AngleTech AeroTrunk OPINONS?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jkeenan, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Jkeenan

    Jkeenan Guest

    If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How much can it hold? Have you
    been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.

    I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
    away.....".

    Thanks

    Joe 'recumbo' Keenan

    Tags:

  2. Daybiker

    Daybiker Guest

    "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How much can it hold? Have you
    > been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.
    >
    > I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
    > away.....".
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Joe 'recumbo' Keenan

    Joe......I have a AreoTrunk that I have been using for about 3 months. I've found it to be a well
    made product. I can put 100% of the items in it as I did in my old Kelty day and half backpack.
    I've found I can motel tour with just this one bag, but I have not gone on any long ones yet
    because of time. I'm not a fast rider on long rides so I really can't say I've picked up much
    speed there. I did however run my own, not so very scientific test, using three of my bikes. I
    ran a course riding a Rocket, V2, and Vivo. It only seemed to make a difference with the faired
    V2. I seemed to pickup about 1.5 miles per hour. You have to understand that I do not hold myself
    up to be any type of fast. Thats why the course was only 10 miles in length. I did go flat out,
    with and without the bag on all three bikes. I did not buy this bag to pickup speed, only to hold
    gear. For faster riders then myself, which includes about everyone, it very well may help. They
    may be hard to get right now. Good luck!

  3. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    [email protected] (daybiker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How much can it hold? Have
    > > you been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.
    > >
    > > I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
    > > away.....".
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Joe 'recumbo' Keenan
    >
    > Joe......I have a AreoTrunk that I have been using for about 3 months. I've found it to be a
    > well made product. I can put 100% of the items in it as I did in my old Kelty day and half
    > backpack. I've found I can motel tour with just this one bag, but I have not gone on any long
    > ones yet because of time. I'm not a fast rider on long rides so I really can't say I've picked
    > up much speed there. I did however run my own, not so very scientific test, using three of my
    > bikes. I ran a course riding a Rocket, V2, and Vivo. It only seemed to make a difference with
    > the faired V2. I seemed to pickup about 1.5 miles per hour. You have to understand that I do
    > not hold myself up to be any type of fast. Thats why the course was only 10 miles in length. I
    > did go flat out, with and without the bag on all three bikes. I did not buy this bag to pickup
    > speed, only to hold gear. For faster riders then myself, which includes about everyone, it very
    > well may help. They may be hard to get right now. Good luck!

    Joe: I've had my AeroTrunk for a couple of months. Mine is used on my Bachetta Aero and came from
    Angle Lake's Dale Clark (Kelvin's brother - they designed this item jointly and they're actually
    made up here in Puyallup, WA). At any rate, it seems very well made and about as light as it could
    be for the size it is. No, I haven't done any scientific testing, a virtual impossibility, anyway.
    As mentioned by some of the prior posts earlier, it will certainly hold more than most of us would
    want to carry. It really is large, but needs to be in order to avoid the large low pressure area
    behind the seat. Anything less wouldn't have much effect. I use a large bladder from my Camelbak
    with an extension of the feed tube - which I clip to the right handlebar using a Camelbak clip. So
    far, I haven't figured out how to come from the bottom of the AeroTrunk directly up to my right
    shoulder. Having ridden the Aero about 600+miles with the Trunk I'm convinced that the Aero is about
    as streamlined as we can get without going to the full body sock/fairing route. No one thing makes
    or breaks it; it's a matter of a whole bunch of little things that make the bike slippery, and I
    feel the AeroTrunk is an important part of the overall effect. Bob Rogers - Aero Ti, V-2, Screamer
    and 2 BikeE's.

  4. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    Here is a cut-and-paste from a post I made a few days back...

    Received an AngleTech Areotrunk last week. Here's my opinion of it after several days of riding with
    it mounted on my RANS Tailwind.

    - First off, it's very big, 2850 cubic inches (that's the primary reason I bought it). My old 1250
    cubic inch bag just wasn't large enough for my winter commuting. I often carry extra warm clothes
    in addition to carrying my work clothes/laundry, lunch box, repair kits, etc back and forth
    to/from work-and sometimes I had to use a bungy cord to strap some of my clothes on the outside
    of the bag. With the AngleTech Aerotrunk, it all fits inside nicely.

    - Second, it does seem to make my Tailwind a little faster. In truth, I really haven't ridden with
    it long enough to know if it is just a placebo effect, or if it really does make a difference.
    AngleTech's advertisement states their riders were 2 - 3 mph faster with the Aerotrunk. My speed
    increase hasn't been that dramatic, about 1-mph (but hey, that's still a step in the right
    direction). However, I'll have to ride a bit further before I can conclude that the Aerotrunk is
    truly the cause of it.

    - Finally, it does look nice on the Tailwind (I bought a red one that matches the paint on my
    Tailwind quite well).

    Brian

    "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How
    much
    > can it hold? Have you been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.
    >
    > I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
    > away.....".
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Joe 'recumbo' Keenan

  5. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    [email protected] (**BentAero**GC**) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bob:
    >
    > You don't happen to have a photo or two of your Aero with the AeroTrunk installed do you?
    >
    > Curious, GaryC http://blackrush.home.att.net

    Gary: I'm sorry, I don't. At this time I'm up in Seattle and the bike's down in Palm Springs.
    However, I'll be back down there on/about 2/10. If you're curious, you could call Dale Clark @ Angle
    Lake Cyclery here in Seattle at (206)878-7457. Dale and his brother, Kelvin designed the bag. I did
    some "development work" to make the M5 seat mounting adapter work better. Dale could give you the
    details on that. Also, I think Kelvin's web site for AngleTech has pictures of the tailbag on the
    back of an Aero. As I said earlier, I'm very pleased with the quality and versatility of the bag.
    Bob Rogers