Angina?

J

James

I was wondering if anyone had experienced, or knows someone, who has had symptoms similar to what my
mother appears to be having (please see below). I'd really appreciate any info, or links to helpful
websites anyone may have. I can also be reached at the e-mail address with this message, just remove
NOSPAM from it.

"Please can anyone tell me if they get similar chest symptoms to me after being physically active
and what they do about them? I start to perspire, then have a short series of cramping sensations
across the heart. The "cramps" used to be followed by short, sharp pains before being medicated
(high blood pressure, cholestral, beta-blocker) The worst pains extended down the left arm. Also, I
occassionally have a steady, numb type of pain over the heart which clears up in a day or two. My
internist said I have a slight thickening of the heart walls, there is no blockage, and the chest
symptoms are muscular."

Thank you for any help you can give us, -James

---------------------------POST VIA-------------------------------- news://nntp.xusenet.com
http://www.xusenet.com
===================================================================

On 2004-02-21 11:53:33 -0500, "James" <[email protected]> said:

> I was wondering if anyone had experienced, or knows someone, who has had symptoms similar to what
> my mother appears to be having (please see below).

I don't know anything about your mother's past medical history or her risk factors for
cardiovascular disease, but the symptoms you described should be presumed to be angina until proven
otherwise. IMO, she needs a "stress test" (e.g., a persantine Cardiolyte) - if she hasn't already
had one - to explore this in more detail, and to assess whether or not she has something going on
that can be treated interventionally. Her internist says "there's no blockage", but you didn't say
how that was determined. If the only thing done was an EKG or chest x-ray, ischemia has not been
effectively ruled out.

>I don't know anything about your mother's past medical history or her risk factors for
>cardiovascular disease, but the symptoms you described

>should be presumed to be angina until proven otherwise. IMO, she needs a "stress test" (e.g., a
>persantine Cardiolyte) - if she hasn't already

>had one - to explore this in more detail, and to assess whether or not she has something going on
>that can be treated interventionally. Her internist says "there's no blockage", but you didn't say
>how that was determined. If the only thing done was an EKG or chest x-ray, ischemia has not been
>effectively ruled out.

Thank you very much for the comments. She just saw her doctor today and is arranging an appointment
with a cardiologist to hopefully get to the bottom of what's going on... Thanks again-

-James

---------------------------POST VIA-------------------------------- news://nntp.xusenet.com
http://www.xusenet.com
===================================================================