and another one

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lardy Ninja, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Lardy Ninja

    Lardy Ninja Guest

    Tags:

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    lardy ninja wrote:
    > NB He was banned from driving for life; for driving while disqualified, not for the fact that he
    > killed two people.

    On the plus side, at least he was put away for manslaughter.

    I can't help thinking it seems a bit futile to ban someone from driving for driving while banned :-/

    Thomas Paine

  3. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, lardy ninja
    <[email protected]> writes
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2714433.stm
    >
    >NB He was banned from driving for life; for driving while disqualified, not for the fact that he
    > killed two people.

    Eh? Not wishing to seem to be a car apologist, but in the URL it says

    He was jailed for eight years on each count of manslaughter, the sentences to run concurrently.

    Unless the story has been re-written since you posted.

    Graham
    --
    Graham Glen

  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Graham Glen wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, lardy ninja
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2714433.stm
    >>
    >> NB He was banned from driving for life; for driving while disqualified, not for the fact that he
    >> killed two people.
    >>
    > Eh? Not wishing to seem to be a car apologist, but in the URL it says
    >
    > He was jailed for eight years on each count of manslaughter, the sentences to run concurrently.

    But the lifetime driving ban is for driving while disqualified. I guess when he gets out, drives
    while disqualified and has another crash, he'll get a double ban with bells on.

    James

  5. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, James Annan <[email protected]> writes
    >Graham Glen wrote:
    >> In message <[email protected]>, lardy ninja
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2714433.stm
    >>>
    >>> NB He was banned from driving for life; for driving while disqualified, not for the fact that he
    >>> killed two people.
    >>>
    >> Eh? Not wishing to seem to be a car apologist, but in the URL it says He was jailed for eight
    >> years on each count of manslaughter, the sentences to run concurrently.
    >
    >But the lifetime driving ban is for driving while disqualified.

    Does it really matter why he was banned?

    He was convicted if manslaughter,, maybe you can't be banned from driving for that offence (since
    you can cause manslaughter in many ways). Hence being charged with and convicted of the driving
    while disqualified offence

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > lardy ninja wrote:
    > > NB He was banned from driving for life; for driving while disqualified, not for the fact that he
    > > killed two people.
    >
    > On the plus side, at least he was put away for manslaughter.
    >
    > I can't help thinking it seems a bit futile to ban someone from driving for driving while
    > banned :-/

    I would have thought driving while banned was a clear case of contempt of court -- at which point
    can't the judge can pretty much make up the sentance? Certainly worth a bang to rights and throw
    away the key!!

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:43:02 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> On the plus side, at least he was put away for manslaughter.

    >I would have thought driving while banned was a clear case of contempt of court -- at which point
    >can't the judge can pretty much make up the sentance? Certainly worth a bang to rights and throw
    >away the key!!

    The "advantage" of a manslaughter charge in this case, AIUI, is that under the Rehabilitation of
    Offenders Act it will never become a spent conviction.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 08:11:29 +0900, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But the lifetime driving ban is for driving while disqualified. I guess when he gets out, drives
    >while disqualified and has another crash, he'll get a double ban with bells on.

    Just so. And he had his children in the car with him! Cut his goolies off. Retrospectively if
    possible. He doesn't deserve to have children. He is a selfish pile of ordure who is not fit to be
    part of a civilised society.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, James Annan <[email protected]> writes
    >Graham Glen wrote:
    >> In message <[email protected]>, lardy ninja
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2714433.stm
    >>>
    >>> NB He was banned from driving for life; for driving while disqualified, not for the fact that he
    >>> killed two people.
    >>>
    >> Eh? Not wishing to seem to be a car apologist, but in the URL it says He was jailed for eight
    >> years on each count of manslaughter, the sentences to run concurrently.
    >
    >But the lifetime driving ban is for driving while disqualified. I guess when he gets out, drives
    >while disqualified and has another crash, he'll get a double ban with bells on.

    Sorry, didn't have my reading head on. Comes from cycling home from the pub I suppose.

    Graham
    --
    Graham Glen

  10. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    chris French wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, James Annan <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >> Graham Glen wrote:
    >>
    >>> In message <[email protected]>, lardy ninja <[email protected]>
    >>> writes

    >>> Eh? Not wishing to seem to be a car apologist, but in the URL it says He was jailed for eight
    >>> years on each count of manslaughter, the sentences to run concurrently.
    >>

    >> But the lifetime driving ban is for driving while disqualified.
    >

    > Does it really matter why he was banned?

    Yes. The objectionable point is that he doesn't get banned for killing people, but for the
    essentially technical offence of driving while disqualified. And since he alrady ignored the first
    ban, the second one seems rather futile.

    James