Road Cycling · Public discussion

Andrew Heckman Gets Hip Rebuilt!

Started by Cycle America · · Last activity · 3 posts · 938 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 April 2004
Last activity
7 April 2004
Original author
Cycle America
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
938
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Andrew Heckman, the man who was riding for us in 2002 when he got
    ameliorated by a car (the story is at:
    http://webpages.charter.net/200a/AndrewHeckman2.htm) just had his hip
    rebuilt! His is an amazing story that has traveled all over the
    internet. Andrew's hip was so crushed in the accident that his doctors
    likened it to a bowl of corn flakes. And this sweetheart of a man,
    refuses to be compromised by this disaster. Keep his fires burning. Let
    him know how much you honor him: "Andrew Heckman" <[email hidden]>:
    ========================================

    Home Again
    Published on 03/31/04 at 17:04:02 PST by Andrew Heckman

    At last I have a chance to do a quick site update. I¹ve been devoting a
    lot of time the last couple of days to a business plan I¹m working on
    for a client, but that¹s going well enough to allow a quick post.

    I came home from the hospital last Friday afternoon, and I¹m able to get
    around on crutches (and even go very short distances -- five feet or so
    -- without crutches!). Pretty amazing considering that I have a
    foot-long gash in my left hip, where a doctor reached in, sawed off the
    top of my femur, etched a plug from the living bone, jammed that into my
    sunken hip socket and sunk two screws to secure it, then shoved in a
    faux socket, screwed a metal ball into the top of my femur bone, then
    stapled me closed again.

    The operation went extremely well. The only difficulty, according to Dr.
    Hikes, was that my sciatic nerve was ³just lying there like a snake in
    the grass waiting to bite us.² Normally, the sciatic nerve is encased in
    a bundle of soft tissue, but in my case, the soft tissue had all been
    obliterated. So the surgery took about 3.5 hours total.

    My hospital stay was a piece of cake compared to my last experience.
    Whereas before I was in the hospital for three weeks and
    non-weight-bearing for six weeks, this time I was in the hospital for
    five days and was standing up (using a walker) the day after the
    surgery.

    The only really tough part was on Tuesday, when I really did feel as if
    I¹d been hit by a truck. Lisa said I was pretty pale and waxy on Monday
    afternoon and Tuesday morning. But they pumped another pint of my own
    blood into me on Tuesday and that helped get my systems back on line. By
    Wednesday, I was walking a bit with crutches and feeling optimistic that
    I would, as hoped, leave the hospital by the weekend.

    Now we¹ve got my pain meds worked out, and my blood volume and
    hemoglobin levels are getting back to normal. In fact, things are going
    so well that Steve is considering heading back to Madison a few days
    early.

    The next step is tomorrowŠa nurse will be coming in to do another blood
    check and remove the staples (there are 26 of them in the incision). I
    might have to take a photo of the incision before and after, but if I
    post the photos, I¹ll be sure to link them first with a warning not to
    click on them unless you¹re sure you¹re preparedŠit ain¹t for the
    squeamish, let me tell you. But as I said, considering the trauma, it¹s
    really quite amazing that I¹m so far along so quickly.

    So if anyone tells you ³the human race was a lot better off a thousand
    years ago when we didn¹t have all this soul-stealing modern technology,²
    you can tell them from me that they¹re full of [censored]!

    M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
    http://www.BikeRoute.com/AwakeAgain
    Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, Attacking with Love
    Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
    '79 & '86 TransAm Vet
    N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y

  2. "Cycle America" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Andrew Heckman, the man who was riding for us in 2002 when he got
    ameliorated by a car

    Perhaps you should get a dictionary! "Ameliorate" means to cause something
    to become better.

  3. In article <3PGcc.38791$oR5.29300@pd7tw3no>,

    fred said:


    "Cycle America" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Andrew Heckman, the man who was riding for us in 2002 when he got
    ameliorated by a car

    Perhaps you should get a dictionary! "Ameliorate" means to cause something
    to become better.

    Maybe he meant "amortized".

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.