An experiment to prove the helmet law proponants RIGHT (or wrong)

Edward Dolan wrote:

SNIP

> > We are at war now.. and some consider the Americans dragged us in.

> I give Australia and Great Britain a lot of credit for entering into
> the war on the side of the US. But I also know that most of the
> common folk of those two nations are not for the war. The reason for
> this is that they want the US to carry the entire burden of
> maintaining law and order in the world. I guess that is what comes of
> being the sole remaining super power in the world.

With your passion for orderly society, you must see the result of the
US' efforts in Iraq as a disaster - such an increase in chaos and
criminal activity. Or does that not matter, as long as it's not in
your country?

Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to dave:
>
>>Helmets do work against magpie strikes. Of course a magpie strike to
>>the back of the head aint that likely to be lethal :) Its the only
>>area tho where the effectiveness of a helmet seems clear to me.. (Waits
>>for howls of rebuttal)

> <Howl> If covered, they're damned good at keeping the rain off. </Howl>

f covered they are damm good at giving you (well me) heatstroke :(

Mark Thompson wrote:
>>Its the only
>>area tho where the effectiveness of a helmet seems clear to me.. (Waits
>>for howls of rebuttal)

> Okay, you weren't being entirely serious but it is important to remember
> that helmets are very effective at preventing many minor but still painful
> injuries to the top of the head. They're actually very good at doing what
> they're designed for.
>
> Mark.

That would be magpie strikes... maybe taps from branches. A mate got
in a fight one.. in which his helmet was clobbered... and in fact fell
appart.. but at 150 bucks for the helmet.. I will take the bruise

And I was being entirely serious :) Their are a dozen holes in my
helmet from magpie hits.. None in my head. Clearly in that respect
they work.

Dave

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> I've been straight over the bars and landed on my head from 10-15mph on
> tarmac and lived without any medical attention. That was when I was 9. I've
> been over the bars several times since then (I'm fairly reckless, I guess),
> and always managed not to hit my head. The ability to learn to fall from
> moderate speeds without injuring vulnerable body parts is hardwired into
> primates, IMHO.

Me too. When I was about 8 I rode into the back of a parked caravan
with enough forrce to bend the forks and I headed the caravan putting a
nice big dent in it. Also went over the bars at another time and quite
a few other offies. In those days helmets didn't exist for bicycles and
I cannot recall a single person getting injured or killed. I did have
two school friends killed riding a stolen motor scooter head on into a
truck though

Tony

David Martin wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> And I was being entirely serious :) Their are a dozen holes in my
>> helmet from magpie hits.. None in my head. Clearly in that respect
>> they work.

> Wht is it about your helmet that makes them a corvid magnet?
>
> ..d

nah its one particular maggie.

evil creature :)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:51:25 +0000 someone who may be Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>But do note that you're probably more likely to get a
>graze and a bump doing all sorts of things /other/ than cycling that
>hardly anyone routinely wears a helmet for. Walking along a street or
>down stairs, for example.

Agreed. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4191205.stm outlines
the death of someone reversing his wheelchair out of a minibus. The
BBC did not make any comment about whether he was wearing a helmet.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>No need to worry about that Dave. My traveling days are over.
>>
>>I have never traveled in my life to meet people, but only to meet their
>>artifacts and to meet the landscape. But from my reading of traveler's books
>>on Australia, it seems to be a particularly unattractive continent. I do
>>love the desert but according to these many travelers, the Australian desert
>>is bleak and uninteresting. No, if I were into traveling I would put
>>Australia last on my list of places to visit.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> *victory dance*

Well travelled those yanks. Imagine never travelling to meet people
but..."only their artifacts" Sara you reading this?

Dave

Marty Wallace wrote:

> (Kevlar was invented by a woman by the way.)

The impetus for all inventions are women. Do you think some bloke woke up
one morning and said 'today I'll invent a mixmaster?' No way. His thought
was 'how can I get the missus in a good enough mood to get a root'.

If it wasn't for women men would still be living in caves, .... and happy!

Theo

JLB wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> David Martin wrote:

>>> Wht is it about your helmet that makes them a corvid magnet?

>> nah its one particular maggie.

> Is it the helmet that attracts it?

Who the hell knows... I think he is a reincarnated attack pilot. Once
he hit me I looked up to see him standind on a wingtip turning so
hard, he came straight in and tried for me again and as he took off I
swear he was jinking to avoid anti aircraft fire.

A while ago I shot him in the face with my water bottle and he swerved
and clobbered my mate just in front. Was on the path just east of
Hawthorn velo.

Luckily ground attack season seems over.. I was real tempted to go down
there with the 410 and spoil his week. He lives in one of the trees
beside Auburn rd near the carpark on toorak rd.

Other than Him I was hit once on the path the other side of the freeway
from the velo... might have been the same guy; and once outside flinders
st station a couple of years ago.. Now that was just strange

Dave

Dave

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 at 10:27 GMT, Tony Raven (aka Bruce)
> An astronomer, a physicist and a mathematician were travelling together
> from Sydney to Melbourne for a conference. As they crossed the border
> into Victoria the astronomer looked out the window and, spotting a
> black sheep, said to his companions "Would you look at that, all the
> sheep in Victoria are black!" "That's rubbish" replied the physicist,
> "with your observation all you can say is there are black sheep in
> Victoria". "You're both wrong" growled the mathematician. "All you can
> say is that in Victoria there is at least one field in which there is at
> least one sheep of which at least one side is black"

Why, that's entirely unfair! Just yesterday, I got some simulation
results that agreed with observation within an order of magnitude.
Just after I do some sanity checks on it, we are going to rush out a
paper, because the results are so exciting!

I demand you change that to "based on this sample of one, most of the
sheep in Victoria are black".

Recursive: Adj. See Recursive.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>

>>> When you are sitting in a seat of power the very first thing you will
>>> discover is that there is a history to every law under the sun and
>>> that there are good and sufficient reasons for every bit of
>>> legislation.You will have to think twice and more before you start to
>>> change anything.

>> We had a local law repealed five years ago. This law required a man
>> with a red flag to precede any motor vehicle on St Georges Terrace (in
>> Minneapolis, that would be Main St). Thousands of CRIMINALS per day
>> have flouted this perfectly good and sensible law for about 80 years.
>>
>> Theo
>>
>> Ed, are you really looking for a crossposting troll war? I can get
>> another dozen totally unrelated ngs full of madmen involved if you
>> want. Should make your friends in ARBR very happy.

> Edward Dolan's sole purpose on Usenet is to engage in off-topic
> arguments and antagonize as many people as possible.
>
> Mr. Dolan has no friends on alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent; just those who
> kill-file him, ignore him, read him for his unintentional humor, or
> point out his mistakes in factual matters.

Not your average Yank then? :)

Gee and I was thinking what a lovely well traveled warm engaging person
he was.. and how welcome we would make him feel if he visited our lovely
country.

Regards

Dave

Marty Wallace wrote:

> Religious nuts are worse than cycling nuts?
> C'mon guys, we're not trying hard enough!

WHAT! CYCLING IS NOT YOUR RELIGION? HEATHEN!!!! ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tamyka Bell wrote:

> > Wow, third person self reference. That's one step away from adding a
> > "the".
> >
> > Many thanks to The Ed.

> We prefer to use "Mr. Ed". ;)
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

But Doesn't *Mr* Ed make sense?

Frank

> In this instance the helmet absorbed enough of the impact to prevent
> serious brain damage, otherwise he wouldn't be here today to tell us
> about it.

What about if the impact wasn't enough to give brain damage? I only
mention is because IT'S BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS!.

After falling off a bicycle and striking my head I would expect to get up
going "Ow, that bloody hurt!".

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, TimC wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 at 10:27 GMT, Tony Raven (aka Bruce)
> > An astronomer, a physicist and a mathematician were travelling together
> > from Sydney to Melbourne for a conference. As they crossed the border
> > into Victoria the astronomer looked out the window and, spotting a
> > black sheep, said to his companions "Would you look at that, all the
> > sheep in Victoria are black!" "That's rubbish" replied the physicist,
> > "with your observation all you can say is there are black sheep in
> > Victoria". "You're both wrong" growled the mathematician. "All you can
> > say is that in Victoria there is at least one field in which there is at
> > least one sheep of which at least one side is black"

> Why, that's entirely unfair! Just yesterday, I got some simulation
> results that agreed with observation within an order of magnitude.
> Just after I do some sanity checks on it, we are going to rush out a
> paper, because the results are so exciting!
>
> I demand you change that to "based on this sample of one, most of the
> sheep in Victoria are black".
>
> --
> TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
> Recursive: Adj. See Recursive.

reading medical reviews today. "phase ii clinical trials of black sheep in
victoria" "black sheep showed some activity in victoria and further
clinical trials are recommended"

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > In this instance the helmet absorbed enough of the impact to prevent
> > serious brain damage, otherwise he wouldn't be here today to tell us
> > about it.

> What about if the impact wasn't enough to give brain damage? I only
> mention is because IT'S BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS!.
>
> After falling off a bicycle and striking my head I would expect to get up
> going "Ow, that bloody hurt!".

If I did the same thing I would get up saying "Wow! Lucky I had had my
helmet on!"

marty

"Andrew Reddaway" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> SNIP
>>
>> > We are at war now.. and some consider the Americans dragged us in.

>> I give Australia and Great Britain a lot of credit for entering into
>> the war on the side of the US. But I also know that most of the
>> common folk of those two nations are not for the war. The reason for
>> this is that they want the US to carry the entire burden of
>> maintaining law and order in the world. I guess that is what comes of
>> being the sole remaining super power in the world.
>>

> With your passion for orderly society, you must see the result of the
> US' efforts in Iraq as a disaster - such an increase in chaos and
> criminal activity. Or does that not matter, as long as it's not in
> your country?

The war with Iraq turned out to be a cake walk as I knew it would. However,
the aftermath has turned into a tricky situation to say the least. No one
was expecting that the remnants of the Sadaam regime would become insurgent
terrorists. It is not a disaster, but simply a tricky situation that can and
will be solved. American casualties are minimal, but I admit that they can't
go on indefinitely.

The Iraqis are reaping what they have sown via their former tyrant, Sadaam
Hussein. I never entirely excuse a people for the kind of governance they
have. If the Arabs had more love of freedom and democracy and less love of
tyrants and autocracy, maybe they wouldn't always be so miserable. But the
very first thing they have to do in order to enter the present century is to
reform their Muslim religion which is an abomination.

By the way, you don't like an orderly society?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Edward Dolan wrote:
<snip>

> The Iraqis are reaping what they have sown via their former tyrant, Sadaam
> Hussein. I never entirely excuse a people for the kind of governance they
> have. If the Arabs had more love of freedom and democracy and less love of
> tyrants and autocracy, maybe they wouldn't always be so miserable. But the
> very first thing they have to do in order to enter the present century is to
> reform their Muslim religion which is an abomination.

<snip>

How much do you know about Islam? I mean, in contrast to what you
hear about extremists on the television. It is no more of an abomination
than any other faith. Or are you merely athiest?

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

>> Beer is for the young and uncultivated barbarians. Us civilized
>> sophisticated gentlemen of the world prefer wine, the nectar of the Gods.
>> Try to get up to speed why don't you?
>> --
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>>

> If you drank some of nice Australian beers you wouldn't need to drink
> rotten
> grape juice.
> If I ever meet you we'll have a drink together, try a few of each.
>
> Marty

I just read something (somewhere) that wine is now outselling beer in the US
for the first time ever. Basically, hootch is hootch and none of us would be
drinking any of it if it weren't for the alcohol.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Edward Dolan wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> The Iraqis are reaping what they have sown via their former tyrant,
>> Sadaam
>> Hussein. I never entirely excuse a people for the kind of governance they
>> have. If the Arabs had more love of freedom and democracy and less love
>> of
>> tyrants and autocracy, maybe they wouldn't always be so miserable. But
>> the
>> very first thing they have to do in order to enter the present century is
>> reform their Muslim religion which is an abomination.
>>

> <snip>
>
> How much do you know about Islam? I mean, in contrast to what you
> hear about extremists on the television. It is no more of an abomination
> than any other faith. Or are you merely athiest?

What is there to know? All you have to do is take note of their behavior in
the world. They are nothing but trouble wherever they are found. The reason
they are trouble is because of their religious beliefs. Muslims can only
live with other Muslims - where only they can appreciate all the preying
that goes on among themselves.

If you are a Christian or a Jew, why not go to a Muslim country and try to
live there and see how they treat you. Trust me on this - you won't like it.
You will most likely be murdered. But that is ever the case with stupid
Christians and Jews and others who think Islam is just another peaceful
religion. It is actually a war like religion par excellence.

Better yet, tell a Muslim that you are an atheist and you will most likely
be dead before you hit the ground. You can only live in a Muslim country as
a Muslim. If you decide to do this, you will enter the Middle Ages which the
West left behind many hundreds of years ago. Lots of luck on your new
adventurous life in Saudi Arabia.

By the way, any Muslims in Australia?

Also, what kind of name is Tamyka? Sounds aborigine to me. Bell is fine, but
Tamyka is weird and freakish! Were your parents crazy or what?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota