An Old Guy

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

I have been reading all the posts and wanted to not chime in but since a whole thread is dedicated to it I think it is pretty simple why people do not care for OG posts.

1) His attitude. He talks down with comments like "lack motivation" and such knowing it will **** people off.

2) Not willing to learn, just wanting to spout his thoughts as correct.

3) His workouts and posts do not seem possible. Actually this is the point that kind of got me to post in that we had someone else who I thought made claims that made no sense for his age and for his years of riding but yet everyone in that case followed it as a scripture. Men of science who needed no proof cause the claims were outcomes they wanted. 300 watts in 1 hour with only a couple years of training, well in your later years. Than asked for one graph, one report to show it, no need and "how could you even ask for proof?"

So I would give OG the same due I tried to give the other poster, just post something that proves your workouts. The other guy was not exactly the easiest to get along with when you questioned him so maybe these guys are more alike than not.

So OG post the proof of these rides and numbers and more than happy to give your due about your claims.

-js
your no. 1 I'm sure is what ticks a lot of people off.. I actually couldn't care less though.. As long as you are right.. if you are wrong.. or you're stating an opinion as fact.. look out.. Lol.. I tend to respond in kind..

Originally Posted by doctorSpoc .

your no. 1 I'm sure is what ticks a lot of people off.. I actually couldn't care less though.. As long as you are right.. if you are wrong.. or you're stating an opinion as fact.. look out.. Lol.. I tend to respond in kind..
ok... so i read some of his response in the...
Your 2010/current power profile metrics... thread... ok, ok... kind of a straight up douche there.. maybe he should change his puedonyme to crabbyOldGuy.. then people will kind of know what they are getting.. lol...

I think he's trolling though.. after reading this... "50 miles without food is not too bad. 62 without food is a bit much." LMMFAO...

made me think of this video below.. has to be OldGuy as a youth or maybe his grandson.. lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCkuqL9IcM

doctorSpoc said:
... everyone has opinions.. and we can discuss and argue about those.. but one needs to understand the difference between facts and opinion.... 
This certainly isn't a problem restricted to cycling forums, but it is one of the most popular features of bike forums. A lot of people are so absolutely sure that laws of physics don't apply to them and their bikes. They must be so sure because all too often the explanations by some rest on nothing. After almost 370 years, Newtonian mechanics is well vetted. Reading some posts it's easy to conclude that our schools are failing at teaching science.

Originally Posted by alienator .

This certainly isn't a problem restricted to cycling forums, but it is one of the most popular features of bike forums. A lot of people are so absolutely sure that laws of physics don't apply to them and their bikes. They must be so sure because all too often the explanations by some rest on nothing. After almost 370 years, Newtonian mechanics is well vetted. Reading some posts it's easy to conclude that our schools are failing at teaching science.
I also frequent a couple of golf forums... you should see the discussions of swing mechanics or impact physics; these are tame by comparison. There are always these psuedo science types that know just enough of the right words and phrases without really knowing the underlying meanings or relationships to pass themselves off as experts until the they get caught and discredited... then they disappear or turn up under a different name. I suspect the same here.

coaching has moved forward in the face of just plain wrong science handed to them by the physiologist and science in general.. e.g. lactic acid threshold.. we now know it's complete and utter bs.. doesn't exist.. can't exist.. and just by simple inspection it's easy to disprove.. some are even still hang on to it to this day.. and yet in spite of this wrong info from the scientist

No exercise scientist worthy of the name ever believed in a lactic acid threshold. For that matter, only a handful ever bought into the idea of an anaerobic threshold, and most never even really considered "threshold" to be a true threshold.

A fly in the ointment here...

A.O.G. is harmless. The issue, IMO, lies within those who get ticked off by him, and is a thousand times more sinister than A.O.G. could ever be. The main culprit is that individual's ego, aka sense of self. The need to be 'right'; that little voice inside your head that says, "I'm going to show this guy who's the stronger man" - this causes people to argue incessantly and become thoroughly annoyed with A.O.G. He lays the bait, and some people take it hook, line, and sinker. He can be condescending at times, as are many regulars on this forum - so what? Anonomous internet people don't exist in reality anyway - don't take him so seriously...Why he has his own thread is amazing.

Originally Posted by acoggan .

No exercise scientist worthy of the name ever believed in a lactic acid threshold. For that matter, only a handful ever bought into the idea of an anaerobic threshold, and most never even really considered "threshold" to be a true threshold.
..yeah, whatever man.. lol... OK.. how about the notion that Lactic Acid was the main culprit, responsible for muscle fatigue? seems a certain nobel laureate came up with that ****... i guess No exercise scientist worthy of the name ever believed that either?

..like rats from a burning ship.

My view is that AOG is a prime example that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Theories about training have moved on over the years, but there is no doubt that training using these outdated theories can still yield results. Give it another 30 years and who know how much we 'know' now will have been disproven by research.

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7 .

My view is that AOG is a prime example that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Theories about training have moved on over the years, but there is no doubt that training using these outdated theories can still yield results. Give it another 30 years and who know how much we 'know' now will have been disproven by research.
this is basically what I've said.. if you have no restrictions on your time at all, much of his advice actually makes sense.. the only thing is that pros and single, retirees are about the only people that are in that boat, so much of his advices it not applicable to most people on this forum. and in addition, he does actually lie about some stuff as well.. some of the stuff he says is just not humanly possible.. no one can do 150% FTP 1min ever other minute for an hr.. c'mon.. his other problems is that he tries to justify his advice with science and he just doesn't have a good grasp of science, math etc.. he should just give that a rest and talk about HIS experience...

I think you just lack the neccesary motivation to ride enough.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

I think you just lack the neccesary motivation to ride enough.
Exactly... not motivated and commited enough... to neglect my two young kids and my wife that I love and WANT to spend time with.. quit my job and get a new more flexible one.. not sure if you're being sarcastic but, I am definitely not motivated in any way, shape or form to do more than I'm doing at this point in my life (43 yrs old).. and I don't think I'm alone.. funny I was having a conversation with a team mate on way back from a race about how well divorce correlated with cycling performance.. correlates very well based on the riders we competed with..

Doc,

You obviously lack the motivation Old Man has. If you can post this much from work I'm sure there's a way that you can train that much whilst at work too. You also need to ride to and from work and find a route that's headwind/uphill both ways but be mindful that you'll need to find a random source of water every ten miles or so.

;)

Just remember - you can ride at 150% FTP yet still be passed by random blokes on bikes wearing tennis shoes using toe clips and straps.

Quote:

..yeah, whatever man.. lol... OK.. how about the notion that Lactic Acid was the main culprit, responsible for muscle fatigue? seems a certain nobel laureate came up with that ****... i guess No exercise scientist worthy of the name ever believed that either?

..like rats from a burning ship.

Yeah, point taken, if you go back long enough you can certainly find some now-outdated theories, which have undoubtedly had significant impact upon how non-scientists think the body works. So, I suppose I should have qualified my comments by saying "no modern exercise scientist..." (with "modern" = "those I have encountered in my adult life").

BTW, if anybody wants to understand the impact A.V. Hill had upon the field, and why he thought what he did, I have attempted to provide some insight in this historical article:

http://wustl.academia.edu/AndrewRCoggan/Papers/544120/Coggan_AR._Metabolic_systems_substrate_utilization_1910-2010_._In_Tipton_CM_ed._History_of_Exercise_Physiology._Champaign_IL_Human_Kinetics_in_press_

Originally Posted by acoggan .

Quote:

Yeah, point taken, if you go back long enough you can certainly find some now-outdated theories, which have undoubtedly had significant impact upon how non-scientists think the body works. So, I suppose I should have qualified my comments by saying "no modern exercise scientist..." (with "modern" = "those I have encountered in my adult life").

BTW, if anybody wants to understand the impact A.V. Hill had upon the field, and why he thought what he did, I have attempted to provide some insight in this historical article:

http://wustl.academia.edu/AndrewRCoggan/Papers/544120/Coggan_AR._Metabolic_systems_substrate_utilization_1910-2010_._In_Tipton_CM_ed._History_of_Exercise_Physiology._Champaign_IL_Human_Kinetics_in_press_
Must be logged in to download. Boooo!

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Doc,

You obviously lack the motivation Old Man has. If you can post this much from work I'm sure there's a way that you can train that much whilst at work too. You also need to ride to and from work and find a route that's headwind/uphill both ways but be mindful that you'll need to find a random source of water every ten miles or so.

;)

Just remember - you can ride at 150% FTP yet still be passed by random blokes on bikes wearing tennis shoes using toe clips and straps.
yeah, I tried replacing my chair at work with a spin bike, but I kept on getting some weird stares by my co-workers and people kept coming off the elevator and saying.. what the hell is that damn smell?! so I figured it was a bad idea and removed it..

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Must be logged in to download. Boooo!
Not on my end?

Anyway, if you'd like to read it but can't access it, just shoot me an e...