Andy Schleck booted from Vuelta

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Riis boots pair for drinking alcohol

Bjarne Riis has removed Andy Schleck and Stuart O'Grady from the Vuelta a Espana after the pair violated team rules by drinking alcohol after dinner.
Andy Schleck confirmed the news to Cyclingnews, releasing a statement while on his way home:

"I acknowledge that I have broken a rule on the team by going out for a drink after dinner and for that reason Bjarne has decided to send myself and Stuart O’Grady home.

"I’m responsible for my actions and even though I think it is too harsh a decision, I respect that Bjarne is the boss and he needs to do what he thinks is the best.

"I was getting back into shape and I would really have liked to stay at the Vuelta and help Frank and the rest of Team Saxo Bank."

Neither Andy Schleck nor O'Grady was at the start of the tenth stage of the Vuelta a Espana on Tuesday in Tarragona.

UPDATED Andy Schleck, O'Grady Removed From Vuelta | Cyclingnews.com

Maybe he didn't want a Floyd Landis-esque "I had a few whiskeys and now I'm testing positive for steroids..." situation cropping up. :p

In this day and age one just can't believe it was a 'mistake'. He was so far down on the gc roster I'm betting it was planned, Riis included, as there was no benefit to having him remain there, possibly finishing the race dead last.

swampy1970 said:
UPDATED Andy Schleck, O'Grady Removed From Vuelta | Cyclingnews.com

Maybe he didn't want a Floyd Landis-esque "I had a few whiskeys and now I'm testing positive for steroids..." situation cropping up. :p

Seems a shame if this is Andy Shlecks and O'Gradys last act as Saxobank riders, especially after all the time they've been at the team and all they've acchieved but at the end of the day they're professionals and they know the rules

Well done by Bjarne, he did what he had to do. Andy's form has been questionable during this Vuelta, but I really question his commitment to his brother, going out for drinks. Shame on him.

I believe Bjarne is being a gentleman not telling the whole story, we have seen numerous times these guys drinking wine or champagne with their dinner. So IMO it definitely wasn't about one drink. We might have to wait until after the season to know the full background to BeerGate.

Is Riis losing control of these jackasses? Yes, but who cares, bunch of deadbeats.

This is IMO one of the differences between a TDF champion and a podium finisher. You would never catch AC, LA or Miguel Indurain doing this stuff. Its a black day for cycling.

This photo of Andy was leaked this morning by Riis with his snapper.

b4cdcdbc33e3887964e6529a44541f74a7631d76.jpg

Does this look like a future Tour winner to you?.

Riis also ramsacked O'Grady's room & found this...

fosters.jpg

roadhouse said:
In this day and age one just can't believe it was a 'mistake'. He was so far down on the gc roster I'm betting it was planned, Riis included, as there was no benefit to having him remain there, possibly finishing the race dead last.

Not starting after suffering from "food poisoning" would have been a much more elegant solution for saxo. Unrest within the team seems more likely, as much as I love a conspiracy theory...

mrfrogger said:
Not starting after suffering from "food poisoning" would have been a much more elegant solution for saxo. Unrest within the team seems more likely, as much as I love a conspiracy theory...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfd30llQVoI]YouTube - Bodies-sex pistols lyrics[/ame]

I could've posted Pennyroyal Tea as it pertains to cleansing and killing such as it may or may not relate to the cleansing and killing of pro cycling just as easily but this one gets more attention.

plus I had it on in my earpiece. :p

Saxo Bank duo stayed out until 5 a.m. ahead of stage

Saxo Bank team manager Bjarne Riis has revealed that he sent Andy Schleck and Stuart O'Grady home from the Vuelta a España because they stayed out until 5 a.m. last night. The duo were withdrawn by their team ahead of today's stage 10 from Tarragona to Vilanova i la Geltrú.

"They haven't respected the rules of the team," Riis said after the stage. "Whether it's one glass or ten, at 5 a.m., it's inexcusable. I've done what I had to do. The rules of the team are the same for everyone. We are professionals and we have to act professionally. I had to take this decision. It's up to them to assume the consequences of what they've done."

In a statement earlier today, Schleck had admitted to having a drink after dinner with O'Grady and said that while he accepted Riis's position, he felt that the punishment was too harsh.

Riis also confirmed that Schleck and O'Grady's suspension is applicable solely to the Vuelta. "The punishment is enough, it won't go beyond the Vuelta," he said.

Out on the p1ss and taking the p1ss simultaneously... Genius.

Out until 5am doesn't sound like they had an inocent drink after dinner. I thought the punishment was harsh, but getting in at 5am is pretty irresponsible. Both O'Grady and Schleck are no longer 20-years-old. They should have at least made it back by 3am at the latest. Last time I was out that late I blacked out and woke up the next day sharing a motel bed with a medical cadaver. I apparently had a pretty good time last night:eek:

Just wish I had the energy to stay out on the **** till 5.00am and race at the same time:D:D:D

Like Schleck really gives a rats ass if he got booted off the team. So what, people are dying to get him and his brother on their payroll to win. I understand setting an example..but this is silly and a good way to wreck your team.