Ancient 5-speed freehub?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Werehatrack, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    While doing a refurb of a 10-speed department store bike with a
    Shimano Positron shifter setup, I was surprised to discover that the
    steel rear hub didn't have a freewheel. It's got a freehub with five
    sprockets. Apparently, the freehub went low-end a lot earlier (and
    perhaps more briefly!) than I had previously understood. The hub has
    room for 6 sprockets, but Shimano mounted just 5. This is the first
    time I've run across such a setup.

    I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but I'll post a photo next week if
    anyone is interested.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:

    > While doing a refurb of a 10-speed department store bike with a
    > Shimano Positron shifter setup, I was surprised to discover that the
    > steel rear hub didn't have a freewheel. It's got a freehub with five
    > sprockets. Apparently, the freehub went low-end a lot earlier (and
    > perhaps more briefly!) than I had previously understood. The hub has
    > room for 6 sprockets, but Shimano mounted just 5. This is the first
    > time I've run across such a setup.
    >
    > I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but I'll post a photo next week if
    > anyone is interested.

    Right. There were even competing brands (DNP, Chiorda) of
    steel hub cassette systems on BSOs of the early seventies

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org