And yet another semi recumbent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edward Wong <[email protected]> wrote:

> ...to add to the fold. It seems as if though there are more bikes added every month to this
> catagory. http://www.pek-tweewielers.nl/pages/nieuws-easy-glider.html Anyone know if the language
> on the webpage is Dutch or German?

It's Dutch. The bike is made by the dutch manufacturer Gazelle. It has an one_size_fits_all
aluminium frame and according to the german Website of Gazelle meanwhile 8 internal gears, a
multi-adjustable seat, a battery powered rear light and in front a hub dynamo. The dual 20" tires
are reported to be especially developped for Gazelle aiming at low rolling resistance and comfort.
Also included are disc brakes and a lock fixed to the frame. Gazelle also states that the bike is
easy to handle and qualifies not only for city traffic but also for commuting even on longer
distances.

To be honest: It's not my kind of bike, but it looks not bad and it may offer a relatively
comfortable ride. And not to forget: You get almost three für the price of a sigle BigHa. ;-)

Kurt

[email protected] (Kurt Fischer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Edward Wong <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ...to add to the fold. It seems as if though there are more bikes added every month to this
> > catagory. http://www.pek-tweewielers.nl/pages/nieuws-easy-glider.html Anyone know if the
> > language on the webpage is Dutch or German?
>
> It's Dutch. The bike is made by the dutch manufacturer Gazelle. It has an one_size_fits_all
> aluminium frame and according to the german Website of Gazelle meanwhile 8 internal gears, a
> multi-adjustable seat, a battery powered rear light and in front a hub dynamo. The dual 20" tires
> are reported to be especially developped for Gazelle aiming at low rolling resistance and comfort.
> Also included are disc brakes and a lock fixed to the frame. Gazelle also states that the bike is
> easy to handle and qualifies not only for city traffic but also for commuting even on longer
> distances.

Thanks for the translation Kurt:)

> To be honest: It's not my kind of bike, but it looks not bad and it may offer a relatively
> comfortable ride. And not to forget: You get almost three für the price of a sigle BigHa. ;-)

I agree it not the bike for everyone, but then again, many of the highly regarded recumbents
discussed frequently in a.r.b.r. may not attract the casual cyclist looking for something more
comfortable than the typical upright but find the full recumbent position not to their liking.
Different strokes for different folks I guess;-)

Cheers Edward Wong Orlando, FL

I test rode this bike for an hour and actually ordered one after a few seconds of riding. I
cancelled my order. It is a beautiful bike with everything you could think of. It is also
_very_ heavy. It's great for a comfortable ride on short trips but that's about it. It is
heavy, very heavy.

It's a nice first attempt by Gazelle, but I don't think it will sell and that's just because of the
weight. The Giant EZB models are lighter though less attractive IMHO.

At the very least, these hybrids will introduce the average rider to the world of recumbents.

"DH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I test rode this bike for an hour and actually ordered one after a few seconds of riding. I
> cancelled my order. It is a beautiful bike with everything you could think of. It is also
> _very_ heavy. It's great for a comfortable ride on short trips but that's about it. It is
> heavy, very heavy.
>
> It's a nice first attempt by Gazelle, but I don't think it will sell and that's just because of
> the weight. The Giant EZB models are lighter though less attractive IMHO.
>
> At the very least, these hybrids will introduce the average rider to the world of recumbents.

That is a beautiful bike but you seem to emphasize the weight a lot so it must be very heavy! The
Giant is no lightweight either (41 lbs.), but it's acceptable. I've ridden much heavier bikes. I
used to own a custom cruiser by Dyno called the Motoglide. It had a candy purple powdercoat paint
job with "ghost" flame patterns and a chrome "ape hanger" bar. It used a 4 speed internal Shimano
Nexus hub with internal roller brakes. Really nice and smooth riding. It was heavy though. I
thought 45 to 50 pounds tops. I weighed it one day and almost fainted...58 pounds!!! But strangely
enough, after riding it for several weeks, it didn't seem like it weighed that much anymore. I
could acelerate and keep up with other riders on bikes that weighed 20, 25, even 30 pounds less.
Moral of the story is that one's body does adapt to handle the extra weight to where it's humanly
possible of course.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Saw one of those Gazelle's in a shop window in Holland a few weeks ago and thought it looked nicer than the Giant.

Also saw a much older looking design of semi-recumbent, sort of looked more like a traditional roadster, called RAAM.
Piccies and guff, in flemish, at....
http://www.vanraam.nl/tavara_geveerd.htm

Seamus <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Saw one of those Gazelle's in a shop window in Holland a few weeks ago and thought it looked nicer
> than the Giant.

DH thought the same thing. It does look nice however he was taken with how much it weighed. It's
within reason if it doesn't go over 50 pounds. My ReBike is 50 pounds and it's not bad at all. I am
curious how much the Gazelle weighs just for "kicks".

> Also saw a much older looking design of semi-recumbent, sort of looked more like a traditional
> roadster, called RAAM. Piccies and guff, in flemish, at....
> http://www.vanraam.nl/tavara_geveerd.htm

I seen that bike on their website weeks ago. Like the looks of it too...very dignified.

I do love my new Revive though but I'm happy to see more of these "semi recumbents" out there. These
bikes will get more people to ride and that's what matters;-)

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.