Anatomic vs Traditional

El Loto

Jun 29, 2004
I know this subject has most certainly been covered in the forum but I am having no luck in finding it!

So here's my question: Anatomic or a Traditional curve in the handlebars?

Next year I plan to invest in some new bars and am wondering what riders who have used both setups feel with regards to each style.

Thanks.

I'm small with small hands, so you'd think the anatomic ones might be better for me, but I found them to be uncomfortable and actually harder to reach the brakes/shifters than tradtional bend ones. I found with the ergo bars in the drops the bar ends would dig into my forearms too. I'm sticking with traditional bars myself.

El Loto said:
I know this subject has most certainly been covered in the forum but I am having no luck in finding it!

So here's my question: Anatomic or a Traditional curve in the handlebars?

Next year I plan to invest in some new bars and am wondering what riders who have used both setups feel with regards to each style.

Thanks.
The trend seems to be that we're heading back to traditional...but some brands are releasing a compormise...Bontrager have a VR handlebar which is something like "variable radius". :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm fine with the anatomical design, but it depends on the shape...some fit nicely, some don't. The easy thing to do is go to the LBS and just try out the handlebars on all the display bikes...then you could buy the one that feels best.

go with whatever feels right. If you don't think its comfy, you will hate it.

bobbyOCR said:
go with whatever feels right. If you don't think its comfy, you will hate it.

+1.

Keep in mind that there is no standard anatomic bar or traditional bar. There are anatomics that have a flat spot on the drops....like Deda Newtons.....and there are anatomics with variable radii, like Zipp, Reynolds, and etc.

There's no telling what you'll like until you try some out.

I'd always go with anatomic. It's a more natural position for more of the riding time one does.

Some pro riders(and they know it all:eek: ) are heading back to trad. bars for sprinting but how long do most riders sprint for - if at all in some races?

Most time spent on the drops isn't sprinting.
Some sprinting time is spent on the seat too.

Bigbananabike said:
I'd always go with anatomic. It's a more natural position for more of the riding time one does.

Some pro riders(and they know it all:eek: ) are heading back to trad. bars for sprinting but how long do most riders sprint for - if at all in some races?

Most time spent on the drops isn't sprinting.
Some sprinting time is spent on the seat too.
What if those riders found the traditional drops comfortable when they weren't sprinting?

My 2 cents, as some people have already stated, try a variety out and find out what works for you.

I had four different bars fitted to my bike (much to my LBS's chagrin I'm sure! :D ) before I found "my" bars.

Not sure if their have been any studies to prove if one type is superior to another though.

I have FSA wing bars right now but I have to say I hate them. If I was to go with another anatomic it would be a bar were the holding section isn't completly sraight but curved in a little.