An interesting point of view

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    WARNING: Contains helmet content.

    I asked the webmaster of BHSI.org why he was still quoting the original 88% figure from Thompson,
    Rivara and Thompson, although they had published revised figures in 1996 which put their estimate in
    line with the average of pro-helmet studies at around 2/3.

    Here's their reply:

    "We are aware of the second study, but by the time it appeared the 85% figure was so deeply
    ingrained in the injury prevention community that a change will not be helpful. I regard any similar
    numbers published in those or other studies as approximations anyway. Over the years observation of
    who gets head-injured and who does not seems to support the 85% number. So we have left it up that
    way. We do have references to the later study for those who need more."

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Here's their reply:
    >
    > "We are aware of the second study, but by the time it appeared the 85% figure was so deeply
    > ingrained in the injury prevention community that a change will not be helpful.

    In that case the sun must go round the Earth, because that was a deeply ingrained view before
    Copernicus.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > WARNING: Contains helmet content.

    Another wonderful example of "Don't confuse me with facts"

    Tony

  4. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>typed

    > WARNING: Contains helmet content.

    > I asked the webmaster of BHSI.org why he was still quoting the original 88% figure from Thompson,
    > Rivara and Thompson, although they had published revised figures in 1996 which put their estimate
    > in line with the average of pro-helmet studies at around 2/3.

    > Here's their reply:

    > "We are aware of the second study, but by the time it appeared the 85% figure was so deeply
    > ingrained in the injury prevention community that a change will not be helpful. I regard any
    > similar numbers published in those or other studies as approximations anyway. Over the years
    > observation of who gets head-injured and who does not seems to support the 85% number. So we have
    > left it up that way. We do have references to the later study for those who need more."

    If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth, doesn't it?

    I'm sure that was Hitler's line in propaganda...

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:37:47 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth, doesn't it? I'm sure that was Hitler's line
    >in propaganda...

    <pedant> Lenin </pedant>

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  6. Just Zis Guy

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth, doesn't it? I'm sure that was Hitler's line
    >in propaganda...

    More complete answer:

    Goebbels said "If the lie is big enough and told often enough, it will be believed." Lenin said "A
    lie told often enough becomes the truth."

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:37:47 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth, doesn't it? I'm sure that was Hitler's
    >> line in propaganda...
    >
    > More complete answer:
    >
    > Goebbels said "If the lie is big enough and told often enough, it will be believed." Lenin said "A
    > lie told often enough becomes the truth."

    " if the facts say otherwise then the facts must be altered" George Orwell in 1984

    Tony

  8. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth, doesn't it?
    >
    > I'm sure that was Hitler's line in propaganda...

    For heavens sake, get up to date. Hitler was a rank amateur compared to our current leadership. As
    were Lenin and Goebbels.

    Blair is the most militaristic leader we've had since the empire[1], but he *doesn't* go parading in
    uniform in front of his army - that would be far too unsubtle (dubya's constituency is different).
    He does what every barrister does on a daily basis: he makes his case eloquently without letting
    things like facts get in the way.

    [1] and future leaders will only get worse until we have a genuine cold-war situation again: both
    the US and UK are too dependent economically on armaments exports to allow peace to proliferate.

    --
    Finally, someone takes a stand against Humbug. Three cheers for Austrian shop workers!

  9. Nick Kew

    at the keyboard of "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > " if the facts say otherwise then the facts must be altered" George Orwell in 1984

    Echoing honourable precedents like Lady Bracknell ...

    --
    Finally, someone takes a stand against Humbug. Three cheers for Austrian shop workers!

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Nick Kew wrote:
    > [1] and future leaders will only get worse until we have a genuine cold-war situation again: both
    > the US and UK are too dependent economically on armaments exports to allow peace to
    > proliferate.

    "The primary aim of modern warfare is to use up the products of the machine without raising the
    general standard of living." Orwell again

    Tony

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:28:28 -0000, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >" if the facts say otherwise then the facts must be altered"

    Easy to say after the event ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  12. [email protected] schreef ...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    > > Here's their reply:
    > >
    > > "We are aware of the second study, but by the time it appeared the 85% figure was so deeply
    > > ingrained in the injury prevention community that a change will not be helpful.
    >
    > In that case the sun must go round the Earth, because that was a deeply ingrained view before
    > Copernicus.

    <confused> Wait a minute....... you're saying it's not going around the Earth?! Since when?
    </confused>

    --
    Regards, Marten