An Interesting Sight

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Riding to work today I passed a "mature" woman pedestrian walking her dog along a country road (no
footway). She was walking facing traffic, and her dog had a high-viz doggie-jacket.

Only thing was, she was walking to the left of the dog. In the middle of the carriageway. Wearing a
dark grey duffel coat. Exactly the same colour as the tarmac!

I found it really hard not to shout Oi! Dog-Woman! NO!

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> .. today I passed a "mature" woman

Painful !

MSeries wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>>.. today I passed a "mature" woman
>

> Painful !

I bet he couldn't get the seat down afterwards ;-)

> Riding to work today I passed a "mature" woman pedestrian walking her dog along a country road (no
> footway). She was walking facing traffic, and her dog had a high-viz doggie-jacket.

Often when I drive to work there is a mature woman cycling on the cycle path painted on the RHS of a
one-way street, she approaches, legitimately, from the other direction but has a collie on a lead
running alongside on her RHS, i.e. in the road. As a cyclist/motorist/dog-owner I feel a compelling
urge to slap her silly face ;-)
--
Regards, Pete

On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog on
a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of a
slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

Mike

> On Any suggestions?

Learn to tolerate diversity and stupidy after learning to ride around obstructions :)

"maf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
> on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
> a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
> shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

Slap her silly face ;-)
--
Regards, Pete

maf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Any suggestions?

Lie in wait in the bushes with a nice juicy steak and just when she is passing toss it towards the
dog. With any luck the dog will dart sideways pulling the silly woman off her bike. ;-)

Graeme

(my other thoughts were much less dog friendly, but it isn't the dog's fault so why make it suffer)

"maf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
> on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
> a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
> shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

Dunno, but I used to ride a bike being dragged by two very enthusiastic and overweight short-haired-
pointers (25 kg each) So: count small blessings.

BTW: for the record I did not, and do not, view this as "perfectly safe".

maf wrote:

> On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
> on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
> a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
> shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

Get some spiked snow tyres and go for the dog...oh sorry, I've been looking at that ABD
website again ;-)

maf wrote:

> Any suggestions?

Attempt to persuade the dog to pass an immovable object - park bench, tree, Lord Hutton, etc. - on
the opposite side from the woman. Bonus points warded for doggy squeals and woman flat on face in
pile of dog eggs.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Last week we were driving on a very minor road across the North Pennines and as we rounded a bend
there was a car ahead of us going very, very slowly. We couldn't pass but after a few seconds the
driver signalled and pulled into the edge at a point where the road was wide enough to pass. As we
passed we noticed a dog walking along ahead of the car. Looking back the car pulled out and followed
the dog at a crawl again. The dog wasn't on a lead but the guy in the car did seem to be walking his
dog by car. At least the dog was getting some exercise.

Colin
--

maf wrote:

> On my morning commute through Hyde Park, I often encounter a lady riding a bike and walking a dog
> on a lead at the same time. The dog has legs no taller than an inch or two, so her pace is that of
> a slug. with the dog's lead across the cycle pass, she, and the dog, are a real hazard. I haven't
> shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?
>
> Mike

Ask her out to lunch , she might be a rich widow.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> maf wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Attempt to persuade the dog to pass an immovable object - park bench, tree, Lord Hutton, etc. - on
> the opposite side from the woman. Bonus points warded for doggy squeals and woman flat on face in
> pile of dog eggs.

Schadenfreude is alive and well and living in Urc

Tony

In article <[email protected]>,
maf <[email protected]> writes:
> haven't shouted at her yet. Any suggestions?

Yes. Fix your newsreader not to advertise your post as cyrillic (russian alphabet) when posting in
English - it looks *very* strange. You might also want to consider your language preferences: your
browser is asking smart webservers for the French language versions of their pages.

--
Nick Kew

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ...the guy in the car did seem to be walking his dog by car. At least the dog was getting some
> exercise.
>
> Colin

Colin,

Be thankful that this is an anomaly in your area. In the US it is quite common. On the bright side,
at least the driver isn't likely to have his vehicle pulled off the road by the dog. I worry about
this with cyclists who take their leashed dogs for a "walk." Then again, people on roller blades may
be in yet a more precarious position.

Bill Putnam

Bill Putnam wrote:
> On the bright side, at least the driver isn't likely to have his vehicle pulled off the road by
> the dog. I worry about this with cyclists who take their leashed dogs for a "walk." Then again,
> people on roller blades may be in yet a more precarious position.

In Norway they have a specific sprung attachment so that if the dog lurches, it is absorbed by the
spring (the lead is attached to the top of a vertical pole attached to a stiff spring. This gives
nearly a metre of lurch before you lurch)

..d