Andy's Training, this might be dumb but...

watts4speed

Nov 25, 2006
I've been wonder lately about AC's own L4 workouts he's described on the Wattage forum. I might get the exact number wrong here since I'm recalling them from memory, but it's close enough to ask the question.

Andy will build his threshold up to near 90% of VO2Max using 2x20min L4 workouts twice a week in a slow progression of 5W increases every one to two weeks to near his genetic limit of 300W (not to shabby for a 68Kg rider).

Others, including myself, will spend much more time at L4/week. Is there a reason to do this? I might have this wrong, but spending a ton of time at L4 while good as far a providing a training impulse, can knock down hormone levels needed for recovery.

So why not do 2x20min:L4 twice a week and then some other work as needed by ones target event, other than I like to ride a lot :)?

watts4speed said:
I've been wonder lately about AC's own L4 workouts he's described on the Wattage forum. I might get the exact number wrong here since I'm recalling them from memory, but it's close enough to ask the question.

Andy will build his threshold up to near 90% of VO2Max using 2x20min L4 workouts twice a week in a slow progression of 5W increases every one to two weeks to near his genetic limit of 300W (not to shabby for a 68Kg rider).

Others, including myself, will spend much more time at L4/week. Is there a reason to do this? I might have this wrong, but spending a ton of time at L4 while good as far a providing a training impulse, can knock down hormone levels needed for recovery.

So why not do 2x20min:L4 twice a week and then some other work as needed by ones target event, other than I like to ride a lot :)?
recent thread on here :

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t381756.html

Hormones: I have no idea ...

I think mentioning hormones confuses my question. My question really is since Andy can get to a good level of fitness with 2x20min twice a week systematically increasing wattage, why bother with a ton of L4?

watts4speed said:
I think mentioning hormones confuses my question. My question really is since Andy can get to a good level of fitness with 2x20min twice a week systematically increasing wattage, why bother with a ton of L4?
I think the point is that Andy [as he has said before] doesn't let his fitness drop very far at any point during a given year. So for him, this may be all he needs to maintain his FTP, but for someone not as close to their genetic potential, more training would be required.

-Eric

Bullseye_blam said:
I think the point is that Andy [as he has said before] doesn't let his fitness drop very far at any point during a given year. So for him, this may be all he needs to maintain his FTP, but for someone not as close to their genetic potential, more training would be required.

-Eric
Good answer.

For those not having hit a significant plateau, more is more IMHO :)

Of course you can trade off intensity for duration down to a certain level but I think there's little doubt that as much L3/L4 as you can stand is a good thing (in the long term).

Are you serious that Andy's FT is 300w??? If that's the case, there is little hope for me to hit 300w since I weight only 61Kg to 62Kg. :D

watts4speed said:

TiMan said:
I think Andy is only 65 kilo's by the way...with 300watts FTP

:)
Andy's thin, but I'm pretty sure he's 68kg (150lbs) unless he's lost weight in the last couple years.