And with one swipe of my credit card....

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Duckwah, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

Damn bike shops full of expensive goodies!!

Today i went out looking to HIRE a Mountain bike for the weekend and somehow ended up BUYING one instead:rolleyes:

*sigh* Damn expensive hobbies, normally i try and justify the cost of new gear but i'm not even going to try this time cause i know i shouldn't have spent the money

does anyone have the number for Gadget weenies anonymous?

Tags:

2. ewep

ewep New Member

Hehehehe, my wife even went further, she took away my credit. Now there's no more "naughty" spending. Oh, how I miss thou piece of plastic. :D :D :D

3. rek

rek New Member

Hehe.. I know the feeling. I am *this* close to buying a secondhand Cannondale Jekyll MTB. I predict that if I buy it this weekend, I'll be about $50 short of going over my credit limit, at least until payday mid next week.

"But oh, it's such a great deal, I NEED THIS NOW, a deal like this might never come up again!" I say to myself.

And then the gadget weenie in my comes into play, "oh I need another speed sensor, no wait, I might get a POWER sensor for my roadie and i'll put its old sensor on my new toy .. and I'll need a new frame pump, and new shoes, new lights, another seat bag ..." :rolleyes:

I try to justify it to myself by saying it's so much cheaper than having cars as a hobby :p

4. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

yeah i wish i had someone to do that for me but i'm single and my training partner has been making be think naughty things about buying new bike bits

i had a close encounter with a set of Ksyriums the other day and only just managed to escape without them. And now i've blown it again by buying a whole new bike

on top of that i've just realised i can't find my old MTB shoes and will have to buy new ones today so i can ride tomorrow

5. rek

rek New Member

If you think you're bad, read about these guys:

http://www.nsxfiles.com/escalation.htm

Actually the whole www.nsxfiles.com site is great. It's about two guys who get hooked, and I mean HOOKED, on motorsport, and spend vast amounts of money in the process.

They call it the "Go-Fast Crack Pipe" :D

6. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

yeah i'd use the excuse of not having other expensive hobbies but i've got a laundry list of them

for example, i've got a pretty new car which "needs" new alloy wheels a fat stereo and a turbo

I've also got a bunch of nice camera gear and i hear a pro lense or two calling my name.

hmm what else, oh yeah when my MTB got knicked last year they took my skis so i need new skis as well

oh dear now i'm starting to feel sick again

7. Leon

Leon New Member

Mmmm I also had a bout of impulsive mountian bike buying syndrome (IMBBS has a nice sound to it) about two weeks ago. I have ordered the bike and payed for it but it is still another 2 weeks before it arrrives !

Will post a piccie when it arrives.

By the way what did you buy ?

Leon

8. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

Ok well i went for a ride today and feel a lot better about spending the money cause i had forgotten what awesome fun it was

I bought a Merida Matts Speed Disc, hardtail with Deore/LX bits, Magura hydraulic brakes (very important for weighty individuals like me) and Suntour SR Forks

I don't know too much about the forks cause it was an impulse buy but they seemed to handle the thrashing i gave them today

Also bought some new shoes :D

9. rek

rek New Member

Duckwah,

A nice bike you picked up there .. I haven't heard much about Suntour forks and such either.

The Jekyll I was looking at has already been sold .. my credit balance lives to fight another day :p The Pandora's Box has been opened now though, it's only a matter of time ...

10. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

yeah it seems to be alright, can't wait till easter weekend when i've got a three day trip to the blue mountains to go riding

11. Super Mario

Super Mario New Member

I curse those little pieces of plastic! I have two cards which are nearly reaching maximum limit. All the purchases on the things have gone on cycling bits and pieces, 3 bikes and everything cycling.

I have tried to justify the purchases by getting a few good results during racing! Then because of the good results during racing, I need more cycling equipment to make me get better!

I call it Road Rider Spending Sydnrome (RRSS), and there is no known cure.

Cycling causes addiction (It is a very enjoyable addiction), but be warned!

I think when you buy a bike, instead of getting the warning about using a helmet, we should be warned about how much money we are going to put into the bike!

:D :D :D :D

12. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

Super Mario i hear yah mate!

Stickers on bikes should read

WARNING buying this bike may mean you sleep alone tonight

or

WARNING Spending money on bike related items can be hazardous to your health

13. rek

rek New Member

Bugger. I knew I had no self-control. I am now an official member of "Impulsive Mountain Bike Buyers Anonymous"

If all goes to plan, by Wednesday night I'll be the proud and happy owner of a lightly used, incredibly low-priced Cannondale F2000 :D

My credit card statement might end up looking like the national debt, but guess who won't be bored on the Easter holiday :cool:

Good thing LBSes aren't open then or else it'd be all over red rover