Andy Hass

Swstudio

Guest
Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
training has been superb.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

SwStudio wrote:

> Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
> training has been superb.
>

> cheers,

Hear, hear!

Good luck Andy. We're rooting for you. Hope that taper dials you in to the best form of your life.

Scott

Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me climbing
the walls. I'm checking my heartrate at 5:25 pace today so that will give me a rough indication if
the wheels are there, I'll keep you all updated. My bib # is 2394 if that assists anyone in
tracking. Speaking of that, time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound... Andy Hass

[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
details. ]]

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Hass wrote:

> time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound... Andy Hass

Andy,

All the best. A good number of people from San Diego are headed back to Chicago.

Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

Just some phrases to accompany you along the course.

They will come in at various times as you do a mind/body scan.

In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
Clinic, est. 1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

> Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
> under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me
> climbing the walls. I'm checking my heartrate at 5:25 pace today so that will give me a rough
> indication if the wheels are there, I'll keep you all updated. My bib # is 2394 if that assists
> anyone in tracking. Speaking of that, time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound...
> Andy Hass

Andy - Good luck!

It has been inspiring to follow your training and racing - I hope your nerves allow you to relax
enough to get some rest this week!

I'll be trying to keep track on Sunday from over here...

Anthony.

[email protected] wrote:

> Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
> under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me
> climbing the walls.

I'd suggest a few Heinekens but suspect your on the wagon for this sprint. ;)

Good luck!!!!

--
Doug Freese [email protected]

Ozzie Gontang <[email protected]> wrote:
> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
> details. ]]

> In article <[email protected]>, Andy Hass wrote:

>> time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound... Andy Hass

> Andy,

> All the best. A good number of people from San Diego are headed back to Chicago.

> Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

> Just some phrases to accompany you along the course.

> They will come in at various times as you do a mind/body scan.

> In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
> Clinic, est. 1975

> Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

Thanks Ozzie, relaxing and keeping good form during the race is an important factor that can make or
break a race, IMHO. Doing form/relaxation checks is also a good way to pass the first 1.5 hours
before real racing starts. Andy Hass

I did 4Xmile tonight with full (5min) recovery just to dial in my pacing, like I've done for every
marathon. Since my goal pace is 5:25/mile, I did the 1st three right on that checking my pace every
200m. Then the last one I ran without checking my watch until the end (5:26). The one additional
thing I did this time was strap on the HRM. My pulse locked right on 165 through each one.
Considering I have a max of between 190 and 200 somewhere, that's about 85%. So it's right on the
line as to whether I can average that for a whole marathon. I'll probably go out a little slow and
hope I can pop some 5:15-5:20s at the end to make it up... Andy Hass

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:

>> Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
>> under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me
>> climbing the walls.

> I'd suggest a few Heinekens but suspect your on the wagon for this sprint. ;)

> Good luck!!!!

> --
> Doug Freese [email protected]

Yes, but after this race I'll need two (or six...). I'll be off the wagon by that evening, 2:21
or 2:26 it'll still be a big PR worth celebrating. Thanks! Andy Hass

[email protected] wrote: ....
> I'll be off the wagon by that evening, 2:21 or 2:26 it'll still be a big PR worth celebrating.

how about 2:21:22. that sounds nice and palindromic ;-)

as for calming nerves, you could try some of these:
- bedtime tea (the kind with different 'soothing' flavors)
- shadow boxing
- preparing a fair and balanced speech to give, in case you win the marathon
- bob beamon's preparations the night before he set the world record in long jump at the
1968 olympics

good luck. may the force be with you. jobs

[email protected] wrote:
> I did 4Xmile tonight with full (5min) recovery just to dial in my pacing, like I've done for
> every marathon. Since my goal pace is 5:25/mile, I did the 1st three right on that checking my
> pace every 200m. Then the last one I ran without checking my watch until the end (5:26). The
> one additional thing I did this time was strap on the HRM. My pulse locked right on 165 through
> each one. Considering I have a max of between 190 and 200 somewhere, that's about 85%. So it's
> right on the line as to whether I can average that for a whole marathon. I'll probably go out a
> little slow and hope I can pop some 5:15-5:20s at the end to make it up... Andy Hass

Sounds like you've got both pace and constant effort dialed in! A good taper .... and go for it!
Good luck, Andy. We're all rooting for you.

Dot

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
> training has been superb.

Good luck Andy! I hope your marathon experience was as good as mine!

-jeremy
+================================================================+ Jeremy Hallum, System Manager ,
Astronomy, University of Michigan [email protected]::[email protected] "Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"

Good luck andy. another pain question. be in chelsie. the week end of chicago. Lowtuc chill out you
little worm. save your best for the race. nerd bucket. see you in Hell. when you get back. state
land. parks right................

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
> training has been superb.
>

> cheers,

Best of luck, Andy. We will be following things closely.

Brian Jones

Good luck, Andy. The first thing I do when I get back from my own race will be to check for your
result. Whatever happens, I'll be grateful for the inspiration you've given me. Jonathan

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
> training has been superb.
>

> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

> Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > [email protected] wrote:
>
> >> Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and
I'm
> >> trying to keep the nerves under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and
> >> my nerves will have me climbing the walls.
>

> > I'd suggest a few Heinekens but suspect your on the wagon for this sprint. ;)
>
> > Good luck!!!!
>

> > --
> > Doug Freese [email protected]
>
> Yes, but after this race I'll need two (or six...). I'll be off the
wagon
> by that evening, 2:21 or 2:26 it'll still be a big PR worth celebrating. Thanks! Andy Hass

Look for Jamie Rodriguez, bib # 1645, his Marathon debut was 2:28 in Pittsburgh and he's shooting
for 2:22. Here's a picture of him running with my wife in her marathon debut last September:
http://www.teamutopia-usa.com/images/mhrm2002/jamienancy.gif He now runs with this club
www.willowstreetac.com/main.htm

Hope it's good weather.

Parker Race

Jonathan Sydenham <[email protected]> wrote:
> Good luck, Andy. The first thing I do when I get back from my own race will be to check for your
> result. Whatever happens, I'll be grateful for the inspiration you've given me. Jonathan

---Good luck Jonathan, be sure to post how you do! I'm glad I've been able to help someone
out. Andy Hass