Analytical Cycling and Power meters

Fday

Dec 6, 2005
swampy1970 said:
Andrews was saying that his young daughter is riding a pass or two on a PowerCrank equiped bike. Wow.

Hey, how about a PowerCranks cycling jersey for some advertising on course ;)
I don't think chiara is going to be quite up to speed for the ride although she keeps expressing an interest. The problem is she seems to be having trouble understanding the concept of shifting down when climbing. Not a good thing for the death ride.

We will have a booth there at the expo. Come by and we can get you a t-shirt at least.

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Fday said:
I don't think chiara is going to be quite up to speed for the ride although she keeps expressing an interest. The problem is she seems to be having trouble understanding the concept of shifting down when climbing. Not a good thing for the death ride.

We will have a booth there at the expo. Come by and we can get you a t-shirt at least.
Are you going to have another booth at the Death Ride expo again this year? I'll be the guy with hairy legs who pretends never to have ridden PC's before who'll mystically ride for a long time on the PC equiped exercise bikes. I remember lasting about 45 seconds and being blasted out of my head at last years expo at your booth! Not the pre-129 mile prep-ride I had in mind that's for sure! LOL

Fday

Dec 6, 2005
swampy1970 said:
Are you going to have another booth at the Death Ride expo again this year? I'll be the guy with hairy legs who pretends never to have ridden PC's before who'll mystically ride for a long time on the PC equiped exercise bikes. I remember lasting about 45 seconds and being blasted out of my head at last years expo at your booth! Not the pre-129 mile prep-ride I had in mind that's for sure! LOL
Yes, see you there. I look forward to hearing your story. I suspect you are like most customers. Based upon your first ride or two you could have never imagined that it would be possible to be where you are on them, especially in such a "short" period of time.

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Fday said:
Yes, see you there. I look forward to hearing your story. I suspect you are like most customers. Based upon your first ride or two you could have never imagined that it would be possible to be where you are on them, especially in such a "short" period of time.
Speaking of short... After a few months on PC's I decided to stretch the legs a little and have a few good two minute intervals on some of the pan-flat roads around here. Not full on "last two minute of the race" deals but more of a "what could I do for 5 minutes at 85 to 90rpm" kinda effort.

I likey. I really do. But, for once, I'm going to keep quiet about what happened. ;)

The nice thing is, is that I've not been training for power and to be able to pull out an effort like this is nice. I've been concentrating my efforts on losing weight. Nothing more, nothing less. Most rides have been between 1 and 3 hours at about 65 to 80% of max HR. There's been a few steep hills, nothing lung busting, but enough to remind you about the task at hand and enough to make you want to think about puking in a bucket and force you to walk upstairs backwards if you decide to do an extra 45 minutes..... LOL

Fday

Dec 6, 2005
swampy1970 said:
Speaking of short... After a few months on PC's I decided to stretch the legs a little and have a few good two minute intervals on some of the pan-flat roads around here. Not full on "last two minute of the race" deals but more of a "what could I do for 5 minutes at 85 to 90rpm" kinda effort.

I likey. I really do. But, for once, I'm going to keep quiet about what happened. ;)

The nice thing is, is that I've not been training for power and to be able to pull out an effort like this is nice. I've been concentrating my efforts on losing weight. Nothing more, nothing less. Most rides have been between 1 and 3 hours at about 65 to 80% of max HR. There's been a few steep hills, nothing lung busting, but enough to remind you about the task at hand and enough to make you want to think about puking in a bucket and force you to walk upstairs backwards if you decide to do an extra 45 minutes..... LOL
Swampy,

This just in: just got some real power data from an elite cyclist (Marco Pinotti) on PowerCranks. No before and after data, unfortunately, but his normalized power on a 4' 20" breakaway in a stage race was 330 watts, which surprised him as to how high it was. Found in his blog entry on our site. Apparently done on a hilly course Anyhow, with death ride coming up thought you, and others, might find it interesting. He could do the 5 passes in the time many (including, probably, me) do 1.
icon7.gif

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Fday said:
Swampy,

This just in: just got some real power data from an elite cyclist (Marco Pinotti) on PowerCranks. No before and after data, unfortunately, but his normalized power on a 4' 20" breakaway in a stage race was 330 watts, which surprised him as to how high it was. Found in his blog entry on our site. Apparently done on a hilly course Anyhow, with death ride coming up thought you, and others, might find it interesting. He could do the 5 passes in the time many (including, probably, me) do 1.
icon7.gif
I've been reading the bloggs every once in a while but I love this entry

"After 8 weeks I reached a point where I could do a complete 3hr training without being death in the end. "

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
417 watts on a 20% grade is NOTHING like 417 watts on a flat road.

Get a powermeter and ride both senarios. You will understand what I mean.

Wattage is always higher on steep grades than on flats, given the same percieved effort. Ask anyone with a powermeter.

Fday

Dec 6, 2005
velomanct said:

Wattage is always higher on steep grades than on flats, given the same percieved effort. Ask anyone with a powermeter.
There are several reasons for that.

1. Most people will ride at a slower, more efficient (hence more powerful), cadence.

2. Most people are riding uphill not so concerned with aerodynamics so with a more open hip angle, which is more powerful.

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
velomanct said:

Great,

So now, after 15 years of heart rate monitor use and being accustomed to making minor adjustments based upon temperature, prior training etc etc as to what heart rate I should ride at when I get a power meter I now gotta figure out what uphill, downhill, flat (and variences thereof for winter/summer and grade %) power I should ride at!!! ;)

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
swampy1970 said:
Great,

So now, after 15 years of heart rate monitor use and being accustomed to making minor adjustments based upon temperature, prior training etc etc as to what heart rate I should ride at when I get a power meter I now gotta figure out what uphill, downhill, flat (and variences thereof for winter/summer and grade %) power I should ride at!!! ;)

Or you could just simply keep riding fun, less structerd and just ride hard and keep it varied.

I love how the powermeter community get so damn analytical about training. I bet you guys waste 7.6589 watts just thinking about all those numbers when you're out there. lol.

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
velomanct said:
Or you could just simply keep riding fun, less structerd and just ride hard and keep it varied.

I love how the powermeter community get so damn analytical about training. I bet you guys waste 7.6589 watts just thinking about all those numbers when you're out there. lol.
But when the only time you have to ride during the week is between 5am to 7am, which means riding on the trainer, then varied and fun don't enter into that equation. At the weekends riding time is dependant on how many teeball games you gotta go watch/coach.

If you just "ride hard and keep things varied" why did you get a powermeter? Does it go well with the Tag Heuer watch and Gucci manbag?:p

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
swampy1970 said:
But when the only time you have to ride during the week is between 5am to 7am, which means riding on the trainer, then varied and fun don't enter into that equation. At the weekends riding time is dependant on how many teeball games you gotta go watch/coach.

If you just "ride hard and keep things varied" why did you get a powermeter? Does it go well with the Tag Heuer watch and Gucci manbag?:p

Point is, don't complain about powermeters making things complicated. If you think that's happening, then you are letting it happen. Nobody tells you that you have to use a powermeter or heart rate monitor or anything. :cool:

I like powermeters, but there is a point where you can definitely get too caught up in them. Paralysis by analysis.

My number one goal with the bike is to have fun. That can involve a powermeter to an extent. I don't know what your goals are exactly. And yes, I have no teeball games to go to on the weekend, no commitments other than school for me :D

I actually haven't used a powermeter in a couple years, but plan on getting one again soon.