General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Andrew Chung FAQ

Started by Harold McNamara · · Last activity · 93 posts · 2,206 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 August 2003
Last activity
12 September 2003
Original author
Harold McNamara
Posts
93
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,206
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 93
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just do a google search. He's dumped so much junk here since I came here
    back in April that I can't begin to remember it all. Little, if any, was
    sound, heart healthy advice.

    Do you have a cardiologist? If not, and you have chest pains, get one
    yesterday. He's the one to get your advice from because he has the results
    from your tests and knows your lifestyle. Chung, at best, could only be
    taking wild guesses about your personal condition.

    Budd

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    OK, do you have one example of bad advice. (Outside of two pound diet


    issues.)

    Quoted message said:


    Bill

    "Budd Cochran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Bill,

    As a double bypass patient that had the pleasure of having an excellent
    cardiologist, I have a bit of experience with cardiologists.

    Chung is not person I would trust with my heart health. His advice is


    not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that good at best.

    Budd Cochran

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Harold McNamara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > An individual who purports to be a board-certified cardiologist with
    > an international reputation has been regularly posting to this and
    > other health-oriented newsgroups over the last several years. The
    > posts have been under the name Andrew Chung, with an originating
    > domain of heartmdphd.com and (before that), emory.edu.
    >
    > Other names that this individual has apparently used include Michael
    > Roose and "MU".
    >
    > The posts have the following characteristics:
    >
    > 1. They dispense medical advice on heart disease, diabetes, and
    > weight-loss.
    > 2. They are often off-topic, and are cross-posted freely.
    > 3. They frequently contain threats of legal action for "libel",
    > usually when someone else disagrees with Chung's views.
    >
    > There is an Andrew Chung who resides in the Atlanta area, living in


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > rather seedy suburb of Atlanta. This indiviudal is unaffiliated


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > any hospitals in the area, making it extremely unlikely that he has


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > active medical practice.
    >
    > There is also a Web site, www.heartmdphd.com, that contains a great
    > deal of self-serving information concerning Andrew Chung, and also
    > features a so-called cyberstalking section that hosts insults


    directed

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > at those who have criticized Chung's on-line articles hyping his
    > "two-pound" diet and other recommended treatments.
    >
    > In all likelihood Dr. Chung is at worst a quack and at best a lonely
    > and isolated individual who compensates for a feeling of failure and
    > emptiness with his online shenanigans.
    >
    > In any case, his medical advice should be avoided, or at least
    > verified by one's own physician.

    Actually, from what I have seen his advice has been quite


    knowledgeable

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and

    Quoted message said:

    helpful. Two pound diet issues aside - which seems to inflame a lot of
    passion - can you provide some examples, or any example for that


    matter,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of

    Quoted message said:

    medical information that he has provided that is factually incorrect?

    If not, why do you believe such advice should be avoided?

    Bill

  2. Budd Cochran declared:

    <waffle snipped>

    Quoted message said:

    Just do a google search. He's dumped so much junk here since I came here
    back in April that I can't begin to remember it all. Little, if any, was
    sound, heart healthy advice.

    In your opinion, but I've not seen much better from anyone else lately...

    Quoted message said:

    Chung, at best, could only be
    taking wild guesses about your personal condition.

    <waffle snipped>

    Wild guessing is not surprising, as this is usenet and not a surgery. Most
    posts are unspecific anyway, so what would you prefer - a reasoned answer
    from a professional on the scant info given, or a mystical crystal ball
    reading from the likes of Jai Maharaj ??

    People that are worried come here first because they can get some general
    idea of what they are wanting to know, before consulting for a fat fee.
    This is a great service, and I wish more genuine doctors would participate
    as there is a wealth of *hidden* information in the medical world to be
    passed on, that the general public find hard to gain access to for free.

    Nobody in their right mind would accept anything posted here as the
    definitive answer, but you can certainly get an idea of what you need to
    know from people like Dr.Chung, who give time freely to try to educate us
    mere mortals. I posted a few questions, got an idea of what to be specific
    about with the specialist, went to see one and got sorted out much quicker
    than if I had gone there with little or no idea at all.

    I do get the feeling that all the negativity here is about money, in that
    some in the medical profession would rather we went to their office and
    paid them for what we can mostly get here for free. In the last few months,
    I've been smelling rats in the barrel, and I think I got an idea who it
    is.....
    My killfile is growing daily !

    --
    You can't have it all -
    Where would you put it ?

  3. "Bigjon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Budd Cochran declared:

    <waffle snipped>

    Quoted message said:

    Just do a google search. He's dumped so much junk here since I came here
    back in April that I can't begin to remember it all. Little, if any, was
    sound, heart healthy advice.

    In your opinion, but I've not seen much better from anyone else lately...

    And this adds even less than what I did.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Chung, at best, could only be
    taking wild guesses about your personal condition.

    <waffle snipped>

    Wild guessing is not surprising, as this is usenet and not a surgery. Most
    posts are unspecific anyway, so what would you prefer - a reasoned answer
    from a professional on the scant info given, or a mystical crystal ball
    reading from the likes of Jai Maharaj ??

    Would you rather be treated by a known quack? Chung is a quack.

    Quoted message said:


    People that are worried come here first because they can get some general
    idea of what they are wanting to know, before consulting for a fat fee.
    This is a great service, and I wish more genuine doctors would participate
    as there is a wealth of *hidden* information in the medical world to be
    passed on, that the general public find hard to gain access to for free.

    I agree, but you have to protect innocent people from the carnivorous
    raptors disguised as quacks.

    Quoted message said:


    Nobody in their right mind would accept anything posted here as the
    definitive answer, but you can certainly get an idea of what you need to
    know from people like Dr.Chung, who give time freely to try to educate us
    mere mortals. I posted a few questions, got an idea of what to be specific
    about with the specialist, went to see one and got sorted out much quicker
    than if I had gone there with little or no idea at all.

    I haven't been so fortunate as some discussions have tended to degrade into
    topics I do not wish to discuss. It's sometimes hard to even tell a joke in
    here.

    Quoted message said:


    I do get the feeling that all the negativity here is about money, in that
    some in the medical profession would rather we went to their office and
    paid them for what we can mostly get here for free. In the last few


    months,

    Quoted message said:

    I've been smelling rats in the barrel, and I think I got an idea who it
    is.....
    My killfile is growing daily !

    --
    You can't have it all -
    Where would you put it ?

    Well, if you think I'm a rat, then fine, add me to your kill file. It's your
    loss.

    IMHO, Chung is a dangerous quack that doesn't care if his advice costs
    someone their life or not.

    Budd

  4. You didn't answer the question you were asked. He asked you for one
    example of bad advice. Appears you are just blowing smoke and have
    nothing to back up your statement with .

    Bob

    Budd Cochran said:

    Just do a google search. He's dumped so much junk here since I came here
    back in April that I can't begin to remember it all. Little, if any, was
    sound, heart healthy advice.

    Do you have a cardiologist? If not, and you have chest pains, get one
    yesterday. He's the one to get your advice from because he has the results
    from your tests and knows your lifestyle. Chung, at best, could only be
    taking wild guesses about your personal condition.

    Budd

  5. Bill said:


    "doe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You did not read my original post or did not pay attention to it. I
    specifically requested that 2 pound diet issues be put asside - because it
    inflames such passion - and that someone bring up ANY other piece of


    medical

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    information/advice that he has given out here that is factually incorrect.

    I wasn't questioning ANYTHING about his '
    two pound diet' .. specifically .. just his 'take' on the ability to


    'control

    Quoted message said:

    cravings' .. which IS part and parcel of medical advice.

    His medical advice .. was for want of a better word .. lacking .. due to the
    fact he specifically mentions the REASON for 'snipping' the discussion ..


    and

    Quoted message said:

    the reason FOR 'snipping' .. was incorrect.

    Therefore ANY information given as to medical advice NOW becomes ..


    suspect..?

    Quoted message said:


    Logic ..

    Quoted message said:


    So the request/challenge remains.

    For someone who has blinders on .. maybe ..

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Again, I did not say the two pound diet specifically. I requested that ANY
    issues related to the two pound diet be put aside - because it inflames
    passions - and another example of factually incorrect medical advice be
    provided.

    You have not done that. Instead you have begun to call me names. (Which is the
    reason I requested that anything related to two pound diet issues not be
    discussed in response to my post.)

    The request/challenge remains.

    Bill

    Bill

    Bill , he is just a horse's ass that is trolling on this newsgroup and
    apparent;y likes to post [censored] that he can't back up.

    I love it when jerks make a statement like, " He is giving out bad
    advice or incorrect information," and when asked for one example, they
    start trying to change the subject, telling you that you should
    search for something. What an imbecile.

    My Kill file on this newsgroup is starting to approach the size of
    the Manhattan Phonebook 🙂

    Bob

  6. [email hidden] (Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Phil Holman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Harold McNamara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message > In all
    likelihood Dr. Chung is at worst a quack and at best a lonely

    Quoted message said:

    and isolated individual who compensates for a feeling of failure and
    emptiness with his online shenanigans.

    In any case, his medical advice should be avoided, or at least
    verified by one's own physician.

    What qualifications do you possess to make this statement?

    Phil Holman

    Folks who don't sign their posts generally have zero qualifications
    and are
    "at best a lonely and isolated individual who compensates for a
    feeling of failure and emptiness with his online shenanigans."

    Hi, you don't know me, but I have a question. Why do so many people
    not like you? Is it normal for people to be so mean in here?

    Thank you for answering. I know doctors are busy people. :-)

    Bye for now, Sandee

  7. "Budd Cochran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just do a google search. He's dumped so much junk here since I came here
    back in April that I can't begin to remember it all. Little, if any, was
    sound, heart healthy advice.

    Do you have a cardiologist? If not, and you have chest pains, get one
    yesterday. He's the one to get your advice from because he has the results
    from your tests and knows your lifestyle. Chung, at best, could only be
    taking wild guesses about your personal condition.

    Budd

    Hi Budd,

    I have a Cardiologist and a good one too. She and I have been working together
    to keep me alive since my first heart attack about 14 years ago. So far, it
    seems to have worked. 🙂

    I try to keep up with what is going on in the field by attending lectures
    occasionally, and reading some. I came to this newsgroup a few months ago and
    got a good answer, from Dr. Chung, to a question I posed. Obviously, this is
    not the place to be if you are having chest pains. I think I would prefer the
    ER or at least my Cardiologist's office!

    However, there are still many general questions which can be asked and
    answered here. (I've even answered a few involving stuff I've been through.)
    Two pound diet issues aside - which I refuse to discuss because of the
    emotions that immediately ensue - I believe Dr. Chung's answers have been
    accurate. But I am willing to be shown to be wrong.

    So again I ask that - two pound diet issues aside - can you (or anyone)
    provide examples of factually incorrect medical information that Dr. Chung has
    provided on this board?

    Bill

  8. "Tiger Lily" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Phil Holman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    ..earthlink.net...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In any case, his medical advice should be avoided, or at least
    verified by one's own physician.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What qualifications do you possess to make this statement?

    Phil Holman

    common sense and an ability to read?

    And this is equivalent to how many years of medical school? Instead of
    picking lint out of your bellybutton, learn something about medicine.
    You might then know enough to draw an intelligent conclusion.

    Phil Holman

  9. Budd Cochran said:

    Chung is not person I would trust with my heart health. His advice is not
    that good at best.

    My question has always been...if Dr Chung has such a busy practice and
    he is such a good cardiologist, how does he have so much time to spend
    in front of a computer arguing with strangers about whether or not he
    is a good doctor? I would hate to think that *any* doctor of mine
    spent so much time *playing* on the computer. Doesn't he have
    something better to do like reading the latest journals on cardiology?
    JMO.

    Dana

    "The leading cause of death among fashion models is
    falling through street grates." ~Dave Barry~

  10. Phil Holman said:


    "Tiger Lily" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Phil Holman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    .earthlink.net...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > In any case, his medical advice should be avoided, or at least
    > verified by one's own physician.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What qualifications do you possess to make this statement?

    Phil Holman

    common sense and an ability to read?

    And this is equivalent to how many years of medical school? Instead of
    picking lint out of your bellybutton, learn something about medicine.
    You might then know enough to draw an intelligent conclusion.

    Phil Holman

    I think for her to be claiming "common sense" is pushing the envelope
    quite a bit.

    Bob

  11. On 30 Aug 2003 22:48:16 -0700, [email hidden] (Dr. Andrew B.

    Chung said:

    [email hidden] (Harold McNamara) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    <unsigned libelous statements snipped>

    for someone who claims to be a PFD you sure don't know how to read.
    The post was signed.

    Quoted message said:


    More hissing...

    The rest of Dr Dung's hissing snipped.

  12. Budd Cochran said:

    Just do a google search. He's dumped so much junk here since I came here
    back in April that I can't begin to remember it all. Little, if any, was
    sound, heart healthy advice.

    Do you have a cardiologist? If not, and you have chest pains, get one
    yesterday. He's the one to get your advice from because he has the results
    from your tests and knows your lifestyle. Chung, at best, could only be
    taking wild guesses about your personal condition.

    Budd

    chung has claimed in the past that all he needs to do is review your
    case via the net and that constitutes all the so called proper case
    history he needs to treat and prescribe and subsequently bill for your
    heart problems.

    Dr Dung discussions are off topic every except sci.med.cardiology

  13. No, Bill, I can't because I've never seen anything from him worth
    remembering or safe for me as a heart patient. OK?

    If you want more than that do the search.

    Budd

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Budd Cochran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just do a google search. He's dumped so much junk here since I came here
    back in April that I can't begin to remember it all. Little, if any, was
    sound, heart healthy advice.

    Do you have a cardiologist? If not, and you have chest pains, get one
    yesterday. He's the one to get your advice from because he has the


    results

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    from your tests and knows your lifestyle. Chung, at best, could only be
    taking wild guesses about your personal condition.

    Budd

    Hi Budd,

    I have a Cardiologist and a good one too. She and I have been working


    together

    Quoted message said:

    to keep me alive since my first heart attack about 14 years ago. So far,


    it

    Quoted message said:

    seems to have worked. 🙂

    I try to keep up with what is going on in the field by attending lectures
    occasionally, and reading some. I came to this newsgroup a few months ago


    and

    Quoted message said:

    got a good answer, from Dr. Chung, to a question I posed. Obviously, this


    is

    Quoted message said:

    not the place to be if you are having chest pains. I think I would prefer


    the

    Quoted message said:

    ER or at least my Cardiologist's office!

    However, there are still many general questions which can be asked and
    answered here. (I've even answered a few involving stuff I've been


    through.)

    Quoted message said:

    Two pound diet issues aside - which I refuse to discuss because of the
    emotions that immediately ensue - I believe Dr. Chung's answers have been
    accurate. But I am willing to be shown to be wrong.

    So again I ask that - two pound diet issues aside - can you (or anyone)
    provide examples of factually incorrect medical information that Dr. Chung


    has

    Quoted message said:

    provided on this board?

    Bill

  14. Good morning Bob,
    On 31-Aug-2003, Bob Cardone <cardone1!@!mindspring.com> wrote:

    Bob said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anyone can assign any name to a Hotmail Account..

    Carmen said:
    Quoted message said:

    True. But then again anyone can assign a name to *any* ISP account
    too. There's no guarantee that your name is Bob Cardone, nor is there
    any
    guarantee that my ISP email (chthomp AT bellsouth DOT net) has any
    relation to my name either. The only one of my email addresses that
    I can't change my name on is my AKO email address that ends in AT us
    DOT army DOT mil (Army one through my husband - he's an active duty
    soldier).

    Bob said:

    Well, if you realize that , then why did your statement that really
    means nothing. ? Here is your sentence that I was replying to.

    <Carmen's earlier statement>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Point of order: Harold McNamara *did* have his name on his post (see
    above in the attributions).

    Quoted message said:

    This Harold whatever his name is, could have signed it Abraham
    Lincoln, or Bob Hope or anything. So it indicates nothing, as far as
    the persons identity. People that want to hide their real identity for
    one reason or another , go to places like Hotmail and can get many
    Email addresses. You and this Harold person may be the same person for
    all we know.

    Carmen wrote:
    I was trying to be subtle, but it didn't work. I was trying to gently
    point out that the original statement (that people with no
    qualifications don't sign their posts) doesn't hold any water, because
    there's no guarantee that *anybody* is who they say they are - you, me,
    *or* Dr. Andrew Chung. "Dr. Andrew B. Chung" exists, but there's no
    guarantee that the person who posts here is him, any more than the
    person who posted as "Harold McNamara" is really a Harold McNamara, or
    the person who posts as "Bob Cardone" is really a Bob Cardone.
    To ascribe any higher validity to identities that post from one ISP or
    Web based email system than any other is pointless.

    "Harold Mc Namara" used a Hotmail address, but a cursory glance at his
    headers shows that he posted from Cinema Internet Network, Inc.
    "Carmen" posts from a Hotmail address, but a glance at my headers will
    show that I post from a BellSouth account.
    "Dr. Andrew Chung" posts from a Google account, but his headers show he
    too posts from BellSouth.
    The person who posts as "Mu" also posts from BellSouth according to the
    header information.

    If you have children you may remember the old Sesame Street song "One of
    these things is not like the others".
    "Harold McNamara" is the only one of the above group who doesn't post
    from BellSouth. The likelihood that Harold and I are the same person is
    quite slim. A much higher possibility exists that I am Chung, or Mu, or
    both. I'm neither one of those two gentlemen however - but I *could*
    be.
    Can you see now how pointless discounting any one poster's ID is, when
    the fact is that *nobody's* ID is certain?

    Take care,
    Carmen

  15. Budd Cochran said:

    IMHO,

    TROLL.

  16. Mack said:

    you forgot to mention that we now refer to him as Dr Dung.

    No, you refer to him as that when you are not faking my posts, Mack
    The Troll.

    I have posted this to your home newsgroup ASD so your "crowd" can be
    oh so proud of you. I would hate for you to hang out and TROLL
    Chung all day long without your buddies knowing about it.

    Quoted message said:

    Please do not cross post anything to sci.med.cardiology and this
    newsgroup.

    Up yours, TROLL.

  17. Mack said:

    Dr Dung's advice to diabetics on how to reduce meds both oral and
    insulin on his diet quackery website.

    Mack is a troll from alt.support.diabetes.

  18. On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:34:09 GMT, "Carmen " <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Harold McNamara" is the only one of the above group who doesn't post
    from BellSouth. The likelihood that Harold and I are the same person is
    quite slim. A much higher possibility exists that I am Chung,

    I doubt that is a much higher possibility.

    Quoted message said:

    or Mu,

    MUCH lower possibility.

    Quoted message said:

    or
    both.

    No possibility whatsoever.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm neither one of those two gentlemen however - but I *could*
    be.

    You could also be a cat but you would have a better chance of being
    Mu.

  19. Mack said:

    chung has claimed in the past that all he needs to do is review your
    case via the net and that constitutes all the so called proper case
    history he needs to treat and prescribe and subsequently bill for your
    heart problems.

    Dr Dung discussions are off topic every except sci.med.cardiology

    Mack is a troll from alt.support.diabtetes who sneaks over to scm to
    do his business.

  20. [email hidden] (Harold McNamara) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    An individual who purports to be a board-certified cardiologist with
    an international reputation has been regularly posting to this and
    other health-oriented newsgroups over the last several years. The
    posts have been under the name Andrew Chung, with an originating
    domain of heartmdphd.com and (before that), emory.edu.

    Other names that this individual has apparently used include Michael
    Roose and "MU".

    The posts have the following characteristics:

    1. They dispense medical advice on heart disease, diabetes, and
    weight-loss.
    2. They are often off-topic, and are cross-posted freely.
    3. They frequently contain threats of legal action for "libel",
    usually when someone else disagrees with Chung's views.

    There is an Andrew Chung who resides in the Atlanta area, living in a
    rather seedy suburb of Atlanta. This indiviudal is unaffiliated with
    any hospitals in the area, making it extremely unlikely that he has an
    active medical practice.

    There is also a Web site, www.heartmdphd.com, that contains a great
    deal of self-serving information concerning Andrew Chung, and also
    features a so-called cyberstalking section that hosts insults directed
    at those who have criticized Chung's on-line articles hyping his
    "two-pound" diet and other recommended treatments.

    In all likelihood Dr. Chung is at worst a quack and at best a lonely
    and isolated individual who compensates for a feeling of failure and
    emptiness with his online shenanigans.

    In any case, his medical advice should be avoided, or at least
    verified by one's own physician.

    Looks good to me:

    http://www.ama-assn.org/iwcf/iwcfmgr206/SESSION_ID=1917642/SESSION_AR=56/frm_name=aps_result?action_detail.x=hello&row=0&key=0&amap=N&form_type=r&mem=N

    And if that doesn't get you there, go to the American Medical
    Association's website and search under his name. I'm a newbie to this
    group, and to computers too, still I was able to find out Dr. Chung is
    'real' with more than basic creds.

    MFG (Janey Canuck)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.