and sponsored by.....

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Christopher Jor, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. I thought Corbin went bankrupt less than a year ago, then this morning I hear about that big
    motorcycle show in Hollister, CA., July 4th: sponsored by Corbin. Is that company still operating? I
    never saw the Merlin.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    Tags:

  2. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003

  3. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    (Sorry about the blank post. I hit the wrong key.)

    I think maybe Corbin _motors_ went broke, but I think the seat business is seperate. Burley's still have corbin seat bases.

    John Riley

  4. I thought Corbin Motors was a father & son operation, with the father retaining the original
    (upolstery) business as a seperate entity. If I was the father and my son came to me and said...Gee
    Dad I have this really good idea, how about I design a Clown Car and slap a Harley Davidson engine
    in it and for another model I fill it with 12 12V batteries and slap an electric motor in it. As the
    father I would most certainly seperate my upolstery business from my wacko son.
    ------------------------
    "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Sorry about the blank post. I hit the wrong key.)
    >
    > I think maybe Corbin _motors_ went broke, but I think the seat business is seperate. Burley's
    > still have corbin seat bases.
    >
    > John Riley

  5. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    I must admit my own wacko son sold his half ownership of his Corbin Sparrow last year. Not that
    there was anything wrong with driving a single-person purple cartoon around the Bay area.

    C.C.

    > From: "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> Organization: Bell Sympatico Newsgroups:
    > alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:47:16 -0400 Subject: Re: and sponsored by.....
    >
    > I thought Corbin Motors was a father & son operation, with the father retaining the original
    > (upolstery) business as a seperate entity. If I was the father and my son came to me and
    > said...Gee Dad I have this really good idea, how about I design a Clown Car and slap a Harley
    > Davidson engine in it and for another model I fill it with 12 12V batteries and slap an
    > electric motor in it. As the father I would most certainly seperate my upolstery business from
    > my wacko son.
    > ------------------------
    > "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> (Sorry about the blank post. I hit the wrong key.)
    >>
    >> I think maybe Corbin _motors_ went broke, but I think the seat business is seperate. Burley's
    >> still have corbin seat bases.
    >>
    >> John Riley
    >>

    >> --

  6. PreciousBbird

    PreciousBbird New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003
    Hmmm - I like purple... I would like to see a pic of the monstrosity.

    PS - I do have a Corbin seat on my Burley HepCat. No bent buns yet!

  7. The Corbin "Sparrow" was the kind of car only a SHRINER could fully appreciate except there was not
    enough room for their size 48 clown shoes.
    ***********************
    "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Carol Cohen wrote:
    > > I must admit my own wacko son sold his half ownership of his Corbin Sparrow last year. Not
    > > that there was anything wrong with driving a single-person purple cartoon around the Bay area.
    >

    > Hmmm - I like purple... I would like to see a pic of the monstrosity.
    >
    > PS - I do have a Corbin seat on my Burley HepCat. No bent buns yet!

  8. When your son was test riding recumbents here about a year ago he let me test drive his Sparrow. I
    took it out to the business park at Bay Farm Island and got it up to an indicated 55 mph. Driving
    around town in Alameda it got about as many looks as I do riding my trikes so I was used to that
    aspect. The Sparrow had a very velomobile like feel to it. For a motor vehicle though the one person
    capacity and very limited cargo capacity and range seemed impractical. I've driven a couple other
    electric vehicles that had much higher cargo and passenger capacities and seemed more like real
    cars. I'm glad your son was able to sell his interest in the Sparrow, hopefully before having to
    make an expensive investment in replacement batteries.

    Zach Kaplan

    Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BB2704CE.4E2B0%[email protected]>...
    > I must admit my own wacko son sold his half ownership of his Corbin Sparrow last year. Not that
    > there was anything wrong with driving a single-person purple cartoon around the Bay area.
    >
    > C.C.
    >
    > > From: "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> Organization: Bell Sympatico Newsgroups:
    > > alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:47:16 -0400 Subject: Re: and sponsored
    > > by.....
    > >
    > > I thought Corbin Motors was a father & son operation, with the father retaining the original
    > > (upolstery) business as a seperate entity. If I was the father and my son came to me and
    > > said...Gee Dad I have this really good idea, how about I design a Clown Car and slap a Harley
    > > Davidson engine in it and for another model I fill it with 12 12V batteries and slap an
    > > electric motor in it. As the father I would most certainly seperate my upolstery business from
    > > my wacko son.
    > > ------------------------
    > > "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> (Sorry about the blank post. I hit the wrong key.)
    > >>
    > >> I think maybe Corbin _motors_ went broke, but I think the seat business is seperate. Burley's
    > >> still have corbin seat bases.
    > >>
    > >> John Riley
    > >>

    > >> --

  9. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Carol Cohen wrote:
    > > I must admit my own wacko son sold his half ownership of his Corbin Sparrow last year. Not
    > > that there was anything wrong with driving a single-person purple cartoon around the Bay area.
    >

    > Hmmm - I like purple... I would like to see a pic of the monstrosity.

    It's not much of a monster, but here's a photo of one that's in the world renowned micro car museum.

    http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/corbin-sparrow.html

    skip

  10. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

    > "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Carol Cohen wrote:
    > > > I must admit my own wacko son sold his half ownership of his Corbin Sparrow last year. Not
    > > > that there was anything wrong with driving a single-person purple cartoon around the Bay
    > > > area.
    > >

    > > Hmmm - I like purple... I would like to see a pic of the monstrosity.
    >
    > It's not much of a monster, but here's a photo of one that's in the world renowned micro
    > car museum.
    >
    > http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/corbin-sparrow.html
    >
    > skip

    While you are at the micro car museum be sure to check out the 1953 Velo Car.

    http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/velo-velocar.html

  11. I looked over one at the Rochester NY hamfest early last month. What a neat vehicle, but I can't
    imagine commuting in highway rushour traffic. My question is does anyone know what the dimples in
    the fenders are for? My best guess is it was some sort of areodynamic tweek. They remined me of
    dimples on golf balls except lots fewer and much bigger. The car was for sale for only $9,000. I'll
    have to admit I'd never seen one in a Hamfest Fleamarket before. Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not
    broken" www.recumbentstuff.com

    "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Sorry about the blank post. I hit the wrong key.)
    >
    > I think maybe Corbin _motors_ went broke, but I think the seat business is seperate. Burley's
    > still have corbin seat bases.
    >
    > John Riley

  12. Don

    Don Guest

  13. "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > It's not much of a monster, but here's a photo of one that's in the world renowned micro
    > car museum.
    >
    > http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/corbin-sparrow.html
    >
    > skip

    What a hoot! I missed that museum on previous searches. Thanks Skip! A truly enjoyable visit for me.
    That was more complete than www.3-wheelers.com A to Z tour, I believe.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  14. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > It's not much of a monster, but here's a photo of one that's in the
    world
    > > renowned micro car museum.
    > >
    > > http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/corbin-sparrow.html
    > >
    > > skip
    >
    > What a hoot! I missed that museum on previous searches. Thanks Skip! A truly enjoyable visit for
    > me. That was more complete than www.3-wheelers.com A to Z tour, I believe.

    Another really cool site. I *love* the Lomax 223 especially in BRG (British Racing Green).

    skip