Anemia question: is my 13.4 grams per decileter count (for a man) cause for worry?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Usenet User, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Usenet User

    Usenet User Guest

    I seem to have anemia. Normal hemoglobin count for men is 14 - 16 grams per deciliter. I came in
    under 14 a few years ago during a routine physical, and again tested at 13.4 during my physical
    last week.

    The doctor suggests this may be nothing to worry about, as 13.4 is so close to the normal range.
    However, I saw him at an HMO, and my impression of HMOs is that one has to be aggressive/proactive
    to insure that one receives necessary care.

    On the other hand, maybe he's absolutely right -- and 13.4 *is* nothing to worry about.

    I take vitamin supplements, and should be getting plenty of B12, iron and folic acid. I have shown
    some anemia symptoms -- fatigue, and mild headaches -- but the symptoms haven't been pronounced.

    Comments, anyone?

    Tags:

  2. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    "Usenet User" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to have anemia. Normal hemoglobin count for men is 14 - 16 grams per deciliter. I came in
    > under 14 a few years ago during a routine physical, and again tested at 13.4 during my physical
    > last week. The doctor suggests this may be nothing to worry about, as 13.4 is so close to the
    > normal range.

    I think your anemia is not primary (due to insufficent dietary intake) but secondary (due to lack of
    absorption) You should ensure that your ascorbic acid intake is pretty high and also you may want to
    consume more plant foods and vegetables as being low calories food you have the chance to eat more
    of them without consuming excessive calories Remember that a steak contain very few iron compared to
    its caloris content so that to get 5mg you have also to get 1500 calories and you are forced to
    consume more calories to get enough iron Since it's impossible to consume a lot of food just for its
    iron content, you end up consuming a lot of meat calories just to get not enough mgs of iron
    Increasing the plant content of your diet solve the iron/calories unbalance problem You should also
    check your ferritin level and ensure it's not too high

  3. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 28 Oct 2003 12:54:57 -0800, [email protected] (Usenet User) wrote:

    >I seem to have anemia. Normal hemoglobin count for men is 14 - 16 grams per deciliter. I came in
    >under 14 a few years ago during a routine physical, and again tested at 13.4 during my physical
    >last week.
    >
    >The doctor suggests this may be nothing to worry about, as 13.4 is so close to the normal range.

    Idiopathic anemia is the number one symptom of undiagnosed celiac disease. And with recent studies
    in the US showing an incidence of 1:150, mostly undiagnosed, the probability is high enough for you
    to investigate this.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

  4. On 28 Oct 2003 12:54:57 -0800, [email protected] (Usenet User) wrote:

    >I seem to have anemia. Normal hemoglobin count for men is 14 - 16 grams per deciliter. I came in
    >under 14 a few years ago during a routine physical, and again tested at 13.4 during my physical
    >last week.

    Really nothing to worry about. Having more than 15 is probably far worse. I for my part has about 12
    at the moment and my doctor said to me it is ok to stop eating iron now. When I started cure I was
    down in 10.4, and rather sleepy all day round. (Yes, I'm a male)

  5. Usenet User

    Usenet User Guest

    Thanks to those who responded. I guess that a 13.4 count is nothing to worry about. I might want to
    keep an eye on it from now on.

    news:<[email protected]>...

  6. "Nicholas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Usenet User" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I seem to have anemia. Normal hemoglobin count for men is 14 - 16 grams per deciliter. I came in
    > > under 14 a few years ago during a routine physical, and again tested at 13.4 during my physical
    > > last week. The doctor suggests this may be nothing to worry about, as 13.4 is so close to the
    > > normal range.
    >
    > I think your anemia is not primary (due to insufficent dietary intake) but secondary (due to lack
    > of absorption) You should ensure that your ascorbic acid intake is pretty high and also
    you
    > may want to consume more plant foods and vegetables as being low calories food you have the chance
    > to eat more of them without consuming excessive calories Remember that a steak contain very few
    > iron compared to its caloris
    content
    > so that to get 5mg you have also to get 1500 calories and you are forced
    > consume more calories to get enough iron Since it's impossible to consume a lot of food just for
    > its iron content, you end up consuming a lot of meat calories just to get not enough mgs of iron
    > Increasing the plant content of your diet solve the iron/calories
    unbalance
    > problem You should also check your ferritin level and ensure it's not too high

    Maybe you ought to eat some whole baby clams.

    news:[email protected]...