And now for something completely different

wackydeirdre

Mar 12, 2005
This is a cycling yet non cycling thread. (Sorry Mellic) I am curious to know if anyone has had this experience. I'm 42 and divorced for 8 years. I recently have lost so much weight thanks very much in part to my bike that I now could pass for 32. I went down in clothing size from a 22 to a 4 slim. Strangely, the moms of my boys friends (with some exceptions) no are longer as friendly as they once were. What's up with that? Does a divorcee who is now slim, toned, pretty and youthfull in appearance = man candy or a ****?

wackydeirdre said:
This is a cycling yet non cycling thread. (Sorry Mellic) I am curious to know if anyone has had this experience. I'm 42 and divorced for 8 years. I recently have lost so much weight thanks very much in part to my bike that I now could pass for 32. I went down in clothing size from a 22 to a 4 slim. Strangely, the moms of my boys friends (with some exceptions) no are longer as friendly as they once were. What's up with that? Does a divorcee who is now slim, toned, pretty and youthfull in appearance = man candy or a ****?

My guess is sub-consciously (in the minds of the other mom's) you are now serious competition and a potential threat to their own security.

Ruedy said:
My guess is sub-consciously (in the minds of the other mom's) you are now serious competition and a potential threat to their own security.
You could be right there. I've also noticed the husbands seeming a bit uneasy around me. Thanks!
PS where are all the single studs my age?

lumpy said:
I don't know, but if I were single I'd be looking for you!
:D
Thanks lumpy! I'll keep that in mind when I start to feel a bit down about that.;)
One thing though, you aren't single which brings me back to my original question: who the heck is and where are they?:confused:

I lost a lot, 140kg down to 75now, did make 65 for a bit, yes you do loose the friends. You are perceived to be a threat to the married ones. You may need to move in new circles, try a new gym, church, cycling group etc... Holiday in OZ? :D Oh yes, i'm single..

gclark8 said:
I lost a lot, 140kg down to 75now, did make 65 for a bit, yes you do loose the friends. You are perceived to be a threat to the married ones. You may need to move in new circles, try a new gym, church, cycling group etc... Holiday in OZ? :D Oh yes, i'm single..
How sad you live in Australia George. Thanks for letting me know it isn't just me. Got to get into a cycling group - fast! I don't like the "she's not as good as us anymore" looks I'm getting. Especially when I'm feeling so good about myself.

wackydeirdre said:
Thanks lumpy! I'll keep that in mind when I start to feel a bit down about that.;)
One thing though, you aren't single which brings me back to my original question: who the heck is and where are they?:confused:

I'd try posting on Craigslist.org for a male cycling buddy. Also you might find a catch at a clubs group ride - that would be a target rich environment! Any guy who doesn't want to ride with you is a dope!

FYI, I met my wife at a gym - we were next to each other on stairmasters!

lumpy said:
I'd try posting on Craigslist.org for a male cycling buddy. Also you might find a catch at a clubs group ride - that would be a target rich environment! Any guy who doesn't want to ride with you is a dope!

FYI, I met my wife at a gym - we were next to each other on stairmasters!
Thanks Lumpy, I'm getting in a group but have to find one that at least has meetings during winter.

I was asking the question of the little guy with the sign, he seemed to know all about me... :D

I'm still single, still over 50, still 75kg, still in Aus.. :cool:

gclark8 said:
I was asking the question of the little guy with the sign, he seemed to know all about me... :D

I'm still single, still over 50, still 75kg, still in Aus.. :cool:
That's funny! I was wondering where that guy came from.

That's really bad Wackydeidre. Hmm i can only hope that i would never do that to someone else when/if i get married. U have to wonder what security a marriage has if it is threatened purely by the presence of a goodlooking other...Having said that well i guess such a dramatic change in ur appearance would take some getting used to, ppl might need some time to realise that you are still the same person. Well maybe you should just continue being yourself even if they are weird and then maybe they'll snap out of it. If not, well you've done what you can do. I was thinking of suggesting explicit discussion eg saying to them "i've noticed u've been uneasy around me now i've lost weight. Just wanted to assure you that i'm not out to get ur man!" LOL I think that would go down like a lead balloon. Teehee. I guess you could do it in more subtle ways though like by dressing nicely but not dressing to attract attention and by just not getting involved with the politics. I bet they are just jealous cos they want to get into cycling too. Funny how everyone( including me!) wants to be goodlooking given all the trouble it causes
icon10.gif
. Hope all works out

bikelet said:
That's really bad Wackydeidre. Hmm i can only hope that i would never do that to someone else when/if i get married. U have to wonder what security a marriage has if it is threatened purely by the presence of a goodlooking other...Having said that well i guess such a dramatic change in ur appearance would take some getting used to, ppl might need some time to realise that you are still the same person. Well maybe you should just continue being yourself even if they are weird and then maybe they'll snap out of it. If not, well you've done what you can do. I was thinking of suggesting explicit discussion eg saying to them "i've noticed u've been uneasy around me now i've lost weight. Just wanted to assure you that i'm not out to get ur man!" LOL I think that would go down like a lead balloon. Teehee. I guess you could do it in more subtle ways though like by dressing nicely but not dressing to attract attention and by just not getting involved with the politics. I bet they are just jealous cos they want to get into cycling too. Funny how everyone( including me!) wants to be goodlooking given all the trouble it causeshttp://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif. Hope all works out
I wouldn't even give the satisfaction of acknowledging I have noticed such behavior. I got similar treatment from several people when I initially was divorced, as if I weren't feeling insecure enough at the time to begin with. I'm still friends with the people who mater. It's one of those tests that make you realize who your real friends are I suppose. I never really considered the people who are now wierded out friends. It was more like I had friendly discussions with them. As far as my attire is concerned, I don't dress in come and get me clothes and can only think of one person I will dress to impress. I'll see him tomorrow.:) As far as jealousy goes, there is no need for it, all they need do is hop on a bike. I'm fine, and nobody will make me feel bad for looking good. It was a lot of hard work. Really the people who need work on themselves are the others.
Thanks for your response.