AngleTech AeroTrunk OPINONS?

Jkeenan

Guest
If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How much can it hold? Have you
been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.

I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
away.....".

Thanks

Joe 'recumbo' Keenan

"JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How much can it hold? Have you
> been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.
>
> I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
> away.....".
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe 'recumbo' Keenan

Joe......I have a AreoTrunk that I have been using for about 3 months. I've found it to be a well
made product. I can put 100% of the items in it as I did in my old Kelty day and half backpack.
I've found I can motel tour with just this one bag, but I have not gone on any long ones yet
because of time. I'm not a fast rider on long rides so I really can't say I've picked up much
speed there. I did however run my own, not so very scientific test, using three of my bikes. I
ran a course riding a Rocket, V2, and Vivo. It only seemed to make a difference with the faired
V2. I seemed to pickup about 1.5 miles per hour. You have to understand that I do not hold myself
up to be any type of fast. Thats why the course was only 10 miles in length. I did go flat out,
with and without the bag on all three bikes. I did not buy this bag to pickup speed, only to hold
gear. For faster riders then myself, which includes about everyone, it very well may help. They
may be hard to get right now. Good luck!

[email protected] (daybiker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How much can it hold? Have
> > you been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.
> >
> > I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
> > away.....".
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Joe 'recumbo' Keenan
>
> Joe......I have a AreoTrunk that I have been using for about 3 months. I've found it to be a
> well made product. I can put 100% of the items in it as I did in my old Kelty day and half
> backpack. I've found I can motel tour with just this one bag, but I have not gone on any long
> ones yet because of time. I'm not a fast rider on long rides so I really can't say I've picked
> up much speed there. I did however run my own, not so very scientific test, using three of my
> bikes. I ran a course riding a Rocket, V2, and Vivo. It only seemed to make a difference with
> the faired V2. I seemed to pickup about 1.5 miles per hour. You have to understand that I do
> not hold myself up to be any type of fast. Thats why the course was only 10 miles in length. I
> did go flat out, with and without the bag on all three bikes. I did not buy this bag to pickup
> speed, only to hold gear. For faster riders then myself, which includes about everyone, it very
> well may help. They may be hard to get right now. Good luck!

Joe: I've had my AeroTrunk for a couple of months. Mine is used on my Bachetta Aero and came from
Angle Lake's Dale Clark (Kelvin's brother - they designed this item jointly and they're actually
made up here in Puyallup, WA). At any rate, it seems very well made and about as light as it could
be for the size it is. No, I haven't done any scientific testing, a virtual impossibility, anyway.
As mentioned by some of the prior posts earlier, it will certainly hold more than most of us would
want to carry. It really is large, but needs to be in order to avoid the large low pressure area
behind the seat. Anything less wouldn't have much effect. I use a large bladder from my Camelbak
with an extension of the feed tube - which I clip to the right handlebar using a Camelbak clip. So
far, I haven't figured out how to come from the bottom of the AeroTrunk directly up to my right
shoulder. Having ridden the Aero about 600+miles with the Trunk I'm convinced that the Aero is about
as streamlined as we can get without going to the full body sock/fairing route. No one thing makes
or breaks it; it's a matter of a whole bunch of little things that make the bike slippery, and I
feel the AeroTrunk is an important part of the overall effect. Bob Rogers - Aero Ti, V-2, Screamer
and 2 BikeE's.

Here is a cut-and-paste from a post I made a few days back...

Received an AngleTech Areotrunk last week. Here's my opinion of it after several days of riding with
it mounted on my RANS Tailwind.

- First off, it's very big, 2850 cubic inches (that's the primary reason I bought it). My old 1250
cubic inch bag just wasn't large enough for my winter commuting. I often carry extra warm clothes
in addition to carrying my work clothes/laundry, lunch box, repair kits, etc back and forth
to/from work-and sometimes I had to use a bungy cord to strap some of my clothes on the outside
of the bag. With the AngleTech Aerotrunk, it all fits inside nicely.

- Second, it does seem to make my Tailwind a little faster. In truth, I really haven't ridden with
it long enough to know if it is just a placebo effect, or if it really does make a difference.
AngleTech's advertisement states their riders were 2 - 3 mph faster with the Aerotrunk. My speed
increase hasn't been that dramatic, about 1-mph (but hey, that's still a step in the right
direction). However, I'll have to ride a bit further before I can conclude that the Aerotrunk is
truly the cause of it.

- Finally, it does look nice on the Tailwind (I bought a red one that matches the paint on my
Tailwind quite well).

Brian

"JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you've bought an AngleTech AeroTrunk, how is it? How's storage? How
much
> can it hold? Have you been "faster" because of the aero quality? Any and all commens welcome.
>
> I've put off building a Coroplast tailbox because of "Time...keeps on slipp'n...slip sliding
> away.....".
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe 'recumbo' Keenan

[email protected] (**BentAero**GC**) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Bob:
>
> You don't happen to have a photo or two of your Aero with the AeroTrunk installed do you?
>
> Curious, GaryC http://blackrush.home.att.net

Gary: I'm sorry, I don't. At this time I'm up in Seattle and the bike's down in Palm Springs.
However, I'll be back down there on/about 2/10. If you're curious, you could call Dale Clark @ Angle
Lake Cyclery here in Seattle at (206)878-7457. Dale and his brother, Kelvin designed the bag. I did
some "development work" to make the M5 seat mounting adapter work better. Dale could give you the
details on that. Also, I think Kelvin's web site for AngleTech has pictures of the tailbag on the
back of an Aero. As I said earlier, I'm very pleased with the quality and versatility of the bag.
Bob Rogers