Analysis of posts to alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:35:31 -0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:08:57 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> penned:
>> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>>
>>> Me, I use ssh + screen to run slrn wherever I am =)
>>
>> Geek!
>
> Guilty as charged!

"Not that there's anything wrong with it." :)

>> If I can get some good ftp sources configured with the Mandrake SW Manager I hope to have similar
>> functionality.
>>
>> Gman
>
> Don't do it!!!!
>
> The basic problem with rpm based distros is that the package system does not allow one to even
> temporarily break the package dependency tree without potentially catastrophic results. Debian's
> apt is different in that you can upgrade you system through a condition which will break
> dependencies as long as the final solution doesn't contain any broken package dependencies. The
> debian "apt-get dist-upgrade" is the magic command that will get you through this. I ran red had
> and mandrake for several years, and always ended up with a situation where I could not upgrade any
> further, a reinstall was required.
>
> Just try upgrading you libc package on an rpm based distro and see if still works afterwards :)
> Or, try downgrading it. Both of these work on debian.
>
> -Bruce

Aw, c'mon Bruce...a little box rebuilding doesn't bother me. :)

One thing I like is that Mandrake is a little better set up "out of the box". Like it already
interfaces w/ my Canon digicam, prints well to my wifes WinME served nw printer.

AND their devlopement cycle is SCARY fast...their OS is very advanced and getting better rapidly.

I really like apt-get, but I'm giving the Drake a chance.

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >
> > > and I'll still have her box to play M$ Motocross madness on! :)
> >
> > Ahem........well, if you can't think of any better
> games...........ahem....
> >

> > Shaun aRe - where TF was Sorni?!?!?!?
>
> Sorry sorry sorry... Asleep at the switch.

You're not half as sorry as you look, Billybwoy.

> Bill "eyes glaze over when things get techie" S.

Ah, I just wanted to look in and laugh at the geeks ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

On 12 Sep 2003 03:59:11 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> penned:

> Aw, c'mon Bruce...a little box rebuilding doesn't bother me. :)
>
> One thing I like is that Mandrake is a little better set up "out of the box". Like it already
> interfaces w/ my Canon digicam, prints well to my wifes WinME served nw printer.
>
> AND their devlopement cycle is SCARY fast...their OS is very advanced and getting better rapidly.
>
> I really like apt-get, but I'm giving the Drake a chance.

Depending on your reasons for using linux, this may leave a bad taste in your mouth
regarding mandrake:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7702

Apparently, they will be supplementing their income by allowing companies to place ads in the
installer.

Don't think I'll be seeing this kind of thing on debian anytime soon. And if I do, I'm switching ...
to what, I don't know, but definitely switching.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

> One thing I like is that Mandrake is a little better set up "out of the box". Like it already
> interfaces w/ my Canon digicam, prints well to my wifes WinME served nw printer.
>
> AND their devlopement cycle is SCARY fast...their OS is very advanced and getting better rapidly.

Yeah, debian's installer is the subject of many debates. There is a new installer in the works,
which is probably it's weakest feature. In the mean time.... Install Mandrake on one partition,
verify everything's working. Install Debian on another partition, use Mandrake's /etc dir as a guide
for what you might need to get the debian version working :)

-Bruce

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:53:57 -0000, Monique Y. Herman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Depending on your reasons for using linux, this may leave a bad taste in your mouth regarding
> mandrake:
>
> http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7702
>
> Apparently, they will be supplementing their income by allowing companies to place ads in the
> installer.
>
> Don't think I'll be seeing this kind of thing on debian anytime soon. And if I do, I'm switching
> ... to what, I don't know, but definitely switching.

Ouch! Yes, that leave's a very bad taste in my mouth... It may be Debian after all. Thanks for the
info Monique.

I can understand their reasoning, Mandrake is always short of cash...that rapid development cycle
costs money...

I still don't like it.

On 13 Sep 2003 02:11:22 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:53:57 -0000, Monique Y. Herman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Depending on your reasons for using linux, this may leave a bad taste in your mouth regarding
>> mandrake:
>>
>> http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7702
>>
>> Apparently, they will be supplementing their income by allowing companies to place ads in the
>> installer.
>>
>> Don't think I'll be seeing this kind of thing on debian anytime soon. And if I do, I'm switching
>> ... to what, I don't know, but definitely switching.
>>

> Ouch! Yes, that leave's a very bad taste in my mouth... It may be Debian after all. Thanks for the
> info Monique.
>
> I can understand their reasoning, Mandrake is always short of cash...that rapid development cycle
> costs money...
>
> I still don't like it.

Debian Woody (bf2.4.18) happening tomorrow...after the Dry Creek ride and while watching football.
Life is good!

Gman out