... and you thought new road bike were bad

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Craig Brossman, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. So now that I went out and crossed over to the dark side and bought a road bike, you might assume
    that I'll spend less time on the mountain bike. Certainly the road bike makes it easier for me to
    get some miles on while the local trails are covered with snow and mud, I believe that it will be a
    good training tool to boost my early season conditioning, and here in Colorado's SW, we have plenty
    of roads that are pretty free of cars, especially during the day when I can occasionally cut out for
    a couple of hours.

    But it just occurred to me, I now have a commuter bike which will probably get very little use (as a
    commuter), a great '93 Trek 970 steel monster which has been a good bike for many years. I could
    sell it and perhaps get a couple of hundred, I could let it collect dust and bring it out when some
    visitor needs a bike, or I could rebuild it into a single speed.

    So my new road bike will allow me jump into another aspect of mountain biking, single speeding. And
    of course have all fun building up the bike in the process.

    See, new road bikes aren't so bad, you just have to look at it the right way.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So now that I went out and crossed over to the dark side and bought a road bike, you might assume
    > that I'll spend less time on the mountain bike. Certainly the road bike makes it easier for me to
    > get some miles on while the local trails are covered with snow and mud, I believe that it will be
    > good training tool to boost my early season conditioning, and here in Colorado's SW, we have
    > plenty of roads that are pretty free of cars, especially during the day when I can occasionally
    > cut out for a couple of hours.
    >
    > But it just occurred to me, I now have a commuter bike which will probably get very little use (as
    > a commuter), a great '93 Trek 970 steel monster which has been a good bike for many years. I could
    > sell it and perhaps get
    > couple of hundred, I could let it collect dust and bring it out when some visitor needs a bike, or
    > I could rebuild it into a single speed.
    >
    > So my new road bike will allow me jump into another aspect of mountain biking, single speeding.
    > And of course have all fun building up the bike
    in
    > the process.
    >
    > See, new road bikes aren't so bad, you just have to look at it the right way.

    So you're a pervert AND a masochist!

    Bill "whaddya want, a medal? :) " S.

  3. "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So now that I went out and crossed over to the dark side and bought a road bike, you might assume
    > that I'll spend less time on the mountain bike. Certainly the road bike makes it easier for me to
    > get some miles on while the local trails are covered with snow and mud, I believe that it will be
    > good training tool to boost my early season conditioning, and here in Colorado's SW, we have
    > plenty of roads that are pretty free of cars, especially during the day when I can occasionally
    > cut out for a couple of hours.
    >
    > But it just occurred to me, I now have a commuter bike which will probably get very little use (as
    > a commuter), a great '93 Trek 970 steel monster which has been a good bike for many years. I could
    > sell it and perhaps get
    > couple of hundred, I could let it collect dust and bring it out when some visitor needs a bike, or
    > I could rebuild it into a single speed.
    >
    > So my new road bike will allow me jump into another aspect of mountain biking, single speeding.
    > And of course have all fun building up the bike
    in
    > the process.
    >
    > See, new road bikes aren't so bad, you just have to look at it the right way.
    >
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    I too jumped to the dark side i got my self a road bike last november and have been putting a fair
    few miles on it every week. It has defenitly helped my mountainbiking due to the fitness element.
    Road bike is defenitly the best way to get a good base fitness for the season ahead

    AL

  4. Alastair Maxwell wrote:

    > I too jumped to the dark side i got my self a road bike last november and have been putting a fair
    > few miles on it every week. It has defenitly helped my mountainbiking due to the fitness element.
    > Road bike is defenitly the best way to get a good base fitness for the season ahead
    >
    > AL

    Not only that, if you happen to get out and ride with roadies, you can impress them with your
    off-road bred bike handling skills! <G>

    Bunny hop a pothole, pop a wheelie, glide through sand and gravel, spin up long climbs on the granny
    gear that badass roadies are too proud to have, you get the idea... I had a GREAT time at a 65 mile
    charity ride last year, climbing a long hill in my 30 tooth granny, while maintaining a
    conversation. This was while the guys I was talking to were blowing snot bubbles and drooling from
    the effort.

    Of course, a "real" roadie racer-boy would absolutely KILL me on the same climb. <G> I've noticed
    over the years that real cyclists don't look down their noses at ANY kind of cycling, whether it's
    roadie, off-road, downhilling, BMX, commuting etc... But making Fairfield County, CT. posuers on
    expensive bikes blow snot bubbles while trying to keep up with an old, fat, mountain biker is fun.

    Barry

  5. "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Alastair Maxwell wrote:
    > >

    > > I too jumped to the dark side i got my self a road bike last november
    and
    > > have been putting a fair few miles on it every week. It has defenitly
    helped
    > > my mountainbiking due to the fitness element. Road bike is defenitly the best way to get a good
    > > base fitness for the season ahead
    > >
    > > AL
    > > >

    > Not only that, if you happen to get out and ride with roadies, you can impress them with your
    > off-road bred bike handling skills! <G>
    >
    > Bunny hop a pothole, pop a wheelie, glide through sand and gravel, spin up long climbs on the
    > granny gear that badass roadies are too proud to have, you get the idea... I had a GREAT time at a
    > 65 mile charity ride last year, climbing a long hill in my 30 tooth granny, while maintaining a
    > conversation. This was while the guys I was talking to were blowing snot bubbles and drooling from
    > the effort.
    >
    > Of course, a "real" roadie racer-boy would absolutely KILL me on the same climb. <G> I've noticed
    > over the years that real cyclists don't look down their noses at ANY kind of cycling, whether it's
    > roadie, off-road, downhilling, BMX, commuting etc... But making Fairfield County, CT. posuers on
    > expensive bikes blow snot bubbles while trying to keep up with an old, fat, mountain biker is fun.
    >
    > Barry

    As long as I'm getting out on any type of bike I'm happy. Kicking propper roadie ass is fun I
    must admit.

    AL

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:45:27 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So my new road bike will allow me jump into another aspect of mountain biking, single speeding.

    SSing is not another "aspect" of mountain biking.

    It is mountain biking.

    :-]

  7. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:34:43 -0500, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:45:27 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>So my new road bike will allow me jump into another aspect of mountain biking, single speeding.
    >
    >SSing is not another "aspect" of mountain biking.
    >
    >It is mountain biking.

    um, no Bill. It's adult BMX. Plain and simple. I used to ride my huffy when I was ten, the same way
    u ride your ss, now. Just with slightly larger wheels.

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:03:09 -0500, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>SSing is not another "aspect" of mountain biking.
    >>
    >>It is mountain biking.
    >>

    >um, no Bill. It's adult BMX. Plain and simple. I used to ride my huffy when I was ten, the same way
    >u ride your ss, now. Just with slightly larger wheels.

    I repeat myself when I'm distressed, I repeat myself when I'm distressed, I repeat myself when I'm
    distressed

    SSing is not another "aspect" of mountain biking.

    It is mountain biking.

    :-]

  9. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Alastair Maxwell wrote:
    > >

    > > I too jumped to the dark side i got my self a road bike last november and have been putting a
    > > fair few miles on it every week. It has defenitly helped my mountainbiking due to the fitness
    > > element. Road bike is defenitly the best way to get a good base fitness for the season ahead
    > >
    > > AL
    > > >

    > Not only that, if you happen to get out and ride with roadies, you can impress them with your
    > off-road bred bike handling skills! <G>
    >
    > Bunny hop a pothole, <...>

    Bunnyhopping potholes is especially funny when you're leading a paceline.

    /s

  10. "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com>
    wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Alastair Maxwell wrote:
    > > >

    > > > I too jumped to the dark side i got my self a road bike last november
    and
    > > > have been putting a fair few miles on it every week. It has defenitly
    helped
    > > > my mountainbiking due to the fitness element. Road bike is defenitly
    the
    > > > best way to get a good base fitness for the season ahead
    > > >
    > > > AL
    > > > >

    > > Not only that, if you happen to get out and ride with roadies, you can impress them with your
    > > off-road bred bike handling skills! <G>
    > >
    > > Bunny hop a pothole, <...>
    >
    > Bunnyhopping potholes is especially funny when you're leading a paceline.
    >
    > /s

    Bad form, unless you have the legs and lungs to always lead the pace line. Read Lance's book about
    why you need friends in the peleton.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado