Anger!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, May 16, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    When you're really, really pissed off at something some
    idiot motorist has just done. How do you handle it?

    A couple of times I've just sworn at the [email protected] -- but this
    usually gets them madder (it might be my face) -- which just
    makes things worse and possibly dangerous.

    Today I had an encounter with an Audi driver speeding past
    me and cutting me up at the lights. He really wanted to
    start something. He followed me to the local Tesco,
    whereupon I noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath and
    told him so. To which he replied "So, who are you going to
    tell?"!! I just dismissed him and went into the shop.

    But what are we to do? What's the best way to handle
    such things?

    Tags:

  2. "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When you're really, really pissed off at something some
    > idiot motorist has just done. How do you handle it?
    >
    > A couple of times I've just sworn at the [email protected] -- but this
    > usually gets
    them
    > madder (it might be my face) -- which just makes things
    > worse and possibly dangerous.
    >
    > Today I had an encounter with an Audi driver speeding past
    > me and cutting
    me
    > up at the lights. He really wanted to start something. He
    > followed me to
    the
    > local Tesco, whereupon I noticed the smell of alcohol on
    > his breath and
    told
    > him so. To which he replied "So, who are you going to
    > tell?"!! I just dismissed him and went into the shop.
    >
    > But what are we to do? What's the best way to handle
    > such things?

    Put it behind you and move on. Lifes to short to be
    irritated by aresholes.

  3. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:52:13 +0100 someone who may be "Simonb"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >He followed me to the local Tesco, whereupon I noticed the
    >smell of alcohol on his breath and told him so. To which he
    >replied "So, who are you going to tell?"!! I just dismissed
    >him and went into the shop.

    The police tend to be interested in people who might be
    driving under the influence of alcohol.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    David Hansen wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:52:13 +0100 someone who may be
    > "Simonb" <[email protected]>
    > wrote this:-
    >
    >> He followed me to the local Tesco, whereupon I noticed
    >> the smell of alcohol on his breath and told him so. To
    >> which he replied "So, who are you going to tell?"!! I
    >> just dismissed him and went into the shop.
    >
    > The police tend to be interested in people who might be
    > driving under the influence of alcohol.

    I know. But no mobile, no coppers around.

  5. Simonb wrote:

    > I noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath and told him
    > so. To which he replied "So, who are you going to tell?"!!

    I thought "the police" was a fairly logical answer?

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:30:32 +0100 someone who may be "Simonb"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >But no mobile, no coppers around.

    It is becoming a problem as telephone boxes are removed from
    all but central areas and residential areas.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
    government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  7. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Simonb [email protected] opined the
    following...
    > But what are we to do? What's the best way to handle
    > such things?

    Guns... Really. Big. Guns!

    Or more practically: Get yourself a small digital camera and
    a mobile phone. Pointedly take photos of both the driver and
    the number plate and then phone the local plod and pass on
    the details.

    Jon

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > When you're really, really pissed off at something some
    > idiot motorist has just done. How do you handle it?
    >
    > A couple of times I've just sworn at the [email protected] -- but this
    > usually gets them madder (it might be my face) -- which
    > just makes things worse and possibly dangerous.
    >
    > Today I had an encounter with an Audi driver speeding past
    > me and cutting me up at the lights. He really wanted to
    > start something. He followed me to the local Tesco,
    > whereupon I noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath and
    > told him so. To which he replied "So, who are you going to
    > tell?"!! I just dismissed him and went into the shop.
    >
    > But what are we to do? What's the best way to handle
    > such things?

    Isolated incidents of minor cut-ups that don't actually do
    any harm are best instantly forgotten. But a driver should
    be reported to the police straight away via 999 if you
    suspect he will be driving while drunk. The smell of alcohol
    was enough, IMO, let alone his erratic driving.

    ~PB

  9. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Isolated incidents of minor cut-ups that don't actually do
    > any harm are best instantly forgotten. But a driver should
    > be reported to the police straight away via 999 if you
    > suspect he will be driving while drunk. The smell of
    > alcohol was enough, IMO, let alone his erratic driving.

    I feel a complete idiot for not reporting him. I just wanted
    to get shot of him, he was a nasty bastard and really
    itching for a fight. I suppose he intimidated me out of it.
    I'm not much of a fighter -- not at all really.

  10. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Isolated incidents of minor cut-ups that don't actually do
    > any harm are best instantly forgotten. But a driver should
    > be reported to the police straight away via 999 if you
    > suspect he will be driving while drunk. The smell of
    > alcohol was enough, IMO, let alone his erratic driving.

    I feel a complete idiot for not reporting him. I just wanted
    to get shot of him, he was a nasty bastard and really
    itching for a fight. I suppose he intimidated me out of it.
    I'm not much of a fighter -- not at all really.

  11. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:52:13 +0100, "Simonb"
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >When you're really, really pissed off at something some
    >idiot motorist has just done. How do you handle it?
    >
    >A couple of times I've just sworn at the [email protected] -- but this
    >usually gets them madder (it might be my face) -- which
    >just makes things worse and possibly dangerous.
    >
    >Today I had an encounter with an Audi driver speeding past
    >me and cutting me up at the lights. He really wanted to
    >start something. He followed me to the local Tesco,
    >whereupon I noticed the smell of alcohol on his breath and
    >told him so. To which he replied "So, who are you going to
    >tell?"!! I just dismissed him and went into the shop.
    >
    >But what are we to do? What's the best way to handle
    >such things?

    In /this/ case, let him walk off, then call the police on
    your mobile that a car driver drove after you
    menacingly with alcohol on his breath. And give them
    the registration number and a quick colour/model desc
    of the car.

    --
    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk

  12. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:58:29 +0100, Jon Senior
    <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> () wrote:

    >Simonb [email protected] opined
    >the following...
    >> But what are we to do? What's the best way to handle such
    >> things?
    >
    >Guns... Really. Big. Guns!
    >
    >Or more practically: Get yourself a small digital camera
    >and a mobile phone. Pointedly take photos of both the
    >driver and the number plate and then phone the local plod
    >and pass on the details.

    Who will promptly ignore it.

    Still, as, we've got a few tame filth posting here, they
    might be useful. What's the going rate for a PNC check these
    days? Used to be about £20 a couple of years back.

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  13. Whingin' Pom wrote:

    > Still, as, we've got a few tame filth posting here, they
    > might be useful. What's the going rate for a PNC check
    > these days? Used to be about =A320 a couple of years
    > back.=20

    I think you're disadvantaging any potential success with
    your request by =

    referring to them as "tame filth". You might find the rate a
    little=20 cheaper if you chose your nomenclature more
    carefully.

    --=20 Mark.

  14. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,=20
    [email protected] says...
    > Who will promptly ignore it.=20
    >=20
    > Still, as, we've got a few tame filth posting here, they
    > might be useful. What's the going rate for a PNC check
    > these days? Used to be about =A320 a couple of years
    > back.=20

    What are the requirements for you to insist on an incident
    number? If=20 you have an incident number then it has to be
    logged. Keep a tally of=20 vehicles you have reported and if
    you've reported the same one more than=20 three times (say),
    phone up with the relevant incident numbers and ask=20 what
    action has been taken.

    Jon

  15. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When you're really, really pissed off at something some
    > idiot motorist has just done. How do you handle it?

    On a day like today, just be thankful you are fit, healthy
    and not in a car. Feel sorry for them as they are not
    experiencing the things you are, that's why he is mad and
    angry and has to seek solace in the bottle.

    He thought his Audi would make him respected and happy and
    doesn't know what else he can do to find it. The next thing
    you know he will be wearing a red ribbon around his wrist to
    ward off evil spirits ;-)

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W™
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  16. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:15:32 +0100, Mark Tranchant
    <[email protected]> () wrote:

    >Whingin' Pom wrote:
    >
    >> Still, as, we've got a few tame filth posting here, they
    >> might be useful. What's the going rate for a PNC check
    >> these days? Used to be about £20 a couple of years back.
    >
    >I think you're disadvantaging any potential success with
    >your request by referring to them as "tame filth". You
    >might find the rate a little cheaper if you chose your
    >nomenclature more carefully.

    :)

    In the unlikely event of me needing a PNC check in the UK, I
    will indeed phrase my request in a more appropriate fashion.
    After all, "contempt of cop" is only the quick route to a
    whole world of hurt.

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  17. In news:[email protected],
    Gawnsoft <[email protected]> typed:
    > In /this/ case, let him walk off, then call the police on
    > your mobile that a car driver drove after you
    > menacingly with alcohol on his breath. And give them
    > the registration number and a quick colour/model desc
    > of the car.

    And the direction it's heading in, if you know.