycilist ! Yes the slow traffic and yes they wear gay looking cloths and yes they do get shot at and I have seen red necks see how close they can get to the bike without striking it ! I did not read the article but like it or not trucks with red necks and beer and a 45 cal do not mix well with cycilist . Now that I am on the road on a bike I try to remember how the AH biker made me feel and keep in mind that the 2 ton truck will crush me if it strikes me  ! Or ire tapes me ! I don't have to like this attituid but I do have to accept it for self preservation and if I want to keep riding ! The laws are not enforced to protect cycilist to the point that a buke can take on a red neck in a car ? So all I am saying is biker beware the inbreads are out there ! They are drinking and driving and they are on the road and bikers (me included ) Must beware ! So  like it or not the laws of nature are not evolved to the point that rednecks in trucks have to give way to bikes ! They do not want to and they are npot going to ! I am aware of his and killing is nothing new to me so when I ride I am packing and I am giving the cars and trucks more han theeir fair share of the road but don't throw your beer can at me and try to bump me off the rd we will mix it up ! I am no tree hugger or man lover :smile:
Wow. The homophobe went a long way to justify the behavior of people in his area. Just to be clear, there is zero justification for harassing any road user, including cyclists. He also takes care to make broad generalizations, and as history has repeatedly shown, such generalizations ultimately fail. As for cyclists slowing traffic? Yeah, it's a real ***** having to be delayed a few seconds or a minute or two. Of all the tragedies in the world, being delayed as such must be the greatest, well, the greatest after white folk having to see and possibly mingle with.....what were the words that BuzzardMarine used.....people wearing "gay looking clothes." Some roads may not have been built with cyclists in mind, but unless the law expressly states otherwise, cyclists are allowed to use said roads.

Originally Posted by alienator

Wow. The homophobe went a long way to justify the behavior of people in his area. Just to be clear, there is zero justification for harassing any road user, including cyclists. He also takes care to make broad generalizations, and as history has repeatedly shown, such generalizations ultimately fail. As for cyclists slowing traffic? Yeah, it's a real ***** having to be delayed a few seconds or a minute or two. Of all the tragedies in the world, being delayed as such must be the greatest, well, the greatest after white folk having to see and possibly mingle with.....what were the words that BuzzardMarine used.....people wearing "gay looking clothes."

Some roads may not have been built with cyclists in mind, but unless the law expressly states otherwise, cyclists are allowed to use said roads.
I rest my case the mind of your narrow minded cycilist ! He think his gay coths and the right to ride a bike is going to help him heal quicker while he knew his rights and the red neck in the truch tapped him and he went head over heels in the ditch so tell the guy in the trucj=k with a case of beer under his belt you have a right to drees gay and ake up half his lane from the hospital . . . lol you prove how stupid you are when you spew !

BuzzardMarine said:
I rest my case the mind of your narrow minded cycilist ! He think his gay coths and the right to ride a bike is going to help him heal quicker while he knew his rights and the red neck in the truch tapped him and he went head over heels in the ditch so tell the guy in the trucj=k with a case of beer under his belt you have a right to drees gay and ake up half his lane from the hospital  . . . lol you prove how stupid you are when you spew !
And you prove what a bigot you are with your slurs, homophobe. Curiously, you do seem to focus on what you think is gay. It only demonstrates what you don't understand about cycling. Such sentiments only separate you from the cycling community at large. As for "narrow minded" you must be speaking of yourself. You have to wonder about that guy in the truck with a case of "beer under his belt" on his way either to or from the hospital. Yeah, that's a common occurrence. Luckily there are people that are exactly not like you who fight for cyclists' rights, fight the attitude that you and your "beer under his belt" brethren share. Yes, those people fighting for cyclists' rights are people you don't understand, but that's of little consequence. it is interesting to read your comments about who you think is stupid. Wait: do I mean interesting or ironic?

Originally Posted by alienator

And you prove what a bigot you are with your slurs, homophobe. Curiously, you do seem to focus on what you think is gay. It only demonstrates what you don't understand about cycling. Such sentiments only separate you from the cycling community at large.

As for "narrow minded" you must be speaking of yourself.

You have to wonder about that guy in the truck with a case of "beer under his belt" on his way either to or from the hospital. Yeah, that's a common occurrence. Luckily there are people that are exactly not like you who fight for cyclists' rights, fight the attitude that you and your "beer under his belt" brethren share. Yes, those people fighting for cyclists' rights are people you don't understand, but that's of little consequence.

it is interesting to read your comments about who you think is stupid. Wait: do I mean interesting or ironic?
See there you go being a liberal again misquoting me and stating as fact ! This proves again your only purpose in life is to troll the forums and you found one that would not ban spineless Ass holes and you mis quote me and prove you are just a fart in a whirl wind ! I shared facts with you and you spew some BS about the law well don't forget the laws of nature ! Your bike and your rights will not win in a contet wit a vehicle that weights 1000's of lbs more ! I do think the cloths look gay and there are bikers with attitudes and I wish you would come ride around where I live and yhen we could test your theory on the laws on the books and the laws of people who are feed up with **** ants like you who think because you borrowed a friend bike you own the road this is the issue and not the law **** ants like you who ride in the middle of the road and dare a car to give them a horn blow or toss a beer can at them as they go by ! I states I ride the roads also but keep human nature in mind when doing so ! If you rode around the mountain roads where I live you would catch a 16 oz can half full square between the shoulder blades from a passing car going about 45 and I bet your DA opinion of which law you will obey in the future would change ! You are laughable "There are are people notlike me that fight for cycilist rights " I TOLD your DA I ride on these same rds but not withthe attutuide that I am a bike rider so you just wait until I get ready to let you pass ! I l=have better sense than that and I welcome you to come ride in GA with tthe DA arrograt views you do and see just how long or how many miles you would last .. . lol ! Come on super troll give it a shot I will give address to attempt you style on and then you will learn about life and real survival ! After reading you post I guess you are in your late 20 and bullet proof and think you are so smart and bikes will rise up and rule the world one day ! Well word nerd you loose ain't gona happen even thougth I wish the roads were more bike friendly ! Because I have to choose my path I take to go some where on roads that I have enought comonc=sence to understand I will not be blocking ta=raffic to t=ride these roads and your bike will not win in a contest with a car and an AH but you would deserve what you get and you will get it because you are the boggest punk ass hole I have ever run across . . lol get it run across maybe some day when you swtop hiding behind your phone or computer ? If only one day
smile.png
You little worm !

Please ask you wife to stop calling me she bothers me and calls way to much !

BuzzardMarine said:
See there you go being a liberal again misquoting me and stating as fact ! This proves again your only purpose in life is to troll the forums and you found one that would not ban spineless Ass holes and you mis quote me and prove you are just a fart in a whirl wind ! I shared facts with you and you spew some BS about the law well don't forget  the laws of nature ! Your bike and your rights will not win in a contet wit a vehicle that weights 1000's of lbs more ! I do think the cloths look gay and there are bikers with attitudes and I wish you would come ride around where I live and yhen we could test your theory on the laws on the books and the laws of people who are feed up with **** ants like you who think because you borrowed a friend bike you own the road this is the issue and not the law **** ants like you who ride in the middle of the road and dare a car to give them a horn blow or toss a beer can at them as they go by ! I states I ride the roads also but keep human nature in mind when doing so ! If you rode around the mountain roads where I live you would catch a 16 oz can half full square between the shoulder blades from a passing car going about 45 and I bet your DA opinion of which law you will obey in the future would change ! You are laughable "There are are people notlike me that fight for cycilist rights " I TOLD your DA I ride on these same rds but not withthe attutuide that I am a bike rider so you just wait until I get ready to let you pass ! I l=have better sense than that and I welcome you to come ride in GA with tthe DA arrograt views you do and see just how long or how many miles you would last .. . lol ! Come on super troll give it a shot I will give address to attempt you style on and then you will learn about life and real survival ! After reading you post I guess you are in your late 20 and bullet proof and think you are so smart and bikes will rise up and rule the world one day ! Well word nerd you loose ain't gona happen even thougth I wish the roads were more bike friendly ! Because I have to choose my path I take to go some where on roads that I have enought comonc=sence to understand I will not be blocking ta=raffic to t=ride these roads and your bike will not win in a contest with a car and an AH but you would deserve what you get and you will get it because you are the boggest punk ass hole I have ever run across  .  . lol get it run across maybe some day when you swtop hiding behind your phone or computer ? If only one day  :smile:  You little worm !
Wow. You truly have towering intellect. You must since you need to use political slurs to try to support your comments, even though such things always fail. This is a quote from you:
buzzardmarine said:
Yes the slow traffic and yes they wear gay looking cloths
So, gay looking clothes eh? Yeah, your homophobia is writ large, fella. "DA" opinion? What the hell is that? Yes, I must 20 given the 28 years I've been riding. As for the rest of your post, it's really unintelligible. You can't write sentences that make sense, and you intersperse your nonsensical sentences with elementary school yard threats and more 'rhoid rage. It's really sad seeing a person in your state. Your disability.....it's mental, isn't it?

Nobody invited you to rant, just state a brief opinion. All replies so far were constructive
I am not rant'ing, just a premonition that a question like this invites rants. I am not sure how the comments have been constructive - to what end?

By and large, I find cycling a rewarding activity and experience respectful behavior on a daily basis from motorists, which I reciprocate. Dangerous and disrespectful behavior is a rarity; around here at least?

The the sound of things, GA is bicycling distopia - sort of a Mad Max survivalist wasteland. My condolences.

Nator, you need to cool your jets a bit. How many arguements can be won, even with a preponderance of evidence on your side? There is no winning on the net - unless you mean in the Charlie Sheen sense.

maydog said:
I am not rant'ing, just a premonition that a question like this invites rants. I am not sure how the comments have been constructive - to what end? By and large, I find cycling a rewarding activity and experience respectful behavior on a daily basis from motorists, which I reciprocate. Dangerous and disrespectful behavior is a rarity; around here at least? The the sound of things, GA is bicycling distopia - sort of a Mad Max survivalist wasteland. My condolences. Nator, you need to cool your jets a bit. How many arguements can be won, even with a preponderance of evidence on your side? There is no winning on the net - unless you mean in the Charlie Sheen sense.
Aggressive drivers are not just found in Georgia. They're in many places. There were enough of them in Arizona, and sadly a rider having something thrown at them is not necessarily a rare case. I had a tendon surgically repaired in my hand as the result of a driver or passenger headed in the opposite direction heaving a full 20oz soda in my direction, in Tucson. There was also a couple of years ago a driver who got of his car and pulled a gun on a cyclist. Those are of course extreme examples of driver behavior, and I believe they are the exceptions to the rule that most driver's aren't causing problems on the road. It is certainly hard to abide homophobic comments like "cycling clothes look gay". Ignorance as such doesn't improve anything and certainly doesn't build any community in cycling or do a damned thing or improve things between drivers and riders. It's just another excuse for clinging to biases. I don't expect or look to win. I only hope that someone will actually stop and think for a moment. It's far too easy to not-think in general and especially on the internet, and it is all too easy to get pulled into .

"I did not read the article but like it or not trucks with red necks and beer and a 45 cal do not mix well with cycilist ."

Hmmm...I own three trucks (four, if you count the SUV as a truck), I'm a certified red neck, enjoy beer and I own more 1911's that you can detail strip and clean & oil in an afternoon. And I've lived thru 43 seasons of road cycling. I'm conflicted...

"So, gay looking clothes eh? Yeah, your homophobia is writ large, fella."

You look fabulous!

"DA" opinion? What the hell is that?"

"Dumb Ass", something only a dumb ass wouldn't know. "Yes, I must 20 given the 28 years I've been riding."

WTF? Engrish...do you speak it? "As for the rest of your post, it's really unintelligible. You can't write sentences that make sense, and you intersperse your nonsensical sentences with elementary school yard threats and more 'rhoid rage. It's really sad seeing a person in your state. Your disability.....it's mental, isn't it?"

Look who's talking! Mr. Unintelligible, himself! LMAO! Which several/multiple mental defects are you suffering from?

Rage on, Wayne!

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Isn't that something? How funny that people get into it like this. I always loved the bike gear. You know what it is people get so jealous about anyone who is serious about something that involves a sport of any kind. Especially if they are serious about it. If you are successful at it that adds more fuel. Forget about it if your body is in perfect shape. I've experienced this from couch potatoes that are out of their car. This is really what it's all about. The mentality of people who don't take care of themselves or work out is clearly very critical and angry. They just look dumb and miserable. They've not experience what physical exercise really does for you.
"arrogant elitist" that is hilarious. Yes it's true in my black tight bike shorts and racing shirt. The helmet, goggles, and water bottle. Mile after mile makes me more of elitist. Lol, yes I am an elitist in many ways.
I just did this big 6 month thing that made more people stick there nose so far up my cazoo that it just made me laugh. Lazy people who poke fun at real athletes should go back to their couches, Because they are not going to cut it with that criticizing low level mentality. Anyone who takes the time to do any kind of sport correctly that gets results is an elitist. What they don't get is that the thing that emanates from you is not arrogance, it's power. The feeling and power in real physical achievement gives you something so strong. You stand taller, you feel amazing, you full on emanate something that people who talk like this are clueless about. So they think you are arrogant. They are missing so much, too bad for them.

So, they OP started an article in 2013 about an article written in 2012 and the last post was in 2013 and now it is resurrected in 2015.... B)

maydog said:
Rant bait!
And what is you're problem? Clarify, please. Is there something bad in ranting, or what? You didn't need to read the topic, if you didn't want to.

Lizel said:
And what is you're problem? Clarify, please. Is there something bad in ranting, or what? You didn't need to read the topic, if you didn't want to.
*your*

Old thread, move along.