Anecdotal warnings

Richard

Guest
Thinking back to my formative years, there was an awful lot of garbage
spouted by those in authority. I clearly remember my head teacher, who
used to commute by tricycle (one of the upright ones, not a darksider)
summon us to assembly. Apparently, some little scallys had mocked her
transport choice as she cycled past. She promised retribution because
"if you call a driver names, and he gets angry and upset over it, he
might then crash and kill someone else because he's still angry from
your name-calling. And the accident would therefore be your fault."
(not verbatim, naturally, this was 25 years ago...)

Around that time I passed my cycling proficiency, and was carefully
signalling right in the middle of the road waiting to turn into a side
street; being an earnest little chap I had my arm stuck out like a
semaphore signaller, far more obvious than my "terse" signals today. :)
A teacher happened to be passing, also cycling and pedalling the other
way; he bellowed, "Idiot! You should never ride in the middle of the road!"

R.

"Richard" <[email protected]>
> Thinking back to my formative years, there was an awful lot of garbage
> spouted by those in authority. I clearly remember my head teacher, who
> used to commute by tricycle (one of the upright ones, not a darksider)
> summon us to assembly. Apparently, some little scallys had mocked her
> transport choice as she cycled past. She promised retribution because
> "if you call a driver names, and he gets angry and upset over it, he
> might then crash and kill someone else because he's still angry from
> your name-calling. And the accident would therefore be your fault."
> (not verbatim, naturally, this was 25 years ago...)
>
> Around that time I passed my cycling proficiency, and was carefully
> signalling right in the middle of the road waiting to turn into a side
> street; being an earnest little chap I had my arm stuck out like a
> semaphore signaller, far more obvious than my "terse" signals today. :)
> A teacher happened to be passing, also cycling and pedalling the other
> way; he bellowed, "Idiot! You should never ride in the middle of the

road!"

> R.

I suppose one of the problems is that it is 'natural' to associate teachers
with authority - it's a cultural
thing. Of course they are just a bunch of people - with all sorts of wierd
opinions expressed.
Unfortunately, they get to influence children with their opinions as well as
their scholarly activities.

Graham

Richard wrote:
> Thinking back to my formative years,

Ah, clearly someone entering their "anecdotage". ;-)

> there was an awful lot of garbage
> spouted by those in authority. I clearly remember my head teacher,
> who used to commute by tricycle (one of the upright ones, not a
> darksider) summon us to assembly. Apparently, some little scallys
> had mocked her transport choice as she cycled past. She promised
> retribution because "if you call a driver names, and he gets angry
> and upset over it, he might then crash and kill someone else because he's
> still angry from
> your name-calling. And the accident would therefore be your fault."
> (not verbatim, naturally, this was 25 years ago...)
>
> Around that time I passed my cycling proficiency, and was carefully
> signalling right in the middle of the road waiting to turn into a side
> street; being an earnest little chap I had my arm stuck out like a
> semaphore signaller, far more obvious than my "terse" signals today.
> :) A teacher happened to be passing, also cycling and pedalling the
> other way; he bellowed, "Idiot! You should never ride in the middle of
> the
> road!"

<*tsk*> What do grown-ups know, eh?

Tim

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:39:58 +0100, "Tim Downie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ah, clearly someone entering their "anecdotage". ;-)

Cloff!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Mark Thompson wrote:
>>http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiBEANEARS.html
>>
>>A local singer plays this as his "signature" tune.

> Brilliant. MP3 or retract.

Next time I do sound for the guy (If there is a next time...) I'll make
a recording. In the meantime, if you're ever in Edinburgh and see that
Sam Whelan is playing, pop along and have a listen.

Jon

Richard wrote:
> Thinking back to my formative years, there was an awful lot of garbage
> spouted by those in authority. I clearly remember my head teacher, who
> used to commute by tricycle (one of the upright ones, not a darksider)
> summon us to assembly. Apparently, some little scallys had mocked her
> transport choice as she cycled past. She promised retribution because
> "if you call a driver names, and he gets angry and upset over it, he
> might then crash and kill someone else because he's still angry from
> your name-calling. And the accident would therefore be your fault."
> (not verbatim, naturally, this was 25 years ago...)

> Around that time I passed my cycling proficiency, and was carefully
> signalling right in the middle of the road waiting to turn into a side
> street; being an earnest little chap I had my arm stuck out like a
> semaphore signaller, far more obvious than my "terse" signals today. :)
> A teacher happened to be passing, also cycling and pedalling the other
> way; he bellowed, "Idiot! You should never ride in the middle of the
> road!"
>
> R.

One of my schoolteachers told us that anyone who picked their nose
would die of lung disease (this was when I was about 6 or 7). I took
it seriously at the time.

Simon Proven wrote:
> One of my schoolteachers told us that anyone who picked their nose
> would die of lung disease (this was when I was about 6 or 7). I took
> it seriously at the time.

Shortage of breath?

...d