An experiment to prove the helmet law proponants RIGHT (or wrong)

DiscoDuck

Guest
Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
Broughton or Edward Dolan).

Do not engage in argument in this thread only. Just report back with
either

a) Rode today without a helmet-still alive and unharmed

b) Today "insert name here" I proved my point that ALL people should
wear a helmet because I was in an accident and sufferred a head inury.
Note, real name, area and hospital must be provided for authenticity
(we wouldn't want lyers posting falsehoods, would we).

On 30/11/04 8:22 am, in article
[email protected], "DiscoDuck"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
> not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
> note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
> head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
> Broughton or Edward Dolan).
>
> Do not engage in argument in this thread only. Just report back with
> either
>
> a) Rode today without a helmet-still alive and unharmed

And just how many person weeks do you think you would need to make a
statistically relevant study?

HI on bicycles are rare events.

One HI in over 25 years regular cycling in all sorts of conditions (heavy
traffic, sheet ice, time trialling, off road).

DiscoDuck wrote:
> Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
> not) and report here if you made it back alive.

So far so good, and I even had an accident (a SMIDSY for which the
driver apologised profusely and admitted it was entirely their fault,
and since nobody was hurt and no paint scratched and I think they
learned a small lesson I left it at that).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

DiscoDuck wrote:
> Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
> not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
> note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
> head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
> Broughton or Edward Dolan).
>
> Do not engage in argument in this thread only. Just report back with
> either
>
> a) Rode today without a helmet-still alive and unharmed
>
> b) Today "insert name here" I proved my point that ALL people should
> wear a helmet because I was in an accident and sufferred a head inury.
> Note, real name, area and hospital must be provided for authenticity
> (we wouldn't want lyers posting falsehoods, would we).

troll

MSeries wrote:

> troll

YA John Doe AICFMP.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

MSeries wrote:
> DiscoDuck wrote:
>
>> Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
>> not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
>> note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
>> head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
>> Broughton or Edward Dolan).
>>
>> Do not engage in argument in this thread only. Just report back with
>> either
>>
>> a) Rode today without a helmet-still alive and unharmed
>>
>> b) Today "insert name here" I proved my point that ALL people should
>> wear a helmet because I was in an accident and sufferred a head inury.
>> Note, real name, area and hospital must be provided for authenticity
>> (we wouldn't want lyers posting falsehoods, would we).

> troll

You haven't got the hang of this have you? You are supposed to put
"Troll" at the top and quote the message to which you are "replying"
complete with all the expanded headers ;-)

Tony

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:22:24 -0800, DiscoDuck wrote:

> Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
> not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
> note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
> head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
> Broughton or Edward Dolan).
>
> Do not engage in argument in this thread only. Just report back with
> either
>
> a) Rode today without a helmet-still alive and unharmed
>
> b) Today "insert name here" I proved my point that ALL people should
> wear a helmet because I was in an accident and sufferred a head inury.
> Note, real name, area and hospital must be provided for authenticity
> (we wouldn't want lyers posting falsehoods, would we).

Ummm -- this would need a proper controlled trial. Preferably double
blind, so that the person reporting the results does not know if the
victimes wore helmets.
Or -- Weekend 1) everyone wear helmets. Everyone report injuries.
Weekend 2) Exactly the same , except that everybody don't wear helmets.
All injuries and deaths must be reported, in order to try and get
meaningful results. So remember, if you die, you still must report it, or
the study will be invalid.

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:14:39 +1300, Peter Keller wrote:
> Ummm -- this would need a proper controlled trial. Preferably double
> blind, so that the person reporting the results does not know if the
> victimes wore helmets.

Now that's just plain stupid. Anyone knows that if you ride a bike
blind, with or without a helmet, you're going to hurt yourself.
Also, if the researcher is also blind, how are they going to tell if
you fell off and hurt yourself? "Aaaaaggh ... crash, tinkle tinkle",
"Oh, who can write "one" in braille?"

Now someone is going to post a link to a website somehwere describing
a blind cyclist completing the JOGLE or summant ...

--
Trevor Barton

Trevor Barton wrote:

> Now someone is going to post a link to a website somehwere describing
> a blind cyclist completing the JOGLE or summant ...

They compete in the special olympics...

Pete.
--

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:37:28 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:
> Trevor Barton wrote:
>
>> Now someone is going to post a link to a website somehwere describing
>> a blind cyclist completing the JOGLE or summant ...

> They compete in the special olympics...

You're right, I googled, they do, but they have a sighted companion
on a tandem. Therefore a double blind experiment seems even more
hazardous!

--
Trevor Barton

On 30 Nov 2004 00:22:24 -0800, [email protected] (DiscoDuck)
wrote:

>Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
>not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
>note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
>head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
>Broughton or Edward Dolan).

Where do I post the retrospective reports for most of this year?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

MSeries <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> DiscoDuck wrote:
> > Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
> > not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
> > note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
> > head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
> > Broughton or Edward Dolan).
> >
> > Do not engage in argument in this thread only. Just report back with
> > either
> >
> > a) Rode today without a helmet-still alive and unharmed
> >
> > b) Today "insert name here" I proved my point that ALL people should
> > wear a helmet because I was in an accident and sufferred a head inury.
> > Note, real name, area and hospital must be provided for authenticity
> > (we wouldn't want lyers posting falsehoods, would we).

> troll

So far soo good. "M Series" trolled his bike today without incident.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Where do I post the retrospective reports for most of this year?
>
> Guy

I suggest we start from cratch. But another thread wouldn't hurt.

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Another favourite of mine, is "You can do what you want with
statistic-85% of people know that." :)

On 30 Nov 2004 10:56:07 -0800, [email protected] (DiscoDuck)
wrote:

>Another favourite of mine, is "You can do what you want with
>statistic-85% of people know that." :)

Well, hell, everyone knows that 94.2% of statistics are made up on the
spot ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

"DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
> not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
> note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
> head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
> Broughton or Edward Dolan).

Edward Dolan can only be found at ARBR. I do not post ever to multiple
groups (except in instances like this) as I consider all other groups
infinitely beneath me. For the wit and wisdom of Edward Dolan, you must
resort to ARBR. There is no other way you can access my genius.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:16:44 -0600, Edward Dolan wrote:

> Edward Dolan can only be found at ARBR. I do not post ever to multiple
> groups (except in instances like this) as I consider all other groups
> infinitely beneath me. For the wit and wisdom of Edward Dolan, you must
> resort to ARBR. There is no other way you can access my genius.

Today I learned that when killfiling it is not enough to do it for the
groups the troll normally posts in -- it must be done for *all* groups
because you just don't know where it might emerge from its ditch. <sigh>

Mike

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:16:44 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>For the wit and wisdom of Edward Dolan, you must...

use a scanning electron microscope and a good deal of imagination.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

> On 30 Nov 2004 10:56:07 -0800, [email protected] (DiscoDuck)
> wrote:
>
> >Another favourite of mine, is "You can do what you want with
> >statistic-85% of people know that." :)

> Well, hell, everyone knows that 94.2% of statistics are made up on the
> spot ;-)

Statistics have shown that 65.34% of statistics are inaccurate.
And 80% of people consider themselves to be above average.

Won't work because nobody in lab coats will supervise the experiment, gotta
have those lab coats

"DiscoDuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Everybody here, ride thier bike this week without a helmet (law or
> not) and report here if you made it back alive. If not then leave a
> note for a loved one to post here that you experienced an unfortunate
> head injury and suffered serious brain damage (such as Robert
> Broughton or Edward Dolan).
>
> Do not engage in argument in this thread only. Just report back with
> either
>
> a) Rode today without a helmet-still alive and unharmed
>
> b) Today "insert name here" I proved my point that ALL people should
> wear a helmet because I was in an accident and sufferred a head inury.
> Note, real name, area and hospital must be provided for authenticity
> (we wouldn't want lyers posting falsehoods, would we).

Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the following...
> On 30 Nov 2004 10:56:07 -0800, [email protected] (DiscoDuck)
> wrote:
>
> >Another favourite of mine, is "You can do what you want with
> >statistic-85% of people know that." :)

> Well, hell, everyone knows that 94.2% of statistics are made up on the
> spot ;-)

I once told that joke to a group of people, while they were laughing
someone else wandered up and asked what was so funny, so I repeated the
joke, only the number changed. One member of the original group said
"Hang on. Last time it was only xx%". He got more laughs than I did. [1]

Jon

[1] Sadly though, he was serious.