Anatomy of a bike crash

http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg

> BOOM!

Where is the anatomy or cause revealed? How hard was the tire
inflated, how much braking preceded the "BOOM!" and what did the curve
have to do with tire separation? Just the picture doesn't make the
incident something from which one might learn to avoid the same fate.

Jobst Brandt

On May 31, 3:50 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> High-speed descent, around a curve, and...
>
> http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg
>
> BOOM!
>
> Signed, Lefty (more than usual)

"Flying down a steep, curvy road today" as you said.

Probably riding your brakes, letting your rims overheat...and we
should assume that you had that tire pressure at or above the
recommended maximum.

Hey, you're not giving us anything more to go on--so I'm assuming it's
user error--maybe brush up on your descending and braking technique so
you don't do this again. You don't have to run max pressure--
especially up front, when riding big hills in the heat.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>
>> High-speed descent, around a curve, and...

> http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg
>
>> BOOM!

> Where is the anatomy or cause revealed? How hard was the tire
> inflated, how much braking preceded the "BOOM!" and what did the curve
> have to do with tire separation? Just the picture doesn't make the
> incident something from which one might learn to avoid the same fate.
>
> Jobst Brandt

cur·mudg·eon (kr-mjn)
n.
An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions

pk

PK wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>
>>> High-speed descent, around a curve, and...

>> http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg
>>
>>> BOOM!

>> Where is the anatomy or cause revealed? How hard was the tire
>> inflated, how much braking preceded the "BOOM!" and what did the
>> curve have to do with tire separation? Just the picture doesn't
>> make the incident something from which one might learn to avoid the
>> same fate. Jobst Brandt

> cur·mudg·eon (kr-mjn)
> n.
> An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions

I plonked ol' JB due to his too frequent political posts, but since he
asked...

The tire had a defect -- weakness between the bead and casing -- that
revealed itself at the worst possible time /because/ (I suspect) of the
forces involved in taking a high-speed curve. It was a right turn, so the
bead pulled away from the casing on the left side of the tire, allowing the
tube to poke through and explode. Inflation pressure was approximately 105
psi (front tire).

I didn't purport to offer a way to avoid such an incident, as indeed
material defects are by definition unknown until they fail. I'm surprised
that Brandt, of all people, would even ask such a question.

I'll let interested parties know if I avoid surgery on my right shoulder.
For now, I'm still in a lot of pain.

Bill S.

On Jun 1, 6:01 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> PK wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >>http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg

> >> Where is the anatomy or cause revealed?  How hard was the tire
> >> inflated, how much braking preceded the "BOOM!" and what did the
> >> curve have to do with tire separation?  Just the picture doesn't
> >> make the incident something from which one might learn to avoid the
> >> same fate. Jobst Brandt

> > cur·mudg·eon (kr-mjn)
> > n.
> > An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions

> I plonked ol' JB due to his too frequent political posts, but since he
> asked...
>
> The tire had a defect -- weakness between the bead and casing -- that
> revealed itself at the worst possible time /because/ (I suspect) of the
> forces involved in taking a high-speed curve.

*THIS* is eight inches. Hahahahahahahaha!

What a WHOPPER! You're a forensic tire expert now. You and Colin
Powell should get together for a big game of ********.

105 psi, down a screaming descent, in the heat, riding the brakes...

[email protected] wrote:
> On May 31, 3:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>> High-speed descent, around a curve, and...

>> http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg
>>
>>> BOOM!

>> Where is the anatomy or cause revealed?

> Possibly caused by faulty brake pad adjustment, repeated rubbing of
> pad on tire in that spot. Also possibly caused by using Continental
> tires.

As usual, you're wrong on every count. Shades of your "oil supply & demand"
theories.

On May 31, 4:50 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> High-speed descent, around a curve, and...
>
> http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg
>
> BOOM!
>
> Signed, Lefty (more than usual)

Hi.

Three years ago I had a rear tyre failure that looked almost identical
except the tube did not explode it just went flat and stayed on the
rim. The cause was a very slight upward tilt of the leading edge of
the V-brake pad. It was *BARELY* touching the tyre. *BUT*, that *WAS*
enough for it to wear through the tyre sidewall on an 80 km/hr descent
even though the brakes were only being applied intermittently and
lightly to modulate the speed. The tyres were IRC 1.5 inches x 26
inches mtb slicks.

Check brake pads frequently because as they wear their upper edge can
come in contact with the tyre bead and cause this kind of failure. Or
they can become slightly out of allignment and give the same result.

I hope you make a full recovery.

Peter

On Jun 2, 3:07 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:

> >> http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Tire & Tube 2.jpg

> >> Where is the anatomy or cause revealed?

> > Possibly caused by faulty brake pad adjustment, repeated rubbing of
> > pad on tire in that spot. Also possibly caused by using Continental
> > tires.

> As usual, you're wrong on every count. Shades of your "oil supply & demand"
> theories.

As usual, you're a complete retard.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 2, 3:07 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> Possibly caused by faulty brake pad adjustment, repeated rubbing of
>>> pad on tire in that spot. Also possibly caused by using Continental
>>> tires.

>> As usual, you're wrong on every count. Shades of your "oil supply &
>> demand" theories.

> As usual, you're a complete retard.

Well, it wasn't caused by my brake pad (not a mark on the tire anywhere) AND
it's not a Continental. (Hint: I identified the make and model in my
initial post about the crash.)

In fairness, noting your caveat of using "possibly" not once but twice, I
should have said that it's possible you're COMPLETELY wrong on every count.
(As for your understanding of oil and energy and exploration and drilling,
Sandy pretty much cleaned your clock repeatedly.) You're just clueless.

As usual.

BS