Andy Hass

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
    training has been superb.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

    Tags:

  2. SwStudio wrote:

    > Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
    > training has been superb.
    >

    > cheers,

    Hear, hear!

    Good luck Andy. We're rooting for you. Hope that taper dials you in to the best form of your life.

    Scott

  3. ahass

    ahass Guest

    Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
    under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me climbing
    the walls. I'm checking my heartrate at 5:25 pace today so that will give me a rough indication if
    the wheels are there, I'll keep you all updated. My bib # is 2394 if that assists anyone in
    tracking. Speaking of that, time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound... Andy Hass

  4. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
    details. ]]

    In article <[email protected]>, Andy Hass wrote:

    > time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound... Andy Hass

    Andy,

    All the best. A good number of people from San Diego are headed back to Chicago.

    Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

    Just some phrases to accompany you along the course.

    They will come in at various times as you do a mind/body scan.

    In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
    Clinic, est. 1975

    Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

  5. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    > Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
    > under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me
    > climbing the walls. I'm checking my heartrate at 5:25 pace today so that will give me a rough
    > indication if the wheels are there, I'll keep you all updated. My bib # is 2394 if that assists
    > anyone in tracking. Speaking of that, time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound...
    > Andy Hass

    Andy - Good luck!

    It has been inspiring to follow your training and racing - I hope your nerves allow you to relax
    enough to get some rest this week!

    I'll be trying to keep track on Sunday from over here...

    Anthony.

  6. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
    > under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me
    > climbing the walls.

    I'd suggest a few Heinekens but suspect your on the wagon for this sprint. ;)

    Good luck!!!!

    --
    Doug Freese [email protected]

  7. ahass

    ahass Guest

    Ozzie Gontang <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
    > details. ]]

    > In article <[email protected]>, Andy Hass wrote:

    >> time to start a new thread for all those Chicago-bound... Andy Hass

    > Andy,

    > All the best. A good number of people from San Diego are headed back to Chicago.

    > Calm Form/Smooth/Flow Eyes on the Horizon Relax Shoulders Relax Jaw Breathe Focus

    > Just some phrases to accompany you along the course.

    > They will come in at various times as you do a mind/body scan.

    > In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
    > Clinic, est. 1975

    > Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

    Thanks Ozzie, relaxing and keeping good form during the race is an important factor that can make or
    break a race, IMHO. Doing form/relaxation checks is also a good way to pass the first 1.5 hours
    before real racing starts. Andy Hass

  8. ahass

    ahass Guest

    I did 4Xmile tonight with full (5min) recovery just to dial in my pacing, like I've done for every
    marathon. Since my goal pace is 5:25/mile, I did the 1st three right on that checking my pace every
    200m. Then the last one I ran without checking my watch until the end (5:26). The one additional
    thing I did this time was strap on the HRM. My pulse locked right on 165 through each one.
    Considering I have a max of between 190 and 200 somewhere, that's about 85%. So it's right on the
    line as to whether I can average that for a whole marathon. I'll probably go out a little slow and
    hope I can pop some 5:15-5:20s at the end to make it up... Andy Hass

  9. ahass

    ahass Guest

    Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:

    >> Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and I'm trying to keep the nerves
    >> under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and my nerves will have me
    >> climbing the walls.

    > I'd suggest a few Heinekens but suspect your on the wagon for this sprint. ;)

    > Good luck!!!!

    > --
    > Doug Freese [email protected]

    Yes, but after this race I'll need two (or six...). I'll be off the wagon by that evening, 2:21
    or 2:26 it'll still be a big PR worth celebrating. Thanks! Andy Hass

  10. jobin

    jobin Guest

    [email protected] wrote: ....
    > I'll be off the wagon by that evening, 2:21 or 2:26 it'll still be a big PR worth celebrating.

    how about 2:21:22. that sounds nice and palindromic ;-)

    as for calming nerves, you could try some of these:
    - bedtime tea (the kind with different 'soothing' flavors)
    - shadow boxing
    - preparing a fair and balanced speech to give, in case you win the marathon
    - bob beamon's preparations the night before he set the world record in long jump at the
    1968 olympics

    good luck. may the force be with you. jobs

  11. Dot

    Dot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I did 4Xmile tonight with full (5min) recovery just to dial in my pacing, like I've done for
    > every marathon. Since my goal pace is 5:25/mile, I did the 1st three right on that checking my
    > pace every 200m. Then the last one I ran without checking my watch until the end (5:26). The
    > one additional thing I did this time was strap on the HRM. My pulse locked right on 165 through
    > each one. Considering I have a max of between 190 and 200 somewhere, that's about 85%. So it's
    > right on the line as to whether I can average that for a whole marathon. I'll probably go out a
    > little slow and hope I can pop some 5:15-5:20s at the end to make it up... Andy Hass

    Sounds like you've got both pace and constant effort dialed in! A good taper .... and go for it!
    Good luck, Andy. We're all rooting for you.

    Dot

  12. jhallum

    jhallum Guest

    SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
    > training has been superb.

    Good luck Andy! I hope your marathon experience was as good as mine!

    -jeremy
    +================================================================+ Jeremy Hallum, System Manager ,
    Astronomy, University of Michigan [email protected]::[email protected] "Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"

  13. You S.Arocks

    You S.Arocks Guest

    Good luck andy. another pain question. be in chelsie. the week end of chicago. Lowtuc chill out you
    little worm. save your best for the race. nerd bucket. see you in Hell. when you get back. state
    land. parks right................

  14. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
    > training has been superb.
    >

    > cheers,

    Best of luck, Andy. We will be following things closely.

    Brian Jones

  15. Andy,

    Godspeed ! :)

    Arne

  16. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Arne Todnem Vik-Mo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Andy,

    > Godspeed ! :)

    or as they might say in swedish: full fart nu!

  17. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    Andy Haas you go!

    Karen

  18. Good luck, Andy. The first thing I do when I get back from my own race will be to check for your
    result. Whatever happens, I'll be grateful for the inspiration you've given me. Jonathan

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Best of luck at the big race next weekend. I hope the weather cooperates and you are "on". Your
    > training has been superb.
    >

    > cheers,
    > --
    > David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

  19. Parker Race

    Parker Race Guest

    > Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >> Thanks guys! It's been a long, hard 10 months leading into this and
    I'm
    > >> trying to keep the nerves under control as they won't help anything... Another couple days and
    > >> my nerves will have me climbing the walls.
    >

    > > I'd suggest a few Heinekens but suspect your on the wagon for this sprint. ;)
    >
    > > Good luck!!!!
    >

    > > --
    > > Doug Freese [email protected]
    >
    > Yes, but after this race I'll need two (or six...). I'll be off the
    wagon
    > by that evening, 2:21 or 2:26 it'll still be a big PR worth celebrating. Thanks! Andy Hass

    Look for Jamie Rodriguez, bib # 1645, his Marathon debut was 2:28 in Pittsburgh and he's shooting
    for 2:22. Here's a picture of him running with my wife in her marathon debut last September:
    http://www.teamutopia-usa.com/images/mhrm2002/jamienancy.gif He now runs with this club
    www.willowstreetac.com/main.htm

    Hope it's good weather.

    Parker Race

  20. ahass

    ahass Guest

    Jonathan Sydenham <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Good luck, Andy. The first thing I do when I get back from my own race will be to check for your
    > result. Whatever happens, I'll be grateful for the inspiration you've given me. Jonathan

    ---Good luck Jonathan, be sure to post how you do! I'm glad I've been able to help someone
    out. Andy Hass