An Interesting Sight

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Riding to work today I passed a "mature" woman pedestrian walking her dog along a country road (no
    footway). She was walking facing traffic, and her dog had a high-viz doggie-jacket.

    Only thing was, she was walking to the left of the dog. In the middle of the carriageway. Wearing a
    dark grey duffel coat. Exactly the same colour as the tarmac!

    I found it really hard not to shout Oi! Dog-Woman! NO!

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > .. today I passed a "mature" woman

    Painful !

  3. MSeries wrote:

    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    >>.. today I passed a "mature" woman
    >

    > Painful !

    I bet he couldn't get the seat down afterwards ;-)

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > Riding to work today I passed a "mature" woman pedestrian walking her dog along a country road (no
    > footway). She was walking facing traffic, and her dog had a high-viz doggie-jacket.

    Often when I drive to work there is a mature woman cycling on the cycle path painted on the RHS of a
    one-way street, she approaches, legitimately, from the other direction but has a collie on a lead
    running alongside on her RHS, i.e. in the road. As a cyclist/motorist/dog-owner I feel a compelling
    urge to slap her silly face ;-)
    --
    Regards, Pete

  5. Maf

    Maf Guest

    On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog on
    a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of a
    slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
    shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

    Mike

  6. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > On Any suggestions?

    Learn to tolerate diversity and stupidy after learning to ride around obstructions :)

  7. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "maf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
    > on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
    > a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
    > shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

    Slap her silly face ;-)
    --
    Regards, Pete

  8. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    maf <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Any suggestions?

    Lie in wait in the bushes with a nice juicy steak and just when she is passing toss it towards the
    dog. With any luck the dog will dart sideways pulling the silly woman off her bike. ;-)

    Graeme

    (my other thoughts were much less dog friendly, but it isn't the dog's fault so why make it suffer)

  9. W K

    W K Guest

    "maf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
    > on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
    > a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
    > shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

    Dunno, but I used to ride a bike being dragged by two very enthusiastic and overweight short-haired-
    pointers (25 kg each) So: count small blessings.

    BTW: for the record I did not, and do not, view this as "perfectly safe".

  10. maf wrote:

    > On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
    > on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
    > a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
    > shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

    Get some spiked snow tyres and go for the dog...oh sorry, I've been looking at that ABD
    website again ;-)

  11. maf wrote:

    > Any suggestions?

    Attempt to persuade the dog to pass an immovable object - park bench, tree, Lord Hutton, etc. - on
    the opposite side from the woman. Bonus points warded for doggy squeals and woman flat on face in
    pile of dog eggs.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  12. Last week we were driving on a very minor road across the North Pennines and as we rounded a bend
    there was a car ahead of us going very, very slowly. We couldn't pass but after a few seconds the
    driver signalled and pulled into the edge at a point where the road was wide enough to pass. As we
    passed we noticed a dog walking along ahead of the car. Looking back the car pulled out and followed
    the dog at a crawl again. The dog wasn't on a lead but the guy in the car did seem to be walking his
    dog by car. At least the dog was getting some exercise.

    Colin
    --

  13. Davep

    Davep Guest

    maf wrote:

    > On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
    > on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
    > a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
    > shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Mike

    Ask her out to lunch , she might be a rich widow.

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > maf wrote:
    >
    >> Any suggestions?
    >
    > Attempt to persuade the dog to pass an immovable object - park bench, tree, Lord Hutton, etc. - on
    > the opposite side from the woman. Bonus points warded for doggy squeals and woman flat on face in
    > pile of dog eggs.

    Schadenfreude is alive and well and living in Urc

    Tony

  15. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    maf <[email protected]> writes:
    > haven't shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

    Yes. Fix your newsreader not to advertise your post as cyrillic (russian alphabet) when posting in
    English - it looks *very* strange. You might also want to consider your language preferences: your
    browser is asking smart webservers for the French language versions of their pages.

    --
    Nick Kew

  16. Bill Putnam

    Bill Putnam Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ...the guy in the car did seem to be walking his dog by car. At least the dog was getting some
    > exercise.
    >
    > Colin

    Colin,

    Be thankful that this is an anomaly in your area. In the US it is quite common. On the bright side,
    at least the driver isn't likely to have his vehicle pulled off the road by the dog. I worry about
    this with cyclists who take their leashed dogs for a "walk." Then again, people on roller blades may
    be in yet a more precarious position.

    Bill Putnam

  17. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Bill Putnam wrote:
    > On the bright side, at least the driver isn't likely to have his vehicle pulled off the road by
    > the dog. I worry about this with cyclists who take their leashed dogs for a "walk." Then again,
    > people on roller blades may be in yet a more precarious position.

    In Norway they have a specific sprung attachment so that if the dog lurches, it is absorbed by the
    spring (the lead is attached to the top of a vertical pole attached to a stiff spring. This gives
    nearly a metre of lurch before you lurch)

    ..d

  18. Martian

    Martian Guest

    maf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    "...............she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I
    > haven't shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?"

    "Oi, bitch" could be quite economical.