An Odd Theft

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gadget, May 23, 2003.

  1. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    Last night I was working late (10.30pm). When I get out of work something didn't feel right with the
    bike and then I realised what it was. Some hooligan had walked off with the brackets for my front
    and rear lights. Left everything else on there, including the seat bag, just took the light
    brackets. So there I am at 10.30 trying to decide if I should (and could) justify cycling home
    without me lights. Is there any point to taking the brackets? surely not. So now I have to get some
    new brackets from Cateye.

    Gadget

    Tags:

  2. "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Is there any point to taking the )
    brackets? surely not.

    When this sort of thing last happened to me (so long ago it was Nightrider brackets) I assumed it
    was someone who had already pinched lights in circumstances when it would have been unwise to spend
    the extra few moments needed to get the brackets too. The next set I had, I fitted a hex nut instead
    of the wingnut on the front bracket.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Gadget wrote:
    > Is there any point to taking the brackets? surely not.

    ....Probably got the lights already - and I bet he didn't buy them!

    In any case, they'll nick anything, whether useful or not :-(

    ~PB

  4. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Too right, they'll just nick about anything.

    Talking of strange thefts though, I'd left my saddle bag on my bike once that is easily removable and all that was in it was a puncture repair kit. When I came back to the locked bike I'd found some idiot had stolen the puncture repair kit out of the saddlebag but not the easily removable saddlebag. WTF?

  5. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Some one nicked a pair of my brake blocks once, both rear blocks could not have worked loose, fallen
    off whilst parked then disappeared from the floor

    "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Too right, they'll just nick about anything.
    >
    > Talking of strange thefts though, I'd left my saddle bag on my bike once that is easily removable
    > and all that was in it was a puncture repair kit. When I came back to the locked bike I'd found
    > some idiot had stolen the puncture repair kit out of the saddlebag but not the easily removable
    > saddlebag. WTF?

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Last night I was working late (10.30pm). When I get out of work something didn't feel right with
    > the bike and then I realised what it was. Some hooligan had walked off with the brackets for my
    > front and rear lights.
    Left
    > everything else on there, including the seat bag, just took the light brackets. So there I am at
    > 10.30 trying to decide if I should (and could) justify cycling home without me lights. Is there
    > any point to taking the brackets? surely not. So now I have to get some new brackets from Cateye.

    I had a seat pin stolen outside a pub; they couldn't nick the seat itself as it was locked to the
    bike, so they just got the pin!

  7. On one occasion I was having considerable difficulty with the front shifting on my upright tourer.
    Looking down at the mech and chainset, I was puzzled by the amount of lateral movement in the big
    chainring. "How the smeg did I bend it THAT much?" I thought. But on arrival at work, a more
    throrough examination shewed that the chainring was not, infact, bent, but rather that three of the
    five chainring bolts were missing and the remaining pair some way short of finger-tight. I could
    imagine one working loose and dropping off, but not all of them.

    The happy postscript was that the bike shop section of the now-disappeared YHA shop in Covent Garden
    were able to supply a (non-matching) replacement set in exchange for "one large bag of mint humbugs,
    to be delivered the next time you are passing". It is possible that the bike shop person in question
    was one "Charlie", formerly of the YHA shop in Southampton, where he once straightened a very bent
    rear wheel in exchange for a bag of doughnuts :)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  8. feckless

    feckless New Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2003
    A few years ago, when I was living in Amsterdam, some kind soul pinched the shonky (26", crap vuelta rim and cheapie Shimano hub) front wheel from my mountain bike.

    Pretty normal except for the small fact that they exchanged it with a 27" Mavic rimmed, LX hubbed wheel. Nice but sadly oversized.

    They also stole the completely worn out brake blocks. Odd.

    Some months later, somebody stole one of the bar ends. Just one.

    Funny people, the Dutch.