...and the 1st positive drug test at the Olympics goes to....

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
a CYCLIST....!!!!!!!!!!!

woooo hooooo!!!! We really know how to do it... makes you so proud...

Reactions: haleylx4
::dom:: said:
a CYCLIST....!!!!!!!!!!!........woooo hooooo!!!! We really know how to do it... makes you so proud...

But what does that positive mean? According to Donald Berry, it's possible that cyclist might be doping, and it's also possible that test was done wrong and or interpreted wrong.....and there are more possibilities. Nature doesn't let any Joe Shmoe give commentary, and it's the one journal in which nearly every scientist fantasizes about being published. Of course Don is using fact and logic in his commentary, so that will ******** the foaming at the mouth doping vigilantes who can't wrap their pea brains around doing something correctly to root out doping violations. Facts and logic just ain't in their vocabulary, and besides, facts and logic just get in the way when you're itchin' to see heads roll.

Does it really matter. I've had so many cycling "heros" since I was a kid and just about every one has been banned at some stage.

I really wanted to believe Landis. Could anyone be dumb enough to take a banned substance and win a stage knowing full well you'll be tested... maybe he did, maybe he didn't... I don't know.

They all scream "I'm innocent"... but you can't believe any cyclist... the only one I believe didn't even get tested... at least he had the guts to put his hands up and admit he'd dopped. Good on you David Millar.

Our sport is the laughing stock... no one outside the sport takes cycling seriously.. and why should they... and then we cap it off at the Olympics by being the first positive... Suuur-prize!

Ahhh... I feel better now.... pass the epitestosterone... I have a 7km commute in the morning :)

::dom:: said:
Does it really matter. I've had so many cycling "heros" since I was a kid and just about every one has been banned at some stage.

I really wanted to believe Landis. Could anyone be dumb enough to take a banned substance and win a stage knowing full well you'll be tested... maybe he did, maybe he didn't... I don't know.

They all scream "I'm innocent"... but you can't believe any cyclist... the only one I believe didn't even get tested... at least he had the guts to put his hands up and admit he'd dopped. Good on you David Millar.

Our sport is the laughing stock... no one outside the sport takes cycling seriously.. and why should they... and then we cap it off at the Olympics by being the first positive... Suuur-prize!

Ahhh... I feel better now.... pass the epitestosterone... I have a 7km commute in the morning :)
Come on dom. Millar always denied doping. Until the police found used Epogen syringes in a search of his home. It was a bit hard for him not to confess at that point. I don't see it as particularly valiant. They had more of a smoking gun than if he had have tested positive.

alienator said:
But what does that positive mean? According to Donald Berry, it's possible that cyclist might be doping, and it's also possible that test was done wrong and or interpreted wrong.....and there are more possibilities. Nature doesn't let any Joe Shmoe give commentary, and it's the one journal in which nearly every scientist fantasizes about being published. Of course Don is using fact and logic in his commentary, so that will ******** the foaming at the mouth doping vigilantes who can't wrap their pea brains around doing something correctly to root out doping violations. Facts and logic just ain't in their vocabulary, and besides, facts and logic just get in the way when you're itchin' to see heads roll.
I didn't find that much in the article. He takes a lack of data (provided by WADA and the labs) as meaning they don't have any specificity and sensitivity data. I see it more as them wanting to keep the incidence of doping in the peloton to themselves, which the data would reveal. This guy doesn't say much new. One of the most common applications of Bayes Theorem is in the calculation of probabilities of false positives in drug testing. His implication that these drug labs are unaware of this science is naive IMO. Most of the theory he makes regarding Bayes Theorem and drug testing... I made in a post earlier in the year in this thread (post #15).

I was quite surprised at the lack of data and analysis in his "paper". It certainly didn't look like an in depth scientific submission to me. Not that I am an expert though. It was almost like a general magazine article. I take his point that the drug-testing process needs to be streamlined and made as robust as possible. But there is little "evidence" in his article that it isn't. In fact when he suggests that they should ignore the IRMS test results in the Floyd case due to them throwing out the T/E screen test results... his true colors/motivations are shown IMO. The argument he makes is similar to the hypothetical case where the police find contraband on a search of a suspect's home... and the suspect argues that the incriminating evidence should be discarded because there was a technical infraction in obtaining the search warrant.

Crankyfeet said:
Come on dom. Millar always denied doping. Until the police found used Epogen syringes in a search of his home. It was a bit hard for him not to confess at that point. I don't see it as particularly valiant. They had more of a smoking gun than if he had have tested positive.
I totally agree with you you. And he was always a bit of a whiner but a read a very frank interview with him and believe that he's now clean... until he's caught again, of course :p

Funny but seems kind of dumb. It's like for what purpose. Lance the famous steroid user he was like an advertisement for cyclists to use steroids. You don't need it to be one. Eat better and eat the carbs. They don't eat enough so they think let me take this it will work. It's just dumb. Who said no one takes cycling seriously? I don't know about that. I think every sport has lovers and haters. It certainly is a serious sport. I mean you have to be in great shape and train well to race. If that is not a serious sport I don't know what is. You certainly have to know what you are doing. I would love to see someone who thinks it isn't a serious sport, race then see what they say.

Dear god, please make it stop. This **** stopped being funny now. They don't eat enough. Methamphetamine is used to treat ADHD. Steroid users will get the same performance enhancement from eating more carbs.