An ex-unicyclist

Colin Blackburn

Guest
Last Thursday I was meant to be going to a tribute gig for the late
Julia Darling. She was a Newcastle poet and writer who died earlier this
year. The gig was to be mainly Tim Dalling, a local musician and
collaborator of Julia's. On the afternoon of the gig I heard that it was
cancelled for personal reasons. An hour or two later I found out that
Joe Scurfield, a fellow band member with Tim in the Old Rope String
Band, had been killed the night before. He was killed along with another
Newcastle musician Keith Morris. They were just round the corner of
Joe's house heading to the pub for last orders when a 17 year old at the
wheel of a BMW mounted the pavement and killed them both.

Anyway, amongst Joe's many talents was unicycling. I don't know how well
known he was in the unicycling community but just in case anyone knows
him, Joe is now an ex-unicyclist.

http://www.oldropestringband.co.uk/tributes/obituary.html

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> Anyway, amongst Joe's many talents was unicycling. I don't know how well
> known he was in the unicycling community but just in case anyone knows
> him, Joe is now an ex-unicyclist.

Thanks. I've never heard of him and the picture doesn't look familiar,
but I've forwarded your post to rec.sport.unicycling.

I wrote:
> Thanks. I've never heard of him and the picture doesn't look familiar,
> but I've forwarded your post to rec.sport.unicycling.

I also forwarded it to the UK jugglers mailing list, where it turns out
that a few people knew him. To quote one post:

"You have missed a rare treat. I first saw Joe perform with Tim
and Pete as the Old Rope String Band at the Leeds Convention
(BJC/EJC? 1996/7 I think). They were a fantastic success, so
much so that they were immediately booked to appear at the (old)
Circus Space in London a couple of weeks later. Again, the show
was filled to the rafters and a great time was had by all.

"I've seen them several times over the years since, and each time
I laughed so hard that it hurt. I was deeply shocked when I read
the news. The world will be a sadder place without Joe."

Danny Colyer wrote:

> that a few people knew him. To quote one post:

[...]
> "I've seen them several times over the years since, and each time
> I laughed so hard that it hurt. I was deeply shocked when I read
> the news. The world will be a sadder place without Joe."

My partner has just called me, she's just been along to his funeral---at
a bandstand in a park :) One of the pieces of music played was Teenage
Kicks on the fiddle. No jugglers or unicyclists around at that stage.
However, the party continues in the Tyne Theatre this lunch time and
culminates in a session at the Cumberland Arms this evening. Cyclists
may be involved.

Colin