An encouraging day out the bike show

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Araby, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Araby

    Araby Guest

    I visited the Toronto International Bicycle Show yesterday
    and was astounded by the size of the attendance. I have
    "done" this show (even manned booths during several of them)
    for most of the past fifteen years, but have never seen
    anything like this. At 10:45, the ticket line was over 100
    metres long. By the time that I departed in mid afternoon,
    the line still extended 50metres or so. All of the "L's" and
    not so LBS's whose premises I stalk on a frequent basis
    throughout the year were doing brisk business. Friday's
    visitors not only broke the opening day attendance record,
    but was 30% up on last year!

    What's going on?

    Cheers,

    Roy

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "araby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > I visited the Toronto International Bicycle Show
    > yesterday and was
    astounded

    <<snip..>>

    > All of the "L's" and not so LBS's whose premises I stalk
    > on a frequent
    basis
    > throughout the year were doing brisk business. Friday's
    > visitors not only broke the opening day attendance record,
    > but was 30% up on last year!
    >
    > What's going on?

    Critical Mass is actually working!?!?! NAH!!! That can't be
    it! Probably just because we've had some nice weather last
    week and some people have actually been out riding. Just got
    a taste of spring and now they're buying...HELMETs!!!!
    Ugghhhh... ;-)

    Cheers!

    Scott..

  3. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:56:36 GMT, "araby" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All of the "L's" and not so LBS's whose premises I stalk on
    >a frequent basis throughout the year were doing brisk
    >business. Friday's visitors not only broke the opening day
    >attendance record, but was 30% up on last year!

    The economy, and with it consumer confidence, is
    improving, big-time.

    Keep this to yourself. It is not to be acknowledged nor
    spoken about until the democrats are back in the White
    House, and at that point, the resurgence is to be loudly,
    widely and publicly celebrated, and full credit for the
    economic recovery given to john kerry.

    Remember, this is top secret.

  4. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:43:03 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:56:36 GMT, "araby"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>All of the "L's" and not so LBS's whose premises I stalk
    >>on a frequent basis throughout the year were doing brisk
    >>business. Friday's visitors not only broke the opening day
    >>attendance record, but was 30% up on last year!
    >
    >The economy, and with it consumer confidence, is improving,
    >big-time.
    >
    >Keep this to yourself. It is not to be acknowledged nor
    >spoken about until the democrats are back in the White
    >House, and at that point, the resurgence is to be loudly,
    >widely and publicly celebrated, and full credit for the
    >economic recovery given to john kerry.

    Only fair, don't you think, since the recession and slump
    have been blamed on Clinton by the Bush people for the last
    three years....

  5. Loki

    Loki Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:43:03 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    [...]
    > >The economy, and with it consumer confidence, is
    > >improving, big-time.
    > >
    > >Keep this to yourself. It is not to be acknowledged nor
    > >spoken about until the democrats are back in the White
    > >House, and at that point, the resurgence is to be loudly,
    > >widely and publicly celebrated, and full credit for the
    > >economic recovery given to john kerry.
    > >

    > Only fair, don't you think, since the recession and slump
    > have been blamed on Clinton by the Bush people for the
    > last three years....

    Errrrr... this bike show was in _Toronto_. Granted many
    denizens of the big smoke pine to be Amerkin's but they are
    not . And although as the US economy goes so goes the
    Canuckian economy; this past down slope of the business
    cycle has featured a Canuckian ecomony quite diverged from
    it's Yankee big brother.

    --
    'Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose'

    -janis joplin

  6. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:41:23 GMT, "loki" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]...
    >> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:43:03 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >[...]
    >> >The economy, and with it consumer confidence, is
    >> >improving, big-time.
    >> >
    >> >Keep this to yourself. It is not to be acknowledged nor
    >> >spoken about until the democrats are back in the White
    >> >House, and at that point, the resurgence is to be
    >> >loudly, widely and publicly celebrated, and full credit
    >> >for the economic recovery given to john kerry.
    >> >

    >> Only fair, don't you think, since the recession and slump
    >> have been blamed on Clinton by the Bush people for the
    >> last three years....
    >
    > Errrrr... this bike show was in _Toronto_.

    I know.

    Just as I am sure you know that 'Me and Bobby McGee' was
    actually written by Kris Kristofferson, not Janis
    Joplin.....

  7. Loki

    Loki Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:41:23 GMT, "loki"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >message
    > >news:p[email protected]...
    > >> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:43:03 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
    > >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >[...]
    > >> >

    > >> Only fair, don't you think, since the recession and
    > >> slump have been blamed on Clinton by the Bush people
    > >> for the last three years....
    > >
    > > Errrrr... this bike show was in _Toronto_.
    >
    > I know.
    >
    > Just as I am sure you know that 'Me and Bobby McGee' was
    > actually written by Kris Kristofferson, not Janis
    > Joplin.....

    I did not make a claim on who wrote it. And she certainly
    did sing it.

    --
    'Oh lord! Won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? 'My friends all
    drive Porsches I must make amends.' -janis joplin

  8. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:41:23 GMT, "loki" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Errrrr... this bike show was in _Toronto_.

    Yerright....

    Oops.

    But our parking lots in Baja Canada are pretty full at the
    retail places as well.

    Glad cycling is prospering in the Great White North.

  9. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:31:18 GMT, "loki" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:41:23 GMT, "loki"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >> > Errrrr... this bike show was in _Toronto_.
    >>
    >> I know.
    >>
    >> Just as I am sure you know that 'Me and Bobby McGee' was
    >> actually written by Kris Kristofferson, not Janis
    >> Joplin.....
    >
    > I did not make a claim on who wrote it. And she certainly
    > did sing it.

    Cool! I like this approach to attributing quotes to anyone
    who speaks them irrespective of who wrote them! Have you
    written ASCAP and BMI about this approach? They'll love
    you for it.

    ___

    '"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the
    thief, "There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
    Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth, None
    of them along the line know what any of it is worth."'

    -
    Dan Daniel

  10. On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:31:18 GMT, "loki" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Just as I am sure you know that 'Me and Bobby McGee' was
    >> actually written by Kris Kristofferson, not Janis
    >> Joplin.....
    >
    > I did not make a claim on who wrote it. And she certainly
    > did sing it.
    >--
    > 'Oh lord! Won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? 'My friends
    > all drive Porsches I must make amends.' -janis joplin

    It's Judge Miles Lord In a flatbed Ford Slowin' down to
    throw the book at me...

  11. Loki

    Loki Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... [...]
    > >> Just as I am sure you know that 'Me and Bobby McGee'
    > >> was actually written by Kris Kristofferson, not Janis
    > >> Joplin.....
    > >
    > > I did not make a claim on who wrote it. And she
    > > certainly did sing it.
    >
    > Cool! I like this approach to attributing quotes to anyone
    > who speaks them irrespective of who wrote them! Have you
    > written ASCAP and BMI about this approach? They'll love
    > you for it.

    I'm not here to be loved by ASCAP nor BMI. If in another
    context I was submitting a peer reviewed academic paper
    then I might be concerned about original sources. If OTOH I
    am using a lyric fragment as quote in a sig and I intended
    to specifically refer to the singer's rendition then I
    won't give a damn about who orginally said it....

    Come to think of it how sure can you be the K.K. was
    the very first to ever utter than line in the history
    of the Cosmos?

    --
    'Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose'

    -janis joplin

  12. Loki

    Loki Guest

    "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message
    news:[email protected]... [...]
    > Glad cycling is prospering in the Great White North.

    Strangely enough it is. In the past 3-ish years since I
    started putting in some serious kilometers and the 7-
    ish years since I started dabbling the increase is
    quite noticeable. Guelph is a hard town to judge trends
    as the University skews it somewhat. But it isn't all
    poor students.

    And for a city of ~100,000 I'm somewhat surpised that I am
    not the lone year-round cyclist; based on their tracks.
    Funnily enough I've developed something of a connection
    with unknown people based on there tire tracks: There is
    the guy [I know not their gender] who's tracks I follow
    when commuting along College Ave. And then there is the
    collection whom I share the lattice covered bridge to cross
    the river.

    I've never met them but I've seen their tracks in the snow.

    --
    'Sell your sin Just cash in' -jewell