anatomic saddle for "undercarriage discomfort"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BullGod, Jun 12, 2008.

1. BullGod

BullGod New Member

The not often spoken about downside of 500kms a week in the saddle is a sore crotch, and some numbness, loss of sensitivity and "performance" ;-)

Let's say one is concerned about this and wishes to find a friendlier saddle.

I have seen several newer types opf saddle claiming to be anatomic, which specifically have the middle cut out.

Has anyone tried these? Any good?

I'm also finding that my saddle is quite soft, and this seems to make things worse, not better....would a hard (carbon) saddle be any better?

BG

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Look at SMP. We have had people trst these with nearly 100% buying after the test.

http://www.albabici.com
    is the distributor, we sell them. Click on the SMP saddle section.

http://www.vecchios.com

3. BullGod

BullGod New Member

4. Dietmar

Dietmar New Member

I like the Selle San Marco Aspide; generally, yes, the center cut-out is an excellent idea, IMHO.

Again, yes, a soft saddle is the worst you can do. Your saddle is supposed to support your weight at the area of the sitbones, only. If you have a soft saddle, you will "sink in", meaning a significant part of the weight is being carried by soft tissues, which are not meant for that purpose, as you found out...

So, generally, harder saddles are better, to some extent. Some people are perfectly happy with the carbon shells with no padding at all, but some find them too hard. Depends also on the quality of the roads you ride on. I would say give one of those a try, under realistic conditions, but otherwise the higher-end Selle San Marcos, or Selle Italias should be fine. Or, go to a good bike store and have them measure and recommend a good saddle for you.

5. knonfs

knonfs New Member

6. scirocco

scirocco New Member

I have a SMP (the Stratos), and I don't find it comfortable. It does a very good job of relieving pressure and numbness, but it is no different from every other saddle in that it is a complete lottery as to whether it suits YOU. It doesn't suit me.

I think cutouts are a great idea, but you are just as likely to find one for a fraction of the price of the SMP, like the Serfas Stinger, which will suit you just as well or better.

7. Fujiman

Fujiman New Member

I had a bout of prostatits last winter and switched to a Specialized Alias 143, they come in different widths to fit your sit bone width. So far I am very happy with it.
    First I tried the Specialized Toupe but it was a little hard for me.
    I watched Ebay and Craigslist and found a lightly used one for half the price of new, actually sold the Toupe for more than I paid.

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Anatomic might work for some, and it might not do a damned thing for others. Saddle position and the correct saddle shape for your ass are likely to be more important.

9. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

+1. The right saddle to be sure, and the right position may be even more important. The right saddle in the wrong position would be as uncomfortable as the wrong saddle in any position.

10. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Not sure what you mean by that. If ya got sleepy winky or some other issue, and this helps, it will be 'good for top level racing'.

11. Sikhandar

Sikhandar New Member

Amore & Vita - McDonald italian GS2 professional team is sponsored by SMP (they use strike evolution or composit models, not stratos 'cause it's too hard)

Ngc Medical-Otc DOors - italian GS2 pro' team too. Is it enough?

12. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Coming from the "old school" of San Marco Rolls and Regal saddles back in the 80's and 90's I find that the newer Specialized Toupe (team issue one) is surprisingly comfortable, even after 129 miles riding over 5 high mountain passes in California's Sierra Nevadas. It's pretty good on rough roads too - and I weigh in at 179lbs.... The saddle weighs in at about 180grams.

Combined with a Thompson Prestige seatpost the saddle and post weigh about the same as my old San Marco Regal saddle on it's own!

The Specialized Toupe comes in two widths. You gotta go to a Specialized dealer and sit on the "Ass-o-meter" to find out which width is best for you. I was very very sceptical - but it's been a damned fine saddle over the past 12 months.