anerobic threshold

bryanquinn

Jan 19, 2004
I am unclear on anerobic threshold. My question is where is anerobic threshold. Is it the point where my heart rate crosses into the red line zone? or where my heart crosses from aerobic into the anerobic zone. Thank you.

O.k. now I'm really confused. I was under the impression that I could determine my max heart rate then determine where certain heart rate zones lie. I have heard sinse reading at this forum(and I find it a God send) that Sally Edwards book is out dated. For me, as close as I can come to, my max heart rate is somwhere around 190. That being said my anerobic zone (80 to 90% of my max HR) falls between 152 to 171 bpm using her methodology. Below that(70 to 80% of max HR) should be my aerobic zone. Above that 80 to 90% mark (90 to 100%) should be my red line zone. Because I use a spinervals work out exercise two days a week I felt I should know where anerobic threshold begins or is ( mind you I feel stupid asking this). I'm thinking it's where I cross over into the redline zone? I know I have some reading to do to catch up with finding out what LT is all about, but I'm thinking I can still benefit from Sally's book.
Thanks again,
bryan

Originally posted by bryanquinn
O.k. now I'm really confused. I was under the impression that I could determine my max heart rate then determine where certain heart rate zones lie. I have heard sinse reading at this forum(and I find it a God send) that Sally Edwards book is out dated. For me, as close as I can come to, my max heart rate is somwhere around 190. That being said my anerobic zone (80 to 90% of my max HR) falls between 152 to 171 bpm using her methodology. Below that(70 to 80% of max HR) should be my aerobic zone. Above that 80 to 90% mark (90 to 100%) should be my red line zone. Because I use a spinervals work out exercise two days a week I felt I should know where anerobic threshold begins or is ( mind you I feel stupid asking this). I'm thinking it's where I cross over into the redline zone? I know I have some reading to do to catch up with finding out what LT is all about, but I'm thinking I can still benefit from Sally's book.
Thanks again,
bryan

I would forget about "zones" as they are not set in stone. Many things that look good on paper are not realistic. A general rule of thumb is that if you can't sustain an intensity for any significant period of time, legs are burning more and more, etc, then you have passed your anerobic threshold and are going into oxygen deficit. This happens when you sprint. After a few personal tests (time trials, etc,) you should be able to figure out what your threshold is as it relates to HR. This of course may vary fairly significantly depending on your fitness, training schedule, etc.

Gotcha. Just started reading Joe Friel's book The Cyclists Training Bible. I understand a little more concerning LT now. Thanks for your help and patience.

having done 3 sports swimming, running, and cycling your anerobic threshold is not the same but i good way to find it is to get your average heart rate that you can sustain for 25-30min we did alot of this kind of work when i swam. Training at this intensity level can be very helpful

One way to get to know your LT is to make a simple(?) test like this: Warm-up for 10-20 minutes. Then start with a moderate resistance and hold that for a minute or two, increase the resistance, hold for a minute or two, increase, ... Until you cannot go any more. Keep your favourite rpm during the test.

Now, where is your LT? Look at your heart rate (yea, you need a heart rate monitor) change during the test. You should notice a close to linear increase in the beginning and at a certain point the increase becomes higher. THat point is where your LT is.

This is not a very easy test to do, but you can experiment with it a few times and get a fairly good result.

Good luck.