An aspirin a day?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by James E., Apr 15, 2004.

  1. James E.

    James E. Guest

    I am 75 and have been taking an aspirin (a NSAID) a day as a
    stroke/hart-attack preventative.

    Recently I had back surgery which resulted in chronic lower
    back pain. I am experimenting with various medications to
    alleviate this pain.

    I have found that Feldene (20mg), also a NSAID, eliminates
    my back-pain.

    Should I continue to take an aspirin a day as a heart
    preventative (in addition to the Feldene) or can I
    discontinue the aspirin? Does the Feldene have the same
    effect as aspirin as far as my heart is concerned?

    --
    James
    -

    Tags:

  2. "James E." wrote:

    > I am 75 and have been taking an aspirin (a NSAID) a day as
    > a stroke/hart-attack preventative.
    >
    > Recently I had back surgery which resulted in chronic
    > lower back pain. I am experimenting with various
    > medications to alleviate this pain.

    Didn't you have chronic lower back pain before the
    back surgery ?

    > I have found that Feldene (20mg), also a NSAID, eliminates
    > my back-pain.
    >
    > Should I continue to take an aspirin a day as a heart
    > preventative (in addition to the Feldene) or can I
    > discontinue the aspirin?

    Would have you ask your doctor about what s/he would
    have you do.

    > Does the Feldene have the same effect as aspirin as far
    > as my heart is concerned?

    No.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2DB148A7

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  3. James E.

    James E. Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "James E." wrote:
    >
    > > I am 75 and have been taking an aspirin (a NSAID) a day
    > > as a stroke/hart-attack preventative.
    > >
    > > Recently I had back surgery which resulted in chronic
    > > lower back pain. I
    am
    > > experimenting with various medications to alleviate
    > > this pain.
    > >

    > Didn't you have chronic lower back pain before the back
    > surgery ?

    Yes, but it was a ruptured disk and the pain did not respond
    to NSAID's

    > > I have found that Feldene (20mg), also a NSAID,
    > > eliminates my back-pain.
    > >
    > > Should I continue to take an aspirin a day as a heart
    > > preventative (in addition to the Feldene) or can I
    > > discontinue the aspirin?
    >
    > Would have you ask your doctor about what s/he would
    > have you do.

    I am with an HMO and my doctor is very unresponsive to
    questions

    > > Does the Feldene have the same effect as aspirin as far
    > > as my heart is concerned?
    > >

    > No.

    That is the answer I was looking for. I will take a Feldene
    and an Aspirin and hope I will not get a stomach ulcer.
    Thank you.

    --
    James

    -
    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "James E." wrote:
    >
    > > I am 75 and have been taking an aspirin (a NSAID) a day as a
    > > stroke/hart-attack preventative.
    > >
    > > Recently I had back surgery which resulted in chronic lower back pain. I
    am
    > > experimenting with various medications to alleviate this pain.
    > >

    > Didn't you have chronic lower back pain before the back surgery ?
    >

    > > I have found that Feldene (20mg), also a NSAID, eliminates my back-pain.
    > >
    > > Should I continue to take an aspirin a day as a heart preventative (in
    > > addition to the Feldene) or can I discontinue the aspirin?
    >
    > Would have you ask your doctor about what s/he would have you do.
    >
    > > Does the Feldene
    > > have the same effect as aspirin as far as my heart is concerned?
    > >

    > No.
    >

    > Servant to the humblest person in the universe,
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    > Board-Certified Cardiologist
    > http://www.heartmdphd.com/
    >
    > **
    > Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557
    >
    > What is all this about?
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2DB148A7
    >
    > Is this spam?
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "James E." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "James E." wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am 75 and have been taking an aspirin (a NSAID) a
    > > > day as a stroke/hart-attack preventative.
    > > >
    > > > Recently I had back surgery which resulted in chronic
    > > > lower back pain. I
    > am
    > > > experimenting with various medications to alleviate
    > > > this pain.
    > > >

    > > Didn't you have chronic lower back pain before the back
    > > surgery ?
    >
    > Yes, but it was a ruptured disk and the pain did not
    > respond to NSAID's
    >

    > > > I have found that Feldene (20mg), also a NSAID,
    > > > eliminates my back-pain.
    > > >
    > > > Should I continue to take an aspirin a day as a heart
    > > > preventative (in addition to the Feldene) or can I
    > > > discontinue the aspirin?
    > >
    > > Would have you ask your doctor about what s/he would
    > > have you do.
    >

    > I am with an HMO and my doctor is very unresponsive to
    > questions
    >

    > > > Does the Feldene have the same effect as aspirin as
    > > > far as my heart is concerned?
    > > >

    > > No.
    >
    > That is the answer I was looking for. I will take a
    > Feldene and an Aspirin and hope I will not get a stomach
    > ulcer. Thank you.

    Let me pose this as more of a question. Does anyone know if
    Protein Pump Inhibitors, such as Previcid, inhibit the heart
    healthy effects of aspirin?

    Bill

    > --
    > James

  5. Listener

    Listener Guest

    >Let me pose this as more of a question. Does anyone know if
    >Protein Pump Inhibitors, such as Previcid, inhibit the
    >heart healthy effects of aspirin?
    >
    >Bill

    A study I read a while back (can't put my hands on the link
    at the moment) showed no negative impact on concomittant use
    of aspirin with prevacid from the standpoint of Prevacid
    efficacy and may inhibit/prevent aspirin-induced ulcers.

    I have not seen any studies for the reverse, but I suspect
    that any "heart-healthy" properties of aspirin would not be
    inhibited by PPI use. I'm not a doctor, so it's really just
    a guess on my part.

    L.

  6. Bill wrote:

    > "James E." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > am
    > > > >

    > > > Didn't you have chronic lower back pain before the
    > > > back surgery ?
    > >
    > > Yes, but it was a ruptured disk and the pain did not
    > > respond to NSAID's

    > > > Would have you ask your doctor about what s/he would
    > > > have you do.
    > >

    > > I am with an HMO and my doctor is very unresponsive to
    > > questions

    > > > No.
    > >
    > > That is the answer I was looking for. I will take a
    > > Feldene and an Aspirin and hope I will not get a stomach
    > > ulcer. Thank you.
    >
    > Let me pose this as more of a question. Does anyone know
    > if Protein Pump Inhibitors, such as Previcid, inhibit the
    > heart healthy effects of aspirin?
    >
    > Bill

    Clinically, PPIs don't seem to block aspirin's anti-platelet
    properties.

    Andrew