And they're off! GVBR

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by alison_b, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    It seems like only yesterday my littlest was still trying to reach the pedals on her tricycle... then teetering along and picking herself up from the ground when she tipped off her new 'two wheeler'... now she's off on the GVBR with a group of mates! :eek:

    (Gawd, I'm getting old!!!)

    I must say, it was a *very* orderly start this morning - nothing like the chaos of last year. Bikes and luggage and people stowed on trucks and buses with a minimum of fuss and no need to drag things back and forth following obscure and misleading clues :) BV really had it working well this morning!

    ali

    Tags:

  2. Dancier

    Dancier New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    The thing I am most amazed about is the number of riders travelling down one road at a time. At least with the ATB ride, people were coming from different directions which still made it conjested, so for me it would be an early start every day to miss the rush if that's possible.

  3. On 2005-11-26, alison_b <[email protected]> wrote:
    > It seems like only yesterday my littlest was still trying to reach the
    > pedals on her tricycle... then teetering along and picking herself up
    > from the ground when she tipped off her new 'two wheeler'... now she's
    > off on the GVBR with a group of mates! :eek:

    Heh, Good luck to her. (If it's not a rude question, how old is she?
    Just curious, is all.)

    > I must say, it was a *very* orderly start this morning - nothing like
    > the chaos of last year. Bikes and luggage and people stowed on trucks
    > and buses with a minimum of fuss and no need to drag things back and
    > forth following obscure and misleading clues :) BV really had it
    > working well this morning!

    *stunned silence*

    Any idea how many people are on the ride this year? I'm wondering if
    numbers are significantly down after what I see as a monumental cluck up
    by BV with too many people on board.

  4. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005

  5. On 2005-11-26, alison_b <[email protected]> wrote:
    > And yeah, there were a *lot* of difficulties last year - I took a
    > couple of my kids along. But the biggest problem for me last year was
    > not BV organisation (or, something masquerading as organistaion!) but
    > pissed off co-riders who thought that because they were inconvenienced
    > by having to pedal harder than they expected this gave them some
    > 'right' to leave a bunch of peoples' bags uncovered in the rain.

    I have to admit I never had a problem with that; maybe I managed to get
    in before those people, or maybe I was just lucky.

    > Oh, and the people walking up the hill who decided they would walk 4
    > abreast if they wanted because they weren't enjoying themselves.:mad:

    That's just stupidity. With enough people, you'll get plenty of that,
    alas.

    > Oh, and there was the time that I left one kid waiting for the sag
    > wagon because she was actually *sick* and racing off to find my
    > youngest 'somewhere ahead' to find out later that being sick didn't
    > give her priority over people who had just decided they'd pedalled far
    > enough that day and it was too hot to bother. That seemed a tad
    > screwed.

    You can lay the blame for that, at least partially, on BV; there seemed
    to be a lot of people who didn't know what to expect, or who didn't know
    how fit they needed to be (moderately), and the blame for that comes
    down to communication -- which was what I felt BV was most sorely
    lacking.

    > I think there are only (only?) about 4000 or so this year, which will
    > make the whole process much easier I guess.

    At about 4000, I expect BV to be able to cope. At double that, which is
    what I think it was last year? No way in hell. But in any event, it's a
    moot point for me; I got burnt by BV, and doubt I'll return for a
    seventh.

  6. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    hope Tara Moss makes it through safely...... but she is going to be popular on the ride with many of the male riders.... and possibly female..... :)

  7. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-11-26, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
    > hope Tara Moss makes it through safely...... but she is going to be
    > popular on the ride with many of the male riders.... and possibly
    > female..... :)

    She riding again?

    I didn't know who she was when I started last year.

    I was ridden past by her, on one of the latter days, along with her 40
    school children singer out a kind of waltz "music", and ringing their
    bells.

    --
    TimC
    You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull

  8. On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:27:38 +1100, alison_b wrote:

    > I must say, it was a *very* orderly start this morning - nothing like
    > the chaos of last year. Bikes and luggage and people stowed on trucks
    > and buses with a minimum of fuss and no need to drag things back and
    > forth following obscure and misleading clues :) BV really had it
    > working well this morning!

    I was interested in this ride last year, but I've since heard that a
    typical day for a decent cyclist involves getting out on the road early
    to avoid the crush, finishing the day's stint at about 9:30am and
    spending the rest of the day hanging around pubs and generally trying]
    to kill time. No thanks.

  9. On 2005-11-26, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I was interested in this ride last year, but I've since heard that a
    > typical day for a decent cyclist involves getting out on the road early
    > to avoid the crush, finishing the day's stint at about 9:30am and
    > spending the rest of the day hanging around pubs and generally trying]
    > to kill time. No thanks.

    Depends on how quickly you ride. For me, a typical day involves getting
    up around o'dark thirty, getting dressed in cycling gear, packing up the
    tent and suchlike, getting the tent and suchlike on the luggage truck,
    getting breakfast (all in that order), and then hitting the road --
    usually around about 7am. I usually got into the camp at the end of the
    day's ride anywhere between 10am and 3pm, depending on distance and
    number of uphills.

    But yes, "killing time" is not an inaccurate summation of the rest of
    the time. I'd often try to find the local library, and was often
    disappointed when it closed at midday, leaving me with very little to do
    for the afternoon.