AngleTech AeroTrunk

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Brian Hughes, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    I received an AngleTech Areotrunk last week. Here's my opinion of it after several days of riding
    with it mounted on my RANS Tailwind.

    - First off, it's very big, 2850 cubic inches (that's the primary reason I bought it). My old 1250
    cubic inch bag just wasn't large enough for my winter commuting. I often carry extra warm clothes
    in addition to carrying my work clothes/laundry, lunch box, repair kits, etc back and forth
    to/from work-and sometimes I had to use a bungy cord to strap some of my clothes on the outside
    of the bag. With the AngleTech Aerotrunk, it all fits inside nicely.

    - Second, it does seem to make my Tailwind a little faster. In truth, I really haven't ridden with
    it long enough to know if it is just a placebo effect, or if it really does make a difference.
    AngleTech's advertisement states their riders were 2 - 3 mph faster with the Aerotrunk. My speed
    increase hasn't been that dramatic, about 1-mph (but hey, that's still a step in the right
    direction). However, I'll have to ride a bit further before I can conclude that the Aerotrunk is
    truly the cause of it.

    - Finally, it does look nice on the Tailwind (I bought a red one that matches the paint on my
    Tailwind quite well).

    - On the negative side, the bag is supposedly designed to hold its aerodynamic shape. There is a
    semi-rigid plastic liner material that serves as the framework. Unfortunately, my bag showed up
    with a relatively large dent in the plastic, causing a rather ugly dent visible on the side of the
    Aerotrunk. I'm not sure what cause the dent: I suspect a shipping accident, rather than poor
    craftsmanship. I contemplated sending it back, but ended up fixing the problem by taping a
    cardboard strut across the inside of the bag to push the dent back to its proper shape so the bag
    looks nice and is in the proper aerodynamic shape.

    Brian

    Tags:

  2. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    I too received mine, haven't ridden with it but it looks well made. I bought the high visibility
    yellow. Have you tried taking a hair dryer, or a carefully, a heat guy to the dent in the plastic?
    Kelvin may be able to just send you a new plastic insert also.

  3. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    I didn't think to try a hair dryer until you brought it up. I gave it a try and it worked
    great--dent is gone. Thanks for the idea!

    Brian

    "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I too received mine, haven't ridden with it but it looks well made. I bought the high visibility
    > yellow. Have you tried taking a hair dryer, or a carefully, a heat guy to the dent in the plastic?
    > Kelvin may be able to just send you a new plastic insert also.

  4. David Luecke

    David Luecke Guest

    Woohoo! a.r.b.r. in action :) How cool is that?

    --
    David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Merritt Island, Florida USA

  5. I have a yellow AngleTech AeroTrunk on my Aero. I rode 3 centuries with it and normally average 15.5
    to 16.1 M.P.H. depending on the wind conditions. The main reason I got the AeroTrunk was for the
    professional built tailbox that would last. Since my speed is so slow, I get about 1/2 M.P.H.
    increase in speed when I hit 18 M.P.H. but when I push, I hit 20 easier. On a long downhill, I
    normally went 26 M.P.H. without pedaling. With the AngleTech AeroTrunk, I normally get 30 to 31
    M.P.H. depending on the debris on the road and the passing 16 wheelers. My speed uphill is about the
    same but I was thinking of adding a large helium balloon in the trunk to lighten the tailbox. :)

    I really like the handle on the AeroTrunk near the top of the seat so that I can pick up bike, tie
    the bike to a fence, or balance it. I also like the outside pocket in the front of the bag next to
    the seat where I can store my keys, thin gloves, and shoe caps. There are several pockets inside the
    tailbox to store the keys and money, but I only use them on long rides.

    I do have a small problem when I transport the bike on the back of my car. The tailbox is held above
    the wheel by a strap. The strap will get loose and I find the bag on the wheel if I drive more than
    40 miles for a ride. Also, because I have an M5 seat, I have this adapter that fits on top of the
    carbon part of the seat back. The adapter sometimes slides off to the side. The shifting is only
    about 1 inch in a 100 mile ride and does not stop my ride. I also noticed the shifting when I ride
    on very rough roads.

    Another small problem is running the camelback hose through the hole in the front of the bag. A
    small amount of water squirts out if I forget to put my finger on the top of the mouth piece. I was
    thinking of putting a short peice of PVC pipe so that I slide the tube through the hole.

    I am very satisfied with the AngleTech AeroTrunk!