An Odd Theft

Gadget

Guest
Last night I was working late (10.30pm). When I get out of work something didn't feel right with the
bike and then I realised what it was. Some hooligan had walked off with the brackets for my front
and rear lights. Left everything else on there, including the seat bag, just took the light
brackets. So there I am at 10.30 trying to decide if I should (and could) justify cycling home
without me lights. Is there any point to taking the brackets? surely not. So now I have to get some
new brackets from Cateye.

Gadget

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Is there any point to taking the )
brackets? surely not.

When this sort of thing last happened to me (so long ago it was Nightrider brackets) I assumed it
was someone who had already pinched lights in circumstances when it would have been unwise to spend
the extra few moments needed to get the brackets too. The next set I had, I fitted a hex nut instead
of the wingnut on the front bracket.

Gadget wrote:
> Is there any point to taking the brackets? surely not.

....Probably got the lights already - and I bet he didn't buy them!

In any case, they'll nick anything, whether useful or not :-(

~PB

Too right, they'll just nick about anything.

Talking of strange thefts though, I'd left my saddle bag on my bike once that is easily removable and all that was in it was a puncture repair kit. When I came back to the locked bike I'd found some idiot had stolen the puncture repair kit out of the saddlebag but not the easily removable saddlebag. WTF?

Some one nicked a pair of my brake blocks once, both rear blocks could not have worked loose, fallen
off whilst parked then disappeared from the floor

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Too right, they'll just nick about anything.
>
> Talking of strange thefts though, I'd left my saddle bag on my bike once that is easily removable
> and all that was in it was a puncture repair kit. When I came back to the locked bike I'd found
> some idiot had stolen the puncture repair kit out of the saddlebag but not the easily removable
> saddlebag. WTF?

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last night I was working late (10.30pm). When I get out of work something didn't feel right with
> the bike and then I realised what it was. Some hooligan had walked off with the brackets for my
> front and rear lights.
Left
> everything else on there, including the seat bag, just took the light brackets. So there I am at
> 10.30 trying to decide if I should (and could) justify cycling home without me lights. Is there
> any point to taking the brackets? surely not. So now I have to get some new brackets from Cateye.

I had a seat pin stolen outside a pub; they couldn't nick the seat itself as it was locked to the
bike, so they just got the pin!

On one occasion I was having considerable difficulty with the front shifting on my upright tourer.
Looking down at the mech and chainset, I was puzzled by the amount of lateral movement in the big
chainring. "How the smeg did I bend it THAT much?" I thought. But on arrival at work, a more
throrough examination shewed that the chainring was not, infact, bent, but rather that three of the
five chainring bolts were missing and the remaining pair some way short of finger-tight. I could
imagine one working loose and dropping off, but not all of them.

The happy postscript was that the bike shop section of the now-disappeared YHA shop in Covent Garden
were able to supply a (non-matching) replacement set in exchange for "one large bag of mint humbugs,
to be delivered the next time you are passing". It is possible that the bike shop person in question
was one "Charlie", formerly of the YHA shop in Southampton, where he once straightened a very bent
rear wheel in exchange for a bag of doughnuts :)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

A few years ago, when I was living in Amsterdam, some kind soul pinched the shonky (26", **** vuelta rim and cheapie Shimano hub) front wheel from my mountain bike.

Pretty normal except for the small fact that they exchanged it with a 27" Mavic rimmed, LX hubbed wheel. Nice but sadly oversized.

They also stole the completely worn out brake blocks. Odd.

Some months later, somebody stole one of the bar ends. Just one.

Funny people, the Dutch.